Quantcast

File Associations

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Grr.
I know how to associate basic actions in my computer>folder options
(example, have jpgs open photoshop or Windows viewer) but what about associating an action?

I like to use (don't hit me) the default Windos viewer for quick looks, and the MS Picture editor for resizing on the fly but somehow my association got changed from MS Picture Manager for editing to Paint of all things! So I can view them the way I want for quick viewing, but the editing option has changed.

I do have photoshop for real photo work. I just need this to work for on the fly.

thanks.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Grr.
I know how to associate basic actions in my computer>folder options
(example, have jpgs open photoshop or Windows viewer) but what about associating an action?

I like to use (don't hit me) the default Windos viewer for quick looks, and the MS Picture editor for resizing on the fly but somehow my association got changed from MS Picture Manager for editing to Paint of all things! So I can view them the way I want for quick viewing, but the editing option has changed.

I do have photoshop for real photo work. I just need this to work for on the fly.

thanks.
Right click on said file > Open With... > Choose Application > highlight the viewer you want in the list > check the little box that says, "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" > hit "Apply"

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
that sounded good, choosing a different editor doesn't seem possible? The "edit" button takes me straight to Paint, who are they kidding now?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
just to refresh, I can OPEN the file with what I want, (windows pic viewer) but to go on to EDIT it from there has been changed.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Open a folder and got to Tools > Folder Otions > File Types > Scroll to the file type (let's say a JPG file) > Click the "Restore" button, which will then turn back into the "Advanced" button when the defaults are restored to that file type.

Then go back to the same type of file and right click > Open With... > re-select your preffered program if different then the default.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
There's a trick to change the Send To menu to include whatever targets you might like, but I don't remember it...
Create a shortcut for the program in question and add it to the C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\SendTo\ folder. When you right click on a file in Explorer, you can choose Send To, then the program you want to open it with.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks like this is closed but if you are looking for quick looks/viewing, I'd recommend Irfanview - its freeware and works great. Only negative is with newer installers you have to uncheck a toolbar it wants to install (google or yahoo, I forget).

Last edited: