Quantcast

Film...do you still shoot it?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Just picked up a Nikon F100 for $100 with 17 rolls of slide and negative film. Basically, $100 worth of film with a free camera tossed in.

I still shoot film from time to time. Anyone else?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, I have an old Nikon FE with a beautiful 50mm f1.2 lens. I have a bag of film which all expired back in the 80s and still produce amazing photos. I'm trying to choose carefully what I snap at...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Not really. I've had a roll of Ilford HP5 in my OM-2 for about three years. I should probably finish it off and get it developed along with the roll in my freezer. I liked shooting BW, but I don't have a lab to work in, so it gets expensive having it developed elsewhere and control over development is limited.

scott

Chimp
Apr 18, 2007
Radford, VA
I haven't shot film very much at all since college. I think I enjoyed working in the darkroom more than I did actually shooting the photos and now that I don't have access to a darkroom, I find myself reaching for the digital more often.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have an old school AE1, love to shoot B&W. Problem is who develops anymore? I have no darkroom facilities to use anymore...who do you guys use?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have an old school AE1, love to shoot B&W. Problem is who develops anymore? I have no darkroom facilities to use anymore...who do you guys use?
My laundry room.

Just bought a simple film changing bag, a tank and some chemicals. It's easy. Everything fits on a shelf above the washer.

I did munch the first couple rolls pretty bad though. The third one turned out a little better. (36 exposure rolls are a bitch to reel up)

I scan the negs into my Epson 1660 scanner I picked up at Goodwill for $3

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh and the F100.... holy hell. What a camera. I love it more and more.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My laundry room.

Just bought a simple film changing bag, a tank and some chemicals. It's easy. Everything fits on a shelf above the washer.

I did munch the first couple rolls pretty bad though. The third one turned out a little better. (36 exposure rolls are a bitch to reel up)

I scan the negs into my Epson 1660 scanner I picked up at Goodwill for $3
How much did the development stuff run you?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How much did the development stuff run you?
In total, from the local shop about $80. That's for the tank, thermometer, jugs, beaker, enough initial chemicals to process dozens of rolls, etc, and then it's just buying more ready-for-use developer once this gallon runs out. (all the rest of the chemicals are concentrated to make gallons and gallons of working solution)