Quantcast

Finally got the bike perfect on a good day

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Ever had one of those days after you have made a bunch of changes to your bike, and it finally hits that level of "perfect?" I finally got there today with my ASR-5.

When I got the bike, I bought the cheapest one I could beginning of last season as I was still kind of broke from the divorce. After about 3 weeks I destroyed the rear wheel. But thankfully I had a set of Chris King/Fun Bolts/15mm/819 wheels laying around, so that was step one. One pink hub, one orange. It works with my color

I never liked any of the SRAM cranks. Just have never done it for me. But then on eBay for $45 I found a NOS set of Shimano Saint cranks in 170mm. That was step two. Since I was on ebay, I also decided I needed a bright pink

One of my friends was getting out of biking all together, just too many injuries, so he was getting rid of a bunch of Thomson stuff. New stem, new seat post. While I was on that tangent, I found an old Ti Terry saddle with magical Hawaiian print. Step three complete.

I noticed with the new stem and not recutting the tube on my fork, I really had to crank down the bolts on the headset to get it to keep from slipping. This just wasn't working for me. Now as a large man who tends to torque pretty good on his bars, I knew the answer was a King headset with the tensioner that I had on my DH bike. Problem solved. Long as I was there, I needed some red handle bars and some blue grips.

Finally, as I was coming down Somo one day, I realized that stopping is something I should have more control over. I kind of felt like Chevy Chase in Fletch 2 when he was driving the pink Caddy with no brakes. So I found some old Saint 800s, another fine ebay find. But I can't have those stock levers, they just don't work for me as a person. Thankfully Straitline makes excellent levers, so those went on. And some 180mm rotors. Fat makes heat on a downhill, trust me.

Took it out today. Got in about 12 miles just putting along on a pretty easy single track here in Phoenix. Not too challenging, but 10 minutes from my house down one street.

And I had a blast. The bike was alive finally. Bouncing, jumping, sliding as I wanted it to. Life was good again when it came to my ASR.

I have no idea why I shared this. But I am sitting here with a very happy grin. Now maybe a beer.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'll shoot some in the morning. When I picked it up from the shop yesterday the guy looked at me, looked at the bike, looked at the tattoos, and just said "oh, now it makes sense." Its like the crayola anno division had an acid trip.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
And yes. Last Saturday actually. Woke up at 545 to install an LG1 and guide ring and had a totally kick ass ride. No major changes but for some reason it was awesome.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Good work Dirk!! Good things take time.

I found perfection on my Nomad C on Sunday when I added two more clicks (from 6 to 8) of compression to both ends: Lyric Coil u-turn and Vivid 5.1 Coil.

The bike went from a bouncing clown to a bump eating beast.

I need a magical Hawaiian print saddle to complete the perfection though :thumb:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I knocked over my friends 25 year old favorite bong and the bowl broke off. I barely touched the damn thing. I felt so bad I went to the bong store and a new bong is like $90. I can't afford that.... Ever notice how many tennis players smoke pot?? Just weird I say....

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've figured out it's easier to acclimate to a given setup than to constantly buy/swap parts to get that "just right" setup. At least for me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Other than the brakes I don't really get how these changes would have a big impact on performance. For me those moments happen when I get my suspension dialed or get new tires or something and everything just clicks. But hey, whatever gets you stoked.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I knocked over my friends 25 year old favorite bong and the bowl broke off. I barely touched the damn thing. I felt so bad I went to the bong store and a new bong is like $90. I can't afford that.... Ever notice how many tennis players smoke pot?? Just weird I say....
With such a boring stress inducing sport they need some way to relax. ;)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why? Why would you do that? Do you also have a Camaro with a Firebird painted on the hood?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They're the 2.3 Moto Raptors. I give them about a B- in stick here. I just bought some 2.35 Geax DHEA's, going to give them a try. Mostly I stick to anything UST out here, tubes just seem like a bad idea.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Sorry, long night here in Phoenix. The rotors aren't spinning right now.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That yellow is sexy sexy sexy.

If I can get my paper right after buying my 303 frame, I think that the SB66 in that color is the next toy in my stable.

Good looking bike!