Quantcast

Finally going to get a new bike

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
I have a top three picked out, but I am not sure of which one would be better, I have had my eyes on the Kona Coiler Deluxe, the Marin Rocksprings, and the Giant Reign II, all of them in the general area of 2,000.oo, I am beginning into Downhill training, to get into racing, and push my limits, which bike would be best? The workers at The Path bike shop in tustin suggested the Kona Coiler, I gave it a test ride and it felt good, but I still won't buy one until i've test ridden the Rocksprings, I have also tried the Reign II but it just felt way too awkward, thanks for the help in all my other posts

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Do you have any parts lying around that you could use to build up a used DH frame. I dunno what the geometry looks like on those bikes, but DHing with XC geo. is not too fun.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Personally for 2k I'd be looking at something with the name Iron Horse written on it somewhere just because they give you a lot of value in their bikes. Giant usually has a pretty good spec on their bikes, I can't say that the reign is the best choice for entry level DH, I'd think a light freeride bike would be more suitable.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
My choice of that group would be the Reign. If your getting into DH through, I would definitely say chuck the terrible stock tires and get a slightly shorter stem in addition.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Kornphlake said:
Personally for 2k I'd be looking at something with the name Iron Horse written on it somewhere just because they give you a lot of value in their bikes. Giant usually has a pretty good spec on their bikes, I can't say that the reign is the best choice for entry level DH, I'd think a light freeride bike would be more suitable.
Wow I finally got around to looking at the numbers on the Reign and maybe I was wrong, the geometry does look a little like a light freeride bike, very light though. I'd look for a 68* or less head angle, and definately a coil over shock, another inch of travel would be useful too. There are a lot of great bikes out there right now if you are willing to build up a bike using some of the components you already have you could probabally find a Transition (insert model name here) in your price range, SC Bullit and Yeti AS-X are good proven bikes that can be bought as a frame only and still leave you with enough to buy a new fork, bottom bracket and cranks without blowing your budget. Shop around and don't ignore used bikes or frames, if you are careful you can find some really good deals on lightly ridden bikes.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Kornphlake has some good advice . . . there are '06 66RC2X for sale in the Buy Sell forum, too. Go for a nice frame and fork and scrounge up used componentry if you can.