Quantcast

Fenders on Marz forks?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I know they sell a intergrated fender.....

I picked up a 05 DJIII and realized I will have to do some bending to the bracket to help it fit in the Zoke fork. I am commuting, in the greater Seattle area, so a fender in fall/winter time is a must.

So, will std lower steerer tube monted fenders work on Marz single crowns with no, little, or a lot of mods? I have two std type fenders aready....didn't feel the urge to buy a new fender.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I know the THE fender fit the old z5 i had on my enduro. I had it hooked up with a starnut in the lower of the steertube. Worked great. Should work on your dj3 in the same way.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Gex said:
I know the THE fender fit the old z5 i had on my enduro. I had it hooked up with a starnut in the lower of the steertube. Worked great. Should work on your dj3 in the same way.
I would be using a Starnut also. But it looks like the arch on the lowers and the bracket will beat each other up if I move the bracket far enough to clear the protruding front of the crown.

I might not be describing it well.....

More tinkering tonight I guess.

Sep 10, 2001
Fenders...

A steertube mount fender won't fit.... And the newer DJ crowns are not even drilled for our fenders... I would get a downtube mounted fender.

As for the Shiver, pretty much any steertube mounted set up should work. I have used a THE on mine in the past with no probs.

Brian

Sep 10, 2001
Well, you could possibly use a steertube fender that only comes off the back... But more likely than not a fender that mounts to the tube and also comes off the front of the fork will hit the brake arch on compression.

Brian

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Brian Peterson said:
Well, you could possibly use a steertube fender that only comes off the back... But more likely than not a fender that mounts to the tube and also comes off the front of the fork will hit the brake arch on compression.

Brian
2 hrs with a bench vise, some scrap aluminum, a drill, a hammer and a big cresent wrench, says one will fit. :) Clearing the arch by being as physically close to the crown as possible. It required an additional vertical and horizontal bend but it fits SNUG. :)

That was the first hurdle.

Next was the harsh reality that none of the misc wedges and star nuts I have collected over the years would fit in the thick base of the stearer tube. :rolleyes: I took a POS plastic wedge that was close and started grinding. Taking away a little bit at a time until it JUST slid in. Now the plastic wedge is a POS to begin with, so now I have a heavily modified (outside diameter smaller, groves deeper, etc.) POS wedge. :D

That was the second hurdle.

Finally the bracket was just a smidge to tall and wouldn't let the bracket sit flush on the base of the steerer tube. That and it is slightly recessed as it is.....soooooo. First I tried a Boxxer bottom out bumper to fill the distance between the base of the steerer tube and the crown, but the wedge is a POS and wouldn't tighten down at all. So I reassembled it without the gap filling piece (soon to be filled by a spacer created from the discard of the stearer tube that I cut to length)

Ahhhh with labor (had my father working with me on the wedge part)and parts the bracket is worth about $250. No wonder the works bikes "cost" so much. :D

Rhino "patting himself on his back" from WA

Sep 10, 2001
Damn... I would have gone this route.....
1 2 liter bottle of coke
a fifth of Captain Morgan's

Drink Captain and Cokes until coke bottle is empty.
Next day after the hang over goes away, use a razor and cut about 1/3 out of the coke bottle lenght wise. Line up on down tube of frame and punch 4 holes into piece of plastic so you can use 2 zip-ties to hold fender in place... Much less work and you get a good night of drinking in to boot....

To those under 21, skip the parts involving the Captain....

Brian

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Brian Peterson said:
That might work... But I don't have any first hand experience with them to know for sure...

Brian
One piece fender over the crown but still uses the standard THE mounting bracket. I have used it on the other M brand forks (minute and slider plus) but not on my 888 or any others with the more fender contuored crowns.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Brian Peterson said:
Damn... I would have gone this route.....
1 2 liter bottle of coke
a fifth of Captain Morgan's

Drink Captain and Cokes until coke bottle is empty.
Next day after the hang over goes away, use a razor and cut about 1/3 out of the coke bottle lenght wise. Line up on down tube of frame and punch 4 holes into piece of plastic so you can use 2 zip-ties to hold fender in place... Much less work and you get a good night of drinking in to boot....

To those under 21, skip the parts involving the Captain....

Brian
Waite why did we need the cola again? Just drink the CM and you won't worry about the rain. :D

I wanted a fork mounted fender to keep me dry while commuting on the road. I had a frame mounted fender befoer and though the are great at keeping stuff out of your face they never really worked for me just riding the road.

Sep 10, 2001
Wait a second.... You went through all this trouble of making a front fender to keep your arse dry? I want to see you riding to work...

Brian

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Brian Peterson said:
Wait a second.... You went through all this trouble of making a front fender to keep your arse dry? I want to see you riding to work...

Brian
Yeah it is a miracle I survive the ordeal. ;)

I get extreme man, extreme