Quantcast

fess up - has this happened to you?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not to me and not on a trailgap but 2 years ago we had a big stepdown on the nat race scene and one of the slower guys at quali rode right under my friend when he was doing the jump. He landed with his front wheel on his back. Fortunately nothing happened but it looked scary as fvck.

Will ask him for photos since Im quite sure he has some.

btw. That is some scary ****.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Happened to me at the Sea Otter this year when I got sketchy on the jump section at the top of the course. My buddy was following me and almost landed on me. Goodtimes. Nobody was hurt or even actually crashed.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The jump looks smaller on the photos but you had to go really fast to land it. Front wheel in the other guys fork was gnarly.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I don't even understand how that happened, there wasn't a take-off in that vid!
The rider with the helmet cam is taking the cop-out line around the road gap take off which you can see in the upper right toward the beginning of the clip.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Done it before. I passed someone in a Duel by jumping over them. It was a super long rhythm section and at speed you could turn it into 2 or 3 (can't remember) large triple/quad jumps. I didn't intentionally jump over him though, as we both were on lines that intersected. I just happened to be on the "tall" line.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Looking at how the cop out line goes and the speed you'd need to be at to clear the road gap, I don't think the dude who hit the road gap could have seen the guy in time to abort. Must have been even scarier for him... Going pretty fast on the wooded drop and seeing a rider below you, and it would have already been too late to brake.

Happened to me before except I was the jumper. Just launched it and went as high as possible. Was too late to stop. Turned out alright though! :D

T-MAC

Chimp
May 31, 2011
Start racing motocross. You'll get real comfortable real quick next to people in the air.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Pretty similar to this, where you can do it intentionally... maybe except the a$$ ;)