Quantcast

Filing/cutting carbon fibre?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I need to move my outer MRP plate to a position where unfortunately the crank arm is in the way. To get aroung this I need to cut/file about 1cm x 4cm of the CF away.

Basically I need to cut this sort of shape out of it: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/3334.jpg

I'm sure I've read in the past that carbon fibre is nasty ****, carcinogenic and stuff?

Ignoring that for the time being :-)imstupid:) how easy is it to cut/file, can I just treat it as if it were metal, or do I need to be careful not to end up cracking it etc?

Any tips/advice welcomed!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
A bit of googling suggests that I really don't want to inhale any of the dust. I don't have a mask of any sort, so I'm thinking wear my DH goggles for my eyes, have a piece of fabric over my nose/mouth, and leave the hoover running with the nozzle right next to what I'm cutting?

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Jus hold ure breath..

Nah ull be fine, only bad if u breathe in the dust, use a fine toothed hack saw blade, and put some maskin tape over it to stop it splitting.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I believe though the dust is INCREDIBLY fine and gets everywhere? Can't get a hacksaw in where I need to be conveniently so will be Dremeling.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
You will breathe in a whole lot worse the that in most old buildings, anyways what you want to live forever?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Go get one of those foam masks from homebase Seb. They're like, 2 pounds or something. And you can always remove a hacksaw blade at one end, thread it through the bashguard, then reattach, so that you can get where you need to with a hacksaw. Damnit man! Think outside the box! :P

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
And you can always remove a hacksaw blade at one end, thread it through the bashguard, then reattach, so that you can get where you need to with a hacksaw
Yeah I know that, hence why I said "can't get it there CONVENIENTLY". I'm far too lazy for that. Plus I'd need to buy a much finer blade than I have.

Go get one of those foam masks from homebase Seb. They're like, 2 pounds or something.
Too lazy for that too it seems, 5 minutes later, hoover in left hand, dremel in right, bashguard clamped in bike stand and the job's done ;D

(And yeah, I'm sure the dust went in one end of the hoover and out the other! It's CRAZY fine, looks like smoke)

Now, onto the next problem, can't find any chainring spacers, and none of the shops around here have any, gah!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the vaccuum is a very good idea, a couple layers of fine cloth would work fine over your mouth for the the amount of dust you will make. also carbon dust is itchy, not as bad as fiberglass dust. use clothes you don't like and wash them seperately a couple times, if you get dust on them. wearing white will show you how much didn't go into the vaccuum. latex or similar gloves would be nice too.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Its not really that big of deal. It's just carbon and epoxy. You do a lot worse going in old buildings like someone said, or riding in a dusty area.