Quantcast

Filing a dispute with Paypal/Fleabay

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I bought a fuel pump for my Porsche 8 days ago, Sunday the 6th. Dude's ad says he ships Priority mail the day after or of he gets payment. Anyway, after the part didn't show up by this last Saturday, I shot him an email asking if he'd shipped it and if it had tracking. He told me he shipped it out the Monday after I bought it, and if it didn't show this Monday to email him again. It didn't, so I emailed, but haven't received a response yet.

Anyway...I've never actually had to deal with not receiving an item before. Should I file a Paypal dispute right away? I ask, as I've had one filed on me once before as a seller (dude damaged the item after receiving it and tried to blame me), and I know it freezes the funds in the account until a resolution is reached. I like to give people the benefit of a doubt, but if things don't end so well, I know if there's no money in his account by the time I file a dispute I'm SOL. I don't want to piss him off, but by the same token don't want to be out $120...

Thoughts? Why the fvck do people still send high dollar items USPS with no tracking or delivery confirmation? UPS/Fedex ftmfw...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You bought it 8 days ago, two of those days being a weekend, and are currently worried that you don't have the item in your hands?

I'd be furious if someone filed a dispute after one email asking where it is and only 6 work days.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You bought it 8 days ago, two of those days being a weekend, and are currently worried that you don't have the item in your hands?

I'd be furious if someone filed a dispute after one email asking where it is and only 6 work days.
Priority Mail takes 3 days c to c (and delivers on Saturday)...Something is amiss.

Just trying to cover my ass.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
6 days doesn't sound like much time, but I've rarely experienced much of a delay with USPS as opposed to FedEx or UPS.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
USPS Priority does offer tracking but it's usually not updated frequently or at all. Their 2-3 day thing is just a rough estimate, it is not guaranteed.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
6 days doesn't sound like much time, but I've rarely experienced much of a delay with USPS as opposed to FedEx or UPS.
I've bought lots of crap on eBay (200+) and never had an issue with shipping taking excessively long after an item was supposedly sent out. Given the clusterfvck the USPS is, it wouldn't shock me if it disappeared into the giant bin of misplaced parcels (I'm aware of their worthless tracking, but at least it's something)...And I don't see why an eBay member with 900+ feedback would scam me on a $100 fuel pump.

Another problem: I don't trust many people...

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I've bought lots of crap on eBay (200+) and never had an issue with shipping taking excessively long after an item was supposedly sent out.

Another problem: I don't trust many people...
The only time I've had issues with shipping was for things I've sent myself, as ****ty as that is. I've ordered plenty of stuff without delay also. I'd give it until the end of the week at least. Paypal is going to have a record of the transaction for a while, so I wouldn't worry too much.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Priority Mail takes 3 days c to c (and delivers on Saturday)...Something is amiss.
Priority mail takes 3-5 days to deliver, and it depends very much on what else is being delivered at that time and the specific locations it is going to/from. For instance, here in NC we seem to be in a little bit of a black hole for mail - all mail takes the maximum amount of time allowed to get to NH, whereas something can get to California in 3 days. Probably because they take it by truck up to NH, and they fly it out to CA. Just depends on what the infrastructure is between your hub and their hub.

Plus, just because the guy has good intentions to get a package out the next day doesn't mean it always happens. Take a deep breath and wait a reasonable amount of time, then worry about filing complaints.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Per ebay rules, the seller has 30 days to get you the item. Paypal won't even start to care for at least 2 weeks.

Wait at least 2 weeks before getting your panties in a bunch. If you needed it now, you should have bought local.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeh, inexpensive Porsche fuel pumps just litter the streets 'round these parts ;)
Inexpensive nothing is better than retail something? If you don't have it, how much would you have saved buy NOT buying it at NAPA?

If you want it for cheap, then you run the risk of either having to wait, or getting stiffed. Walking into NAPA might cost more money, but I bet you would walk out with the part rather than what you have (or don't have in this case).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Inexpensive nothing is better than retail something? If you don't have it, how much would you have saved buy NOT buying it at NAPA?

If you want it for cheap, then you run the risk of either having to wait, or getting stiffed. Walking into NAPA might cost more money, but I bet you would walk out with the part rather than what you have (or don't have in this case).
With tax you're pushing $300 for the right pump. Pelican has them for $275...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Nevermind...it just arrived. Via UPS. He shipped it out late, and not priority mail...I wish people would be more descriptive/communicative sometimes in their ads.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I fear eBay may not be your natural environment.

Glad to see you got it tho. What Porsche do you have?
This one...

Before SS gets under my skin with his comments, it's an S so it has all real Porsche stuff under the skin...essentially a narrow-body 944. Too bad I'm selling it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
This one...

Before SS gets under my skin with his comments, it's an S so it has all real Porsche stuff under the skin...essentially a narrow-body 944. Too bad I'm selling it.
Well to get your facts straight, the 924 came out BEFORE the 944. So actually the 944 is a flared out version of the "Chick Edition" 924. That making the 944 the "Ultra Chick Edition".

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pray sir, tell more.
Cutting loose the red whore at a profit, and picking up something like an SV650...

Well to get your facts straight, the 924 came out BEFORE the 944. So actually the 944 is a flared out version of the "Chick Edition" 924. That making the 944 the "Ultra Chick Edition".
Correct, but not.

By 1987, 924 sales had lost so much to the 944 (Introduced in 1983) that Porsche started selling the 924 exclusively in a new "S" trim. It retained the old 944/924 interior (instead of the updated smoothed dash and cluster the 944 and 951 now had), and the 924 body (aside from a spoiler on the rear hatch and ****ty black trim all the way around), but under the skin was now essentially a base-model 944, taking wheels, brakes, suspension, engine, trans, and drivetrain from that car.

I almost embarked on a project to swap a VR6 Turbo engine into it running on Megasquirt, but decided I really didn't want that kind of headache to build a more reliable/powerful car when I seriously lack garage space. The stock 2.5L Porsche 4 banger is a piece of ****.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Nevermind...it just arrived. Via UPS. He shipped it out late, and not priority mail...I wish people would be more descriptive/communicative sometimes in their ads.
Again - this is your failure to communicate. If you needed to know, you needed to aske. The seller has no idea what your questions are if you don't ask and the time to ask is before you bid!!!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'll sell you mine. 1200 miles, pampered.
1200 miles? Wow, I have managed to do that in 6 weeks on my bike! And I don't feel like I ride it nearly enough as it is.

<edit> Mine is far from pampered. Not beat down, but "ridden".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
1200 miles? Wow, I have managed to do that in 6 weeks on my bike! And I don't feel like I ride it nearly enough as it is.

<edit> Mine is far from pampered. Not beat down, but "ridden".
I just used it to commute to work. It is a short drive 10 miles per day.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just used it to commute to work. It is a short drive 10 miles per day.
I was going to ride mine to work today, but it was 24 degrees. It's supposed to be 35 tomorrow, so I'm riding.

Since I am only about 15 minutes away from the coastal range, there are a lot of really fun twisties. I can go for a 2 hour "quick ride" that feels like a full days workout.

The SV is such a fun bike, it would be a blast on the roads I hit too.