Quantcast

Fences at Rockville - atrocity!

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
We've been discussing the problem of new fencing at Rockville on MTBR (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2438292) and it appears that there is a meeting in Fairfield on Tuesday night, November 14th at 6pm regarding this and other issues.

More info:
The Restore Rockville Committee formed in response to the extensive unauthorized construction of barbed wire fences, road building, damage to meadows, disruption of long established trails and severe degradation of the natural aesthetic that has always been the vision for Rockville Hills Park.

In 2000 and 2001 the city of Fairfield, with considerable input from the community, developed and adopted a Management Plan for Rockville Hills Park. The maze of fences now being constructed in the park is not part of that plan. The adopted plan does not include bulldozing wildflower meadows and hillsides that is ruining the park.

Our consensus position is that the city should stick to the Management Plan adopted by the City Council on 12/17/2002. The vision put forth in that plan is "to maintain a premier wilderness park rich in biological, geological, scenic and historic elements to be used by all citizens and visitors of Fairfield".

The plan includes a single continuous unobtrusive flat-wire wood post fence enclosing both lakes set back from the trails "with pedestrian and bicycle gates as needed tp maintain the current level of recreational use."

We demand removal of the additional unauthorized fences, restoring the trails to their traditional routes, returning the meadows that have been bulldozed and dug up to their previous flat contours (the wildflower beds may have been lost forever already).

As mentioned in the phase II plan, the long term effectiveness of cattle grazing for managing fuel load should be re-examined. We believe it is ineffective and causes more damage to oak regeneration, degraded slopes, trails, streams, and park aesthetics (by requiring fences, water troughs, and causing increased fly swarms, and 'patties', pollution, etc.) In grazed areas, there are no seedlings to replace the mature trees that are being lost each year.

Points and Questions to consider as you visit Rockville Hills Park:
1. The city leases land in the park for cattle grazing from about November to April. The city claims that this is necessary to reduce summer fire danger. While in the park, compare areas near the lakes with the southern and eastern sections that have never been grazed.
• Is there a difference in the amount of combustible material? Does it appear that cattle grazing has achieved any significant reduction in fuel load?
• Count young oak seedlings growing in grazed areas? Do you think that grazing is a good or bad long-term strategy for a healthy regenerative park?
2. A considerable sum of money (estimated to be well over $100,000) has been spent building fences, bulldozing meadow flowerbeds and planting tufts of grass inside the enclosures for what has been called “restoration”. Take note of how many plantings have survived. Consider whether the barbed wire enclosures with dead plants and grasses enhance your park experience, and whether there are other more beneficial ways this money could have been better spent to improve the park.
• Have the “restoration” efforts been successful or a waste of money?
• Has the “restoration” provided any benefit to park visitors to offset its considerable negative impact on the natural park experience?
• What other improvements might have been a higher priority or a better use of these funds?
3. The city says the barbed wire fences are to keep the cattle out of the lakes and from eating the dead “restoration” plantings. Without cattle grazing, fences would not be needed.
• Why do you think the fences are being installed?
• Do you think the fences will keep the cattle out?
• Notice the cemented gate posts and corner posts. Do you think the fences are permanent or temporary?
• What is the future of grazing in the park, and when are the fences expected to be removed?
4. The Management Plan for the park that was adopted by the city shows a single fence set back from trails with no trail rerouting, and with access gates for bicycles and hikers. The fencing installed so far bears little resemblance to the approved plan and far exceeds what was authorized by the City Council. As you visit, count the number of fences you see in the park.
• How many fences have been added so far?
• Does the fencing appear to have been intelligently planned and laid out to minimize impact on park visitors?
5. Take note of the new fire roads, and evaluate whether these have been dug responsibly and carefully, and whether the bulldozing has improved the fire roads. In some areas there are multiple routes that look like mistakes or changes of plan.
• Does it appear that the grading has been done with the intent of minimizing damage to the park and the vision of preserving the natural wildlands experience intended for the park?
• Are the fire roads too narrow, just right or too wide?
• Emergency vehicles are designed to drive where there are no roads, on hillsides, through fields, etc. Do you think the fire road grading was necessary and prudent?
How would you rate the overall management of Rockville Hills Park (poor, fair or good)?

What is on the agenda for tonights meeting? Who's going to be presenting? What is the goal of the meeting/ To inform the users or to actually voice opinion to the city managers?
Trying to figure out if it's worht to go to or just sign a petition and send out emails and phone calls to the right people.

BTC East Bay

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
East Bay
What is on the agenda for tonights meeting? Who's going to be presenting? What is the goal of the meeting/ To inform the users or to actually voice opinion to the city managers?
Trying to figure out if it's worht to go to or just sign a petition and send out emails and phone calls to the right people.
The questions you have will be answered at the meeting tonight. I am not sure if any official people will be there. It is a planning session to gather ideas on how to proceed.

The park super may be there. A city person may be there. Your attendance will allow you to ask any specific questions you may have during the meeting and you may have specific experience to bring to the intellect pool.

I popped off a question to the restorerockville yahoo group. Maybe I'll get a response for you in time...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Unfortunately I cannot be there tonight. Several of my friends will, and will fill me in on what happens.

I would encourage anyone who uses this park, or hopes to use this park to attend. Over the past year the park has become far less user friendly to the point where many frequent users (including myself) have publicly stated that it is being ruined.

I have spoken with the park manager on the phone (forget her name) about the need for cattle grazing and tried to get an idea for what was going on.

We need answers. Good trails are getting re-routed and blocked off in half-ass ways. Access through the park is limited, especially with a bike, due to the significant increase in gates.

etc. etc. etc.

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
Unfortunately I cannot be there tonight. Several of my friends will, and will fill me in on what happens.

I would encourage anyone who uses this park, or hopes to use this park to attend. Over the past year the park has become far less user friendly to the point where many frequent users (including myself) have publicly stated that it is being ruined.

I have spoken with the park manager on the phone (forget her name) about the need for cattle grazing and tried to get an idea for what was going on.

We need answers. Good trails are getting re-routed and blocked off in half-ass ways. Access through the park is limited, especially with a bike, due to the significant increase in gates.

etc. etc. etc.
The meeting went particularly well last night. There were more than 20 attendees, most of whom were mountain bikers. It was a diverse group of a variety of age, gender and park use types.

The biggest thing that I got out of the meting was that we need to continue to grow the group so that we can have adequate attendance at Fairfield City meetings to keep our opinion voiced.

If this is something that interests you and you can write emails or letters, let me know and I can forward you email and snail mail addresses and speaking/writing notes.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
begin forwarded message:

Attn All:

There Will Not Be A Meeting Of The Commuinity Services Commission Tonight (wed). Not Enough Members Were Available For A Quorum.

See You Tuesday, November 21, 2006 At The City Council Meeting.

This Is The Important One. Invite Your Friends, Relatives, Enemies, Etc.

A Show Of Force Is Very Important .

Dan Tilley

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
Latest news:

Next Tuesday, November 21 at 7:00 there will be a Fairfield City Council meeting.
1000 Webster Street
Fairfield, California 94533
Phone: (707) 428-7400

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
Hello Rockville Hills Park advocates:
At next Tuesday's Fairfield City Council meeting, Fred Beiner will be asking for $104,000 and a grazing lease for 2007. The agenda item has been posted on the Restore Rockville group site (in the files section).

The title reads as follows:
Resolution Approving Cattle Grazing in Rockville Hills Regional Park for the 2007 Season and Authorizing City Staff to Make The Necessary Repairs and Improvements to City Owned Fencing and to Add an Additional Source of Water for Cattle. (Fred Beiner, 428-7431)

The Executive Summary and Discussion sections contain a number of distortions and misrepresentations regarding grazing, fences, the Managemant Plan, and the condition of the park - everyone should read it.

If you agree that it makes no sense to spend $84,000 to repair fences to contain cows before re-evaluating the fuel load management strategy to determine whether cows will be used at all, then write to the Council members and come to the meeting next Tuesday (Feb 6). Email addresses can be found on the Save Rockville flyer in the files section of our site.

The Parks Planner is proposing to spend $84,000 on fences and $20,000 for a third water trough. The proposed water trough is on the opposite side of the park from where fuel load management is needed most.

The biggest fire danger is in the Green Valley section on the southwest side of the park which has never been grazed! If money is to be spent on fencing and a water trough, it should be used on the Green Valley section, where the impact on park users will be minimal, where no lake fencing is needed, and no repairs would then be needed this year.
Few park users would be affected by confining cattle to the areas of highest fire risk in the section of the park surrounded on three sides by residential housing developments.
As it looks like this will be a season of below average rainfall, the fuel load may not need to be 'managed' at all. Any other thoughts on this, or ideas on how to persuade the City Council not to graze the lake section of the park this year?

Useful email addresses for Council members. city staff and letters to the editors:

FF City Council
Mayor Harry T. Price 428-7395 (office), 422-4455 (home) harryp00@earthlink.net
Vice Mayor Jack Batson 249-3898 (cell), 422-6179 (home) jbatson00@earthlink.net

Councilmembers:
Marilyn Farley 249-6900 (cell), 434-0316 (home) mj_farley@hotmail.com
Frank Kardos 580-5139, (cell) fkardos00@earthlink.net
John Mraz 580-5712 (cell), jmraz00@earthlink.net

FF City Staff
Kevin O'Rourke korourke@ci.fairfield.ca.us
John DeLorenzo jdelorenzo@ci.fairfield.ca.us
Fred Beiner fbeiner@ci.fairfield.ca.us

FAIRFIELD DAILY REPUBLIC
E-mail pbutler@dailyrepublbutler@dailyrepublic.net>ic.net or bstanhope@dailyrepublic.net Mail: The Daily Republic P.O. Box 47 Fairfield, CA 94533 or drop off letters at 1250 Texas Street, downtown Fairfield.

VALLEJO TIMES HERALD
Send letters to Readers' Opinions, Times-Herald, P.O. Box 3188, Vallejo, CA 94590.
Fax: (707) 643-0128, or e-mail to opinion@timesheraldpinion@timesheraldonline.com>online.com

VACAVILLE REPORTER
Letters may be delivered to the offices of The Reporter at 916 Cotting Lane, or mailed to P.O. Box 1509, Vacaville, 95696, sent via Fax (707) 447-8411, or e-mail to letters@TheReporter.com

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I just recieved the email quoted below regarding tonights meeting:

Subject: Info to Send Out About Tonight's Meeting

I want to let you know that the Rockville Hills Park item has been pulled off of tonight's City Council meeting agenda. Instead, the City Manager will ask the City Council tonight to appoint a Council subcommittee to work with staff and concerned citizens to develop alternative fuel load reduction methods and mitigation alternatives. The City Manager will ask the Council subcommittee to report back to the City Council in about 45 days. City staff has already been considering alternative fuel load and mitigation methods and has received a proposal from LSA for assistance in this process. As promised, concerned citizens will be invited to assist the City in developing these alternative methods before any final decision is made.
Please continue to write emails communicating your concerns. It seems to be working!