Quantcast

few SantaCruz newbie questions..

amdmaxx

Chimp
May 1, 2003
My dad got me SantaCruz SuperLight....

My questions:
I seen some SantaCruzes with a bar parallel to the ground when gets to saddle part, some are inclined all the way through the frame. I thought it was a model year change, but it is not. On santacruz web site they ALL look like that bar is parallel to the ground by the saddle area, and the picture of Blur I saw here somewhere (the one with fox float 100) is not the same. Is it male/female versions? The fram is smaller sized one, built for my dad's 5-5 frame.
Also, my bike came with 2001 Rock Shox Judy Sl fox - and I hate it, this is my first bike with air/oil (i dont even know what I have) fork and it is extremely wobbly (I am 5-7, 150) and i cant even ride this bike without hands for long, it veered off easily, while I can easily control my other bikes without use of hands.. I tried to see if I can adjust it myself, no luck..
My last question: Since I hate my fork (is it because it needs rebuilding/adjusting for my weight?) I wanna get fox Float 100 RLC. Would that be a good choice for me? How about 80 mm one?
I plan to ride XC most of the time (mostly parks & asphalt) and once in a blue moon take it to the mountains (Poconos, etc..)..

Help appreciated..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In 2002 all Superlights got the bent top tube. Before that it depended on the size.

As far as you stability problem goes it could just be the geometry. Your bike has a 71 degree head angle which some consider steep, this will give it sharp fast handling. Fast sharp handling can make things difficult for some people. If you have a medium or smaller frame the wheel base is less than 42" which will lead to even quicker handling. If you want to slow down the handling a 100mm fork will do the job. It will slacken your head angle by a degree or so and increase your wheelbase by a .5" or so. The only drawbacks would be that the front wheel may want to flop back and forth on slow bumps. A cheaper solution would be to try a wider set of handlebars, this will give you more leverage and control.

zibbler

Monkey
Santa Cruz Superlight is a great bike. You can't compare it to a Blur though. They are 2 completely different bikes. All Superlights have the top tube that is parallel by the saddle, then slopes up. That's the way they're designed.

If you're planning on riding only light xc, then an 80mm - 100mm fork will be fine. I don't know what kind of money you have to spend on a fork, but you can't go wrong with a Fox fork.

Hope this helps

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Since you refrenced the Poconos, I'm assuming your in the US. You should pay better attention in English class. You post is somewhat difficult to translate.

There is a model year/size thing going on with the top tube on the Superlight. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I had an '02 Superlight that had a front triangle like an '01, but had the updated '02 swingarm. Reason.....Santa Cruz does running production changes. Stating the size of your frame would help for the Santa Cruz experts on this board.

I think you should put a Super T on your Superlight, then it will be twice as Super. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the Fox forks are top notch, you will not regret replacing a Rock Shox with a Fox.

If you have any other questions beyond that, I missed them.

amdmaxx

Chimp
May 1, 2003
My SuperLight's top tube is NOT parallel to the ground by the saddle area, and it is a smaller size frame.. Was measured for my 5-5 dad's frame..
I will post a pic tonite when I get home.. I am willing to shell out for that Fox Float 100 RLC fork (dad has credit with bike shop)..
Street price around $500? Also, the lock for it, is it on the handlebars?

amdmaxx

Chimp
May 1, 2003
I am in NJ and who makes Super T?
frame is small, bike was sold/fitted for 5-5 person..

Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Since you refrenced the Poconos, I'm assuming your in the US. You should pay better attention in English class. You post is somewhat difficult to translate.

There is a model year/size thing going on with the top tube on the Superlight. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I had an '02 Superlight that had a front triangle like an '01, but had the updated '02 swingarm. Reason.....Santa Cruz does running production changes. Stating the size of your frame would help for the Santa Cruz experts on this board.

I think you should put a Super T on your Superlight, then it will be twice as Super. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the Fox forks are top notch, you will not regret replacing a Rock Shox with a Fox.

If you have any other questions beyond that, I missed them.

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
I hope this goes though, made for females, but shorter men have been using it, really the only difference other than the stand over is maybe the top tube is a bit smaller. I wouldnt have any problem riding it if I were you.

amdmaxx

Chimp
May 1, 2003
cool thanks, mine is straight down..
So, is it worth for me for upgrade my 2001 Rock SHox JUdy SL for Fox Float 100 RLC?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
its a medium Superlight. I'm 5'5" and ride a small Superlight. The current models all have bent top tubes irespective of size. According to the SC web site I'm either a small or medium sized bike. At your height a small will not fit very well but a medium would probably be right on the money.

The fact that you can't ride no hands probably has nothing to do with the fork or frame geometry perse, but something is off. If the bike pulls to one side only when riding no hands on perfectly flat roads, it could be something is bent or the wheel is off centered. A steep head angle has no affect on the ability of a bike to be ridden no hands. If the headset is pooched and brinelled the steering will feel funny and the bike will wobble when ridden no hands and might do that when the bars are turned slightly in a turn as well. That said, in comparison to what you can get today in forks, the Judy is a pos.

amdmaxx

Chimp
May 1, 2003
thanks, ye, I def. not crazy about Judy on that nice bike..
I will post pic today, may u guys can give me exact size..