Quantcast

Fendering off the rain

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Well the rainy season has set in and I finally got my wood Cody fenders on. While they won't work for extreme offroad use they do work fine for town and the path type trails here. A strong light, a lock and fenders the good Townie makes. Now on to trying to find a setup that will work on the trail bike!

fenders.jpg

fenders2.jpg

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Holy Geez do you ever have some nice bikes in your stable!
Thanks, I like them. Besides my DB Overdrive currently out on loan, that is the oldest 29"er in the barn, well besides the wifes New Sheriff that is. It was built in a batch with 7 others in 1997 and converted from 26" in 2000.

The best thing I like about my bikes is that they never get lonely or jealous:biggrin:

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
So how do the wood fenders hold up in the conditions where you need fenders (wet, rain, muck, etc.)? I don't know if I could bring myself to actually get a set of those wet, but I'm a bit anal retentive like that. I'd like to throw a set of fenders on my Fisher Klunker but I'll probably go with some plastic jobbies or maybe a razoo set of those hammered metal ones.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
So how do the wood fenders hold up in the conditions where you need fenders (wet, rain, muck, etc.)? I don't know if I could bring myself to actually get a set of those wet, but I'm a bit anal retentive like that. I'd like to throw a set of fenders on my Fisher Klunker but I'll probably go with some plastic jobbies or maybe a razoo set of those hammered metal ones.
They are very heavily varnished and the wood is protected quite well I believe. I had to add some more to the spots on the front fender that I had to radius with a file to get it to fit properly in the fork crown. Cody lives in Bend, OR and I imagine he is pretty hip on the moisture thing but we'll see.

I saw the metal ones but I don't believe they would have fit over the large tires I am running on there. Clearance is tight as it is and wouldn't work for heavy mud use but they seem fine for what I use it for running around on the well packed gravel trails and the streets. I am going to have to run the plastic models that fit on the seatpost and downtube on my mtn bikes.