Quantcast

Film/digital SLR question

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I was wondering about the focusing thing. Film cameras are usually manual focus and digital are auto focus. Her lenses are "old", so they are manual focus. She knows that she will have to buy a body that will accept her lenses, or have to buy new lenses.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Film cameras aren't "usually" manual focus... most of the cameras built in the last 15 years have had auto focus :p

If you check out www.dpreview.com and look at the reviews or spec sheets of the digital bodies, there is usually a full list of what lens types are compatible and what will work on them. For instance, the semi-pro and pro cameras will usually meter with any lens, but the cheaper cameras won't meter without a lens with a CPU chip.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
She has an older, like 15 or so years old, that is full manual, no auto anything. I forget the make, but Cannon lenses won't fit. She thinks that a Nikon body will work with her lenses.

I'm asking the questions because she hasn't decided on a Monkey handle yet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dpreview sez:

Pentax K10D Review said:
Lens mount:
Pentax KAF2 bayonet mount
Pentax KAF2, KAF or KA mount lenses
It says it also supports lenses with an aperture ring... so just make sure your lens is KAF2, KAF or KA mount, it should say right on the lens.