Quantcast

Finally Hitting Whistler.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have wanted to go since I started riding about 10 years ago. Finally booked it this year in July to make it happen. Bought the ticket last night. Can't beat $300 round trip ticket. Now the hard part...waiting.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'll be going with someone that has been a bunch that will be showing us the ropes. Already plan on starting slow. Plus, planning on riding I can beforehand just to get my endurance up. I just want to have fun and be able to enjoy riding the whole trip. Also want to check out the airdome.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice I was there every year before the kids arrive. I actually think I can get the wife to come along its more to find the budget to get 4 to go instead of just me.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My wife would go and take the kid. I just don't want to worry about her having a good time. I figure I'll go solo first and scope it out. Then I'll have a better idea if she would enjoy it or not...because I know I will...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My wife would go and take the kid. I just don't want to worry about her having a good time. I figure I'll go solo first and scope it out. Then I'll have a better idea if she would enjoy it or not...because I know I will...
I thoroughly enjoy being in the mountains, being outside, bars, good food, music, festivals, and vacations. So I guess even if I wasn't there to ride I don't understand how anyone could have a bad time.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My kid is 18 months old....so 'vacation' would be me riding and my wife babysitting. I want to ride and relax. Then I can get a feel if it's something we could swing as a family next year.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just remember, Whistler is the std capital of Canada. How's the saying go?! "Idle hands are the devil's workshop" or something like that. :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My kid is 18 months old....so 'vacation' would be me riding and my wife babysitting. I want to ride and relax. Then I can get a feel if it's something we could swing as a family next year.
I feel your pain re: "vacation". Things are def. different once you have to haul kids around and all their associated gear, keep them well fed, well napped, etc... all in a vastly less convenient and grotesquely more expensive environment. Fun!

However, there is a fun park to take the kid to (swings, slide, etc...), lots of easy hikes, beaches, etc..., so if your wife is a good sport, there is fun to be had.

I think you can even find decent babysitting services around too, so you could probably managed sneaking out for a nice dinner for a couple hours.

The solo trip is a good idea....

Do like I do when travelling (by pure luck): arrange to travel earlier or later, and get the wife to travel with a friend/sister, etc... Then you can ride a couple days in "freedom" mode, then have them meet up with you later. It is a winning formula.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I feel your pain re: "vacation". Things are def. different once you have to haul kids around and all their associated gear, keep them well fed, well napped, etc... all in a vastly less convenient and grotesquely more expensive environment. Fun!

However, there is a fun park to take the kid to (swings, slide, etc...), lots of easy hikes, beaches, etc..., so if your wife is a good sport, there is fun to be had.

I think you can even find decent babysitting services around too, so you could probably managed sneaking out for a nice dinner for a couple hours.

The solo trip is a good idea....

Do like I do when travelling (by pure luck): arrange to travel earlier or later, and get the wife to travel with a friend/sister, etc... Then you can ride a couple days in "freedom" mode, then have them meet up with you later. It is a winning formula.
We went to Cabo for a week with a bunch of people when he turned one. It sucked. It was not relaxing. IMO it was a waste of money. He is already way different now, even in 6 months, in the amount and length of naps that he takes, which would make it easier. I have wanted to go to Whistler since I first got into mountain biking. I don't want to have to worry about hanging out or entertaining the family. I want to ride. A lot. And just relax for the day when I'm done. We are still planning a family trip this year anyway and my wife is cool with it. Plus this way, I get to see what the deal is and gauge how a family trip would go. Might make it easier if I could get a couple guys to go with their families next year.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I might be up there at some point during that period. Shoot me a pm closer to the date.

I might even have my RUX by then...
Come on now... Think of all the money you would save a fellow monkey if you let him stay at your house? Geez dude. You could share food and transpo. You could go out for dinner to that awesome Indian Restaurant and be gracious enough to pay for it. Then when you go riding and give him the grand tour. Think of how you would feel making memories that he will enjoy forever. You could become Facebook friends and make inside jokes about the time you spent sharing with a Monkey. We might start to like you then also....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Come on now... Think of all the money you would save a fellow monkey if you let him stay at your house? Geez dude. You could share food and transpo. You could go out for dinner to that awesome Indian Restaurant and be gracious enough to pay for it. Then when you go riding and give him the grand tour. Think of how you would feel making memories that he will enjoy forever. You could become Facebook friends and make inside jokes about the time you spent sharing with a Monkey. We might start to like you then also....
Taking a trip to Whistler and not staying in Whistler may be cheaper, but it isn't a real trip to Whistler... Unless you live in Vancouver, of course... But then, even I make arrangements to stay overnight from time to time.

Besides, I'm still on a high from riding around and bro-ing down, talking dentistry, etc... with @drkenan way back.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Taking a trip to Whistler and not staying in Whistler may be cheaper, but it isn't a real trip to Whistler... Unless you live in Vancouver, of course... But then, even I make arrangements to stay overnight from time to time.

Besides, I'm still on a high from riding around and bro-ing down, talking dentistry, etc... with @drkenan way back.
Just trying to help. What has infected your soul and made you so hateful? Prison?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We have a condo lined up with a friend that's staying for 3 weeks.
If you ever come to Western NY I will let you stay at my house and show you where the good riding is. I am willing to bet Dapeach couldn't cook an egg to save his life.... A big meanie apparently also.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If you ever come to Western NY I will let you stay at my house and show you where the good riding is. I am willing to bet Dapeach couldn't cook an egg to save his life.... A big meanie apparently also.
I'M not the one NOT inviting you to go to whistler and stay in a condo for 3 weeks. Think of all the eggs you could eat in that time!

Unlike kazamataz over here...

Now who's the jerk?