Quantcast

Fess up: Got an old roost guard you used to use as armor?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I need one of these for a project. Doesn't matter what shape it's in, what brand, just as long as the chest and back plates aren't cracked. I'm thinking something that you don't use, don't want, and would serve your garage space better by just not being there. I'll pay shipping. I'm 5'8" so on the shorter side (do these things come in sizes?) would be good.

Lemme know. Thanks!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I don't own any of those horrible little cameras. I actually want to watch this footage later. :D

And I'm not doing a chesty mount. Too 'common' ;)
hahah, the raw footage is alright, but after you compress it at all to put it on Vimeo/Youtube it tends to suck. Backwards facing mount? Been done -

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Just sit down, shut up and wait till you see what I have in mind why don'tcha? :rofl:

And the footage from all those little pov cams sucks because they use CMOS sensors. Has nothing to do with compression.
You haven't disappointed in the past.

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
Why do we have to fess up??? I really enjoy reppin the moto chest for armor... At least more than hot a$$ presssure suits

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Just sit down, shut up and wait till you see what I have in mind why don'tcha? :rofl:

And the footage from all those little pov cams sucks because they use CMOS sensors. Has nothing to do with compression.
haha picky picky! What sort of camera are you actually going to use? Got a Red camera lined up? Or their sensors and shutters not quite up to your spec? :p

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
haha picky picky! What sort of camera are you actually going to use? Got a Red camera lined up? Or their sensors and shutters not quite up to your spec? :p
It's actually going to be four pink cameras (the next generation of Red built to my specs). You've seen 3d footage? This is going to be 5d. You'll need not only a pair of glasses but you're going to have to borrow someone's eyeball as well.

I'm renting the hadron collider to process the raw footage.

You've really never noticed the funny looking rolling shutter jellovision from your gopro? Nothing is as bad as the vholdrs, but I'm just not into what the gopros put out either. It just doesn't mesh too well with footage from my main CCD camera. And I'm not doing 3 minutes or so of just POV clips.

Check this out if you've never noticed what I'm talking about. It kind of drives me crazy watching clips from cheap CMOS cameras. Even sony's $6000 EX1 messed up a lot of dolly shots I've tried to get.

http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why do we have to fess up??? I really enjoy reppin the moto chest for armor... At least more than hot a$$ presssure suits
It always really bugged me that no one made roost guards with ripped abs and pecs graphics. You know those kitchen aprons they make with bikini graphics?

Why no muscle graphics for roost guards? I'd totally rock that shizz.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
It's actually going to be four pink cameras (the next generation of Red built to my specs). You've seen 3d footage? This is going to be 5d. You'll need not only a pair of glasses but you're going to have to borrow someone's eyeball as well.

I'm renting the hadron collider to process the raw footage.

You've really never noticed the funny looking rolling shutter jellovision from your gopro? Nothing is as bad as the vholdrs, but I'm just not into what the gopros put out either. It just doesn't mesh too well with footage from my main CCD camera. And I'm not doing 3 minutes or so of just POV clips.

Check this out if you've never noticed what I'm talking about. It kind of drives me crazy watching clips from cheap CMOS cameras. Even sony's $6000 EX1 messed up a lot of dolly shots I've tried to get.

http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/
Nah, can't say I have - for POV shots from the chest mount (which is all I use it for), most of the terrain is essentially scrolling down the screen anyway, which maybe works alright with the rolling shutter. I just went back and watched a couple of raw clips of faster stuff, but between the shaking of the camera and the terrain flying past, there's too much going on for me to be able to notice any "jellovision" even when I'm specifically looking for it. Not saying it's not there, but it doesn't really jump out at me enough for me to consider it a problem. That said, all I'm doing is making hack home videos, not trying to do it "properly".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Socket: check out 1:54, and 2:26 in this vid

http://www.goprocamera.com/hdheropreview/

The effect is there in other clips but that one is by far the most extreme.
It gets really bad whenever the camera isn't completely fixed down. It's my biggest gripe about these things for mtb footage. A lot of what gets perceived as shake is actually extra movement introduced by the frame warping. At least gopro does the chesty mount since torsos don't shake as much as helmets on bumpy trails.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
In simple terms......a camera mount that's awkward enough I need a solid body mount. I figure two plates on a torso is a good start.
Sounds like the world's most dangerous weiner cam to me...

Of course now that I think about it, I can't really think of a "safe" weiner cam.

Why so picky anyways? Just to look good on your sweet TV at home or are you producing a DVD/Blu-Ray disc?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Socket: check out 1:54, and 2:26 in this vid

http://www.goprocamera.com/hdheropreview/

The effect is there in other clips but that one is by far the most extreme.
It gets really bad whenever the camera isn't completely fixed down. It's my biggest gripe about these things for mtb footage. A lot of what gets perceived as shake is actually extra movement introduced by the frame warping. At least gopro does the chesty mount since torsos don't shake as much as helmets on bumpy trails.

Wow, ok yeah those cases are pretty bad. I can't say I've noticed anything like that in any MTB footage I've seen (including my own) though, maybe because there isn't quite as much constant-frequency vibration on a bike or something. Wonder if it's to do with the vibration frequency matching the frame rate?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wow, ok yeah those cases are pretty bad. I can't say I've noticed anything like that in any MTB footage I've seen (including my own) though, maybe because there isn't quite as much constant-frequency vibration on a bike or something. Wonder if it's to do with the vibration frequency matching the frame rate?
Don't read the next two sentences unless you're willing to be driven crazy by almost everything you see from these cameras, much like Neo choosing the red or blue pill.

Look at the 0:18, and 0:22 second marks in that vid you posted in this thread.
You can see it throughout the clip but those are bad ones I saw just watching the beginning.

You back? Okay. It has nothing to do with the frame rate. On expensive CMOS cameras with multiple framerate options it's still there. It's even there on the RED cameras, but they've figured out a way to run the scan across the chip a little faster than most. I've seen an absolutely comical clip from a RED camera taken from a shaky helicopter. It's just the way the frame is captured (with a scan rather than an instantaneous capture). The chip is scanning in one spot while an object passes and is scanning another area as the object has changed position. So you get this constant skew and recovery that strung together gives that jello effect. And the worse the shake/camera movement, the worse the effect. Not a big deal if the camera is stationary, but the absolute worst way to implement a camera which by nature is always in motion and passing by objects.

Most people don't notice or don't care. But it introduces extra 'movement' to an already shaky system where your eyes are searching for something to lock onto (another rider, handlebars, whatever). It gives me a headache to be honest. I use moving camera shots intermittently with other footage, but I really really try get as smooth a shot as possible so it's easier to look around the scene, focus on a rider or whatever the case may be. So that's why I'm not into these systems. They use CMOS sensors because they're cheap, and supposedly a little better on power consumption, not because they're better for the application of POV cams.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but you asked :D Somebody hooked me up with a roost guard so we can thrunt up this thread right and proper.

Last edited: