Quantcast

Festivals...do you?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Contemplating the summer concert scene here in Europe. Dropkicks are still one of my favorite bands...and they are playing mainly festivals over here. I am just not into fests anymore...too spendy, too crowded, too many drunk idiots in one place, bands I dont care for/dont know/dont want to take the time to investigate blahblahblah insert crabby old guy comment here...

Last fest I did was the Blues/Brews thing in Mammoth in 09(?)...even that was lame in such a beautiful place. Used to love the, did the Vans thing a couple times...Rock am Ring, even saw Monsters of Rock way back when. Do enjoy the freak show and people watchign, so that is a good thing.

I understand the reasons for fests, especially over here. Money, scheduling, venue availability & travel issues etc...just hate the fact that schedules seem to go out the window and you just cant show up for the band you want to see.

Who still loves fests? Someone talk me into going to Rothenburg...

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
I try and go to mayhem fest every year . There's at least one or two bands on every year that I want to see. I always find some new metal band that I didn't know about that I start liking . Last year was battlecross probally the only good thing from Michigan .I'm with you Johne about the crowds I hate them as well but it's a metal crowd and everybody seems pretty cool. I went to coachella fest a couple of years ago and that crowd will make you sick . The secret to saving $ at festivals is stay away from the 10$ budweisers and 20$ burritos .

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
$20 burritos...they better roll themselves and give me a little more then heartburn, if you know what I mean!

To top it off, a few years back I was trying to rent an RV to transport my family across country as part of a military cahnge of station move. Could not get an RV because everything on the west coast was taken up by fvuckers going to Burning Man...yee hah! Really, who do you want renting your RV? Dirty slacker hippies or a a nice old punk rock dude and his family? You choose...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I don't like large crowds of drunken idiots either. But a very tiny part of me wants to see the gathering of the juggalos. Potential for outstanding people watching. Fortunately I have enough willpower to suppress that urge.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't like large crowds of drunken idiots either. But a very tiny part of me wants to see the gathering of the juggalos. Potential for outstanding people watching. Fortunately I have enough willpower to suppress that urge.
Ahh dude Hippie Bowling is a riot! Find or borrow a Orange Safety vest. Invariably every venue has a long walkway to the cheap seats. If its on a hill that's even better. Wait until the hippies stop in the middle of the walkway. Put on the safety vest and run full blast into the crowd of stunned hippies yelling get out of my way... knock over 4 hippies at once and get a strike. 4 combined is a spare.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
No matter how many times I see it, I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that that, is an actual thing. :twitch:
Srsly.

Fvck fvestivals. I went to the first few OzzFests. The locations always suck. They sound is crap. The hordes are unwashed. Group-mentality brings out the worst in humans. People either feel so anonymous that they can get away with any behavior, or they feel they are "backed up" by the group and can get away with any behavior.

Remember, communicable diseases are Mother Nature's way of telling us to be selective about who we should hang out with, and reminding us that she can thin the heard pretty easily.