Quantcast

FIFA World Cup Starts June 9th (football, soccer)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm actually looking forward to catching some of these games on TV -there will be a few of them on ESPN or something right?

Anyone know who the big favorite to win is? Probably Brazil or something right?

Sucks that Ireland didn't qualify for the tournament - they usually do don't they?

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
MMcG said:
I'm actually looking forward to catching some of these games on TV -there will be a few of them on ESPN or something right?

Anyone know who the big favorite to win is? Probably Brazil or something right?

Sucks that Ireland didn't qualify for the tournament - they usually do don't they?
First time I'll be able to pay attention to it since '94, but I haven't been following the qualis. There are going to be games on the abc/espn/espn2 and espn8-the ocho! I don't know who the favorites are or which country is hot right now. I just want to go into it and watch some good matches w/o knowing all the drama.

Footnote: Soccer used to be my deal. Then colleges and scouts and odp and all that put a sour taste in my mouth and I walked away. This will be the first time I'll be able to enjoy it (no tv in '02) since I last played uber-competitvely in '98. Kind of like the fast Jr.X with moderate sponsorships who gets completly burned out. Now the internet knows a little about me.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm excited and can't wait. I to got burnt out on soccer in high school and walked away. USA has a strong team but i don't think they will go far unless they pull off some huge upsets and someone else takes out brazil. Henry is my fav so France is my guilty pleasure.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i hope england & italy exit in the first round as well.

let's hear it for the underdogs

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The Aussies are in it for the first time since 1974. We're in the same group as Japan so it's either gonna be great to be an Aussie here if they win or if they lose, awful. The Socceroos also get to play Brazil. Cool.
The winners- who knows. The Poms will look a million dollars in the early rounds before being beaten in a heartbraking penalty shoot-out. The Bosch on their home turf will be no pushovers. The Argies will have a strong team as usual. My yen is on Brazil, any team with Ronaldhino in it is gonna be close to unbeatable.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I like Brazil and Italy.

Great looking women inhabit those countries.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love soccer but not enough to pay for digital cable. That's why I'm glad ESPN is showing games. A lot of guys I work with have the digital cable with the soccer channel and it pisses me off.

I played both indoor and outdoor, but haven't played in a few years. If the guys at work would get off the couch, we damn near have a team!

I would love to see Argentina put it together. I love watching Brazil because they play purty.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ooo I hope argentina choke's big time... few soccer countries I dislike more than argentina.. right up there w/ italy & the UK.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Soccer has become so huge in the past years!!! Its a great game to watch and I am excited to catch some of the games... I am already planning a few parties to watch the games

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Is anyone actually carrying the games live in the US? What system is playing it?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
got the HD covered, but can't bring myself to buying cable tv... not even for the world cup. my team's not in it, so I think I'm going to pass...