Quantcast

FINALLY DONE! - 2008 Tomac Primer 220

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
It has been a long time in the making but I finally got to pedal the bike around for the first time last night!

I cannot thank Joel at Tomac Mountain Bikes enough for getting me hooked up with everything. Tomac has been an amazing sponsor for me this year so far. Also a huge thanks to Phil with RideSFO.

I would also like to take a moment to thank all of the Monkeys on here that helped make this bike come alive! Todd (GiantRider), Mike (Prettym1k3), and everyone else.

:cheers:

Now for the details:

Frame: 2008 Tomac Primer 220 (large)
Rear Shock: 2008 Fox DHX 5.0
Wheel set: Azonic Outlaws 12x150 with Kenda Tomac Nevegal Blue-Groove + Ghetto Tubeless
Fork: 2008 Fox 40-RC2
Headset: Cane Creek 1.5 reducer
Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Howitzer Team
Bash guard / Guide: e.13 LG1
Chain: SRAM Hallow pin
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow
Shifter: Shimano LX
Stem: Race Face Evolve 30mm
Bars: Truvativ Hussefelt 31.8 Riser Bar
Seatpost: Thompson Elite
Seat: RideSFO/SDG Ti-Fly
Brakes: Shimano Saint
Weight: 44 lbs

Before you guys start complaining about the weight of the bike, I intentionally built this bike as burly. I didn't go out of my way to buy ultra light parts or anything because I and 6'1 and weigh over 200lbs. I am a big guy and bike weight really doesn't matter to me. This is my DH bike, not my XC/AM/Light DH bike.

PICTURES! What do you guys think?

Yeah thats how much I actually paid for that crankset brand new. Thank you Santa Cruz sale...

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks everyone.

Just finished the first ride on the bike... I'm impressed.

I do however need to break in a few parts still. Besides that, the bike performed incredibly well. I cannot wait to get some more time on it...

At the trailhead of its maiden voyage:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I gotta say that I felt the suspension of a guy's Primer at a race last weekend, and I'm not sure if it was because he was running a Vivid 5.1 on the back which was dialed in but... the rear end felt VERY smooth - just a parking lot test mind you, but it didn't feel like a single pivot, that's for sure.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I gotta say that I felt the suspension of a guy's Primer at a race last weekend, and I'm not sure if it was because he was running a Vivid 5.1 on the back which was dialed in but... the rear end felt VERY smooth - just a parking lot test mind you, but it didn't feel like a single pivot, that's for sure.
I can totally agree with you on that. This bike does not feel like a single pivot at all. I am running the 08 Fox DHX 5.0 and I am thrilled with how this bike rides. Super smooth and surprisingly quiet too. Kudos to the engineers and designers at Tomac. This bike has already far exceeded my expectations.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
You know what, I would like to bump this up again. I actually got the bike on a real scale this last week and it was actually only 44lbs. Again, built heavy.

Bump it!

A more recent (broken in photo):

Last edited:

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
sick car! i need to get a rack on my car

mines a 91 gli with bilstein suspension, chipped, and just pretty sick. i love it

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Killer GLI! Almost car twins!

I am also doing some upgrades on my bike this week. Little bit of weight reduction with the new Po1nt direct mount stem for my 09 Fox 40.

Coming in at a light 128g with hardware. This with cutting down my steerer tube and removing some spacers, will drop the front end and overall bike weight quite a bit. I am pretty pumped on that!