Quantcast

Fettuccini Smoked Salmon with a Red Chile Cream Sauce

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have been waiting for this recipe for years! Finally I got it and thought I'd share with you all. Let me know how it comes out for you.

:drool:

Fettuccini Smoked Salmon with a Red Chile Cream Sauce
Chef Timzo-Los Lunas, NM | 28 Feb

One filet of smoked salmon (MUST BE SMOKED)
½ a white onion diced
One teaspoon of red chile powder (Chimayo is best, if you can get it)
¼ cup of good cognac (not Wal-Mart brand)
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
1 clove of garlic
1 box of fettuccini noodles

Add oil or butter to hot pan sauté onions and crushed garlic a bit don’t burn them!!

Next add cut up smoked salmon, then add red chile then add cognac...
**CAUTION HIGHLY FLAMMABLE**

Stir around a bit. Turn heat down next add heavy whipping cream. Boil fettuccini noodles al-dente style (fancy Italian word for not too hard, not too soft, but "to the tooth")

Let sauce thicken, drain noodles and add to sauce. Serve.

Chef Timzo would toast some French bread and have it on the side. He also suggests a nice Chardonnay or a Pinot Grigio as your wine selection.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds pretty good but I am not a big fan of smoked salmon in things that are cooked further. I would rather have some tasty salmon app and then...Carbonara!!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I assume [which makes and 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'] that for smoked salmon you're referring to the chunk version made popular on the west coast, as opposed to 'lox' which is similar to the Nova Scotia smoked salmon.

I've tried virtually the same dish several times with Pacific style salmon, and once or twice with leftover cooked filets.

In my variation, i use ground chipotle peppers with a mix of cumin and paprika as my 'chile powder'. Oh, and I add a couple finely chopped or minced cloves of garlic with the onion.

Solid recipe.

You should take some pics!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Nobody said:
I assume [which makes and 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'] that for smoked salmon you're referring to the chunk version made popular on the west coast, as opposed to 'lox' which is similar to the Nova Scotia smoked salmon.

I've tried virtually the same dish several times with Pacific style salmon, and once or twice with leftover cooked filets.

In my variation, i use ground chipotle peppers with a mix of cumin and paprika as my 'chile powder'. Oh, and I add a couple finely chopped or minced cloves of garlic with the onion.

Solid recipe.

You should take some pics!

It was not the lox type.. I cut the filet's chunky...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
N8 said:
It was not the lox type.. I cut the filet's chunky...

Ahhhhhh, now I understand better - to me, the only smoked salmon is the soft lox type. :love: Makes more sense if you're talking about the other style, thanks for clearing that up Nobody.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
You, of all people, should understand that the only smoked anything I usually want near my pasta is bacon. You know, from one of these: :oink:

:)
Well, I'd agree with you there. I just found it odd that you weren't aware of non-lox type smoked salmon.

Although I'm pretty sure you were foolin'............

Edit: the restaurant we hit this past weekend had an appetizer that was simply called "Fresh bacon" :drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
Well, I'd agree with you there. I just found it odd that you weren't aware of non-lox type smoked salmon.

Although I'm pretty sure you were foolin'............

Edit: the restaurant we hit this past weekend had an appetizer that was simply called "Fresh bacon" :drool:
Well, I've had the stuff but am not really a fan - for me the real allure of smoked (or cured, gravlax-style) salmon is the texture, so that other stuff doesn't really do it for me.

"Fresh bacon"? Um, if it's not cured shouldn't it be called pork belly?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
Well, I've had the stuff but am not really a fan - for me the real allure of smoked (or cured, gravlax-style) salmon is the texture, so that other stuff doesn't really do it for me.

"Fresh bacon"? Um, if it's not cured shouldn't it be called pork belly?
It is :D

http://www.riojadenver.com/dinner.html

Most people would freak if you put "pork belly" on the menu, though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
It is :D

http://www.riojadenver.com/dinner.html

Most people would freak if you put "pork belly" on the menu, though.

Damn, that menu has some really tasty sounding food - my kind of place right there!!

"Fresh bacon" is a strange way to describe it but I understand why. I had a scary thought of bacon sashimi. Regardless, I hope whatever bacon they serve is "fresh."

Pork belly is starting to show up on menus around here more and more, usually braised or confit style then seared.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
Damn, that menu has some really tasty sounding food - my kind of place right there!!

"Fresh bacon" is a strange way to describe it but I understand why. I had a scary thought of bacon sashimi. Regardless, I hope whatever bacon they serve is "fresh."

Pork belly is starting to show up on menus around here more and more, usually braised or confit style then seared.
It was tasty. :thumb: The duck confit I had was the only thing that was a bit of a bummer.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody said:
I'm not sold on duck confit, in general.

I like my duck hot.

as rude as that sounds...

I like the texture and flavor...and I usually eat it hot/warm. An easy meal I really like is to take a couple confit legs/thighs, wipe off the excess fat, sear the skin side for a few minutes until brown and crispy, then warm through in the oven and serve over frisee or other greens with a tangy vinagrette, maybe a few roasted parsnip chunks or other roots. I also like the meat tossed with pasta and something like wilted chard or other bitter greens. Or...well you get the idea...:)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
OGRipper said:
I like the texture and flavor...and I usually eat it hot/warm. An easy meal I really like is to take a couple confit legs/thighs, wipe off the excess fat, sear the skin side for a few minutes until brown and crispy, then warm through in the oven and serve over frisee or other greens with a tangy vinagrette, maybe a few roasted parsnip chunks or other roots. I also like the meat tossed with pasta and something like wilted chard or other bitter greens. Or...well you get the idea...:)
Okay, the concept makes sense but the confit part is confusing.

confit is a preserved cooked duck (or other food) that is stored as a, um, loaf or such thing in the fridge.

did you mean a couple slices of confit, particularly of the dark end, etc?

Reference:

"The French word confit means “preserved,” and the process was devised as a means of preserving a variety of meats and poultry — most traditionally goose, duck, or pork. It involves fully curing the meat in salt, then poaching it slowly in fat, and storing it covered with the fat until you are ready to eat it or cook with it. The technique evolved over thousands of years in cultures around the world, but, clearly, it is a dying art.

Curing the meat in salt makes the water in it unavailable to microorganisms, which renders them incapable of causing spoilage. Covering the meat with at least an inch of fat after it has been cooked keeps air from reaching it, further retarding the tendency to spoil. If the meat has been properly cured, a confit will keep in a cool, dark place (a cellar or refrigerator) for six months. You can also renew a confit after the first six months by recooking it, in which case, it will last for another four to six months. (For best, flavor, however, the confit should be consumed within three to five months of the initial cooking).

Most of the 47 people in the world who actually still make confits omit the salt-curing step, however, greatly diminishing its shelf-life. If you go this route, you can store a confit in the refrigerator for as long as a month."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody said:
Okay, the concept makes sense but the confit part is confusing.

confit is a preserved cooked duck (or other food) that is stored as a, um, loaf or such thing in the fridge.

did you mean a couple slices of confit, particularly of the dark end, etc?
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by the "loaf" part, the confit meat I've seen is either stored in duck or goose fat, or vacuum packed. Sometimes the meat is removed from the bones, sometimes not. I usually buy pre-made, vacuum packed whole duck legs (with thigh) on the bone. I make braised duck legs now and then that are very tender but they don't have the same cured/earthy flavor.

Also, it doesn't necessarily need to be in the fridge, although that is where most people store it. The technique comes from a time before refrigeration and is a way to preserve cooked meat.

Here is one person's take on how to make it: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=58097

PS, I am just a hack home cook and will defer to a pro, but I think what I'm saying is correct...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
OGRipper said:
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by the "loaf" part, the confit meat I've seen is either stored in duck or goose fat, or vacuum packed. Sometimes the meat is removed from the bones, sometimes not. I usually buy pre-made, vacuum packed whole duck legs (with thigh) on the bone. I make braised duck legs now and then that are very tender but they don't have the same cured/earthy flavor.

Also, it doesn't necessarily need to be in the fridge, although that is where most people store it. The technique comes from a time before refrigeration and is a way to preserve cooked meat.

Here is one person's take on how to make it: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=58097

PS, I am just a hack home cook and will defer to a pro, but I think what I'm saying is correct...
I wasn't wholly disagreeing with anyone. the 'loaf' crap comes from a few encounters with people making their own in Pate tins... assuming you've ever seen one of those. They look like tiny bread baking tins.

anyway, mostly irellevant, as the point, as you so rightly pointed out, was to preserve the meat in those days before refridgeration. [please scan upwards and see my earlier post about "Reference"]

The thing is, in my mind, Confit is something that has been 'processed' to preserve it, but getting parts [leg, thigh] from the meatshoppe and doing your own thing is a world of difference - and a far more admirable one, so Kudos to you!

My last encounter in a 4-star restaurant who should have known better was a cold 'pressed duck' confit that was heavy, salty and boring.

I cried a river, lemme tell ya.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody said:
I wasn't wholly disagreeing with anyone. the 'loaf' crap comes from a few encounters with people making their own in Pate tins... assuming you've ever seen one of those. They look like tiny bread baking tins.

anyway, mostly irellevant, as the point, as you so rightly pointed out, was to preserve the meat in those days before refridgeration. [please scan upwards and see my earlier post about "Reference"]

The thing is, in my mind, Confit is something that has been 'processed' to preserve it, but getting parts [leg, thigh] from the meatshoppe and doing your own thing is a world of difference - and a far more admirable one, so Kudos to you!

My last encounter in a 4-star restaurant who should have known better was a cold 'pressed duck' confit that was heavy, salty and boring.

I cried a river, lemme tell ya.
Ha ha, thanks for the kudos but I don't usually make it myself! I dont get it very often but when I do I buy the same, fairly local product and the quality is consistently pretty dang good to me.

And yeah I completely agree that buying pre-made confit is less than ideal...but it is really convenient for home cooking for two during a busy week. I find that I can either use a few shortcuts or end up eating more poorly (ordering in, etc.).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
timely recipe from today's Boston Globe:

Cookbook author Paula Wolfert recommends letting the confit age at least a week or two.

6 duck legs (Moulard, Muscovy, or Pekin), rinsed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped shallots
1 teaspoon chopped garlic plus 1 whole head of garlic, halved crosswise
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons black peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
6 cups (approximately) rendered duck or goose fat (more if you're using Muscovy duck)
2 whole cloves
Salt (for sprinkling)

1. In a large bowl, toss the duck legs with the salt, shallots, chopped garlic, parsley, peppercorns, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours.

2. Rinse the legs thoroughly; pat dry.

3. In a large Dutch oven, melt the rendered duck fat over low heat. Stick a clove into each half-head of garlic and add to the melted fat. With tongs, add the duck legs, which should be almost entirely covered by the fat. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 1 hour or until the fat reaches 190 degrees (use a candy thermometer). Add additional fat, if necessary, to cover the duck. Continue cooking until the fat reaches 192 to 210 degrees, but no higher. Adjust the heat level so the fat doesn't get hotter and continue cooking for 1 hour more (2 hours more for Muscovy) or until a skewer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh comes out easily and the skin pulls away from the bone. Remove from the heat and let the duck cool in the fat for 1 hour.

4. Meanwhile, set out three 1-quart earthenware or glass crocks or jars. Rinse them with boiling water and dry the insides. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt in the bottom of each container. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the duck legs to the containers. Heat the cooking fat over medium heat until a few bubbles rise to the surface. Skim the foam. Let the fat bubble slowly for about 5 minutes or until the surface is clear. Do not let it smoke or burn.

5. Set a fine-mesh strainer over one of the crocks or jars. Carefully ladle hot fat through the strainer onto the legs, adding enough to cover them. Leave 1 inch of space at the top of the rim. Don't use the cloudy fat or meat juices at the bottom of the fat. Rap the containers gently to tamp out air pockets. Leave to cool, uncovered. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until the fat congeals. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 week and up to six months.

6. To serve: Warm the crocks in a pan of warm water to soften the fat (this will take about 2 to 4 hours). Remove the legs you need. For safety, all confit should be heated through before serving.

7. Steam the legs over boiling water, heat them in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until hot, or crisp the skin by broiling them skin side up for 6 to 8 minutes or baking them skin side up in a 425 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp.

Adapted from ''The Cooking of Southwest France"

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Makin' this for Christmas dinner, but using red chile fettuccini noodles... should go great with the Season

:drool:

Last edited: