Quantcast

Finally...the Yeti 303

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
seismic said:
Hmmmm, - not much of a Yeti-fan, but it is BLING for sure.........as a tech.freak I feel obligated to give it 5 BLING-s....

Indeed!

That rig stinks of speed! :heart:

I didn't think Graves was a flatpedal rider but my eyes may be misleading me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
buildyourown said:
I don't think that Yeti would do that. I think Yeti has a strong name and I'm hoping that they had the wisdom to let this design mature before they released it. Many designs are unveiled at SeaOtter and ridden by the pros all summer before they are released to the public. The IH Sunday and the new Fox DH40 come to mind. I've seen both of those being thrashed at whistler all last summer by various pros. Does that mean Yeti didn't thrash the 303 on a private track somewhere? No. But I bet IH put more real world vertical feet on the new Sunday than Yeti did on the 303.

I undestand the need for marketing, creating buzz, etc., but personally it drives me nuts to see bike companies unveiling new rigs at Sea Otter when they are nowhere near ready for production, and won't be until well after Interbike the following year, if not longer. Maybe (just maybe) yeti has been working on the 303 for a long time but wanted to make sure they were close to a final before showing it to anyone...

And I also think the early hype machine is self-defeating because it gets people so psyched about vapor-ware that they hold of buying something already on the market. Doesn't really apply to Fox because the 40 is Fox's first dh fork, but I wonder how many people didn't buy Iron Horse bikes this year because they're waiting for the new ones? Or, how many people didn't buy M1's towards the end there 'cuz they were waiting for M3's that were first shown more than two years ago and are just now hitting stores?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Full Trucker said:
Pulled from cyclingnews.com - Graves went real fast-like on the "yet unproven technology" that is the 303 and wound up 3rd at the Aussie Nat'l Champs. Hannah 1st, Rennie 2nd, Graves, Jared Rando 4th and Ben Cory 5th. Hoo-rah!

Not the best pictures of the bike, but hey - you asked for non-catalogue style, right?
Psh, He didnt win so the bike still sucks.
:eviltongu

For real tho, I guess the Auzzie series will be the race testing for this season, it seems really odd that Gravey and Killer weren't on them earlier this season like Angry kittens were on the DWs all year.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
As for the color scheme, when your a poor college student you learn to live with the colors you're given. Anyhow, how much more fun is it to smoke people on a bike that looks like sh*t?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WheelieMan said:
Wow, I had no idea that they are planning on using the rail technology for other models. That's great news!
Great news? Isn't that a little hasty? I mean, nobody even knows if it will hold up, if it works any better than pivots, or anything - and now it's "great news" that it's being used on other models?

bigkonarider said:
Current DH9 is a proven design .
Yes, and so are rigid hardtails... but if we didn't have companies that innovated, the bike industry wouldn't go anywhere.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
binary visions said:
Yes, and so are rigid hardtails... but if we didn't have companies that innovated, the bike industry wouldn't go anywhere.

:stupid:

Seriously Bigkona, the abacus is a proven design but you seem to like your computer don't you?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
binary visions said:
Great news? Isn't that a little hasty? I mean, nobody even knows if it will hold up, if it works any better than pivots, or anything - and now it's "great news" that it's being used on other models?
well, it'd be nice to know what the replacement cost of the rail and car system would be if it was a yearly replacement affair.

And unfortunatly, the only way to know about true durability is letting it out on the market for abuse in numbers. Although the more i think about it, the more i feel everythings gonna be ok :thumb:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Here's some more 303 innovation:
A little birdy told me about the addition of an eccentric link to adjust BB height located below the car at the upper pivot. :sneaky:

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
binary visions said:

Yeah I do think it's great news. This sort of design has never been tried before, and in my opinion will prove to be better than designs with conventional pivots. This sort of design allows for an adjustable wheelpath. Name another bike that can do that! I'm sure yeti will make this design durable, they are proving to be one of the most innovative companies, and I'm sure they wouldn't even start this project if they didn't think it would hold up.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
WheelieMan said:
Yeah I do think it's great news. This sort of design has never been tried before, and in my opinion will prove to be better than designs with conventional pivots. This sort of design allows for an adjustable wheelpath. Name another bike that can do that! I'm sure yeti will make this design durable, they are proving to be one of the most innovative companies, and I'm sure they wouldn't even start this project if they didn't think it would hold up.
Right on! You have obviously fashioned a similar aluminum foil helmet as I have to stop the evil influence from stealing your soul.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
A page and HALF?!?!?! In a whole DAY? When did I post those pictures... Sunday night? Monday first thing? Monday Noon? I resurrected the Yeti 303 thread and a page and a HALF of bickering is all you people can give me?!?!?! After A DAY AND A HALF?!?! And it took over 24 HOURS for someone to mention the MUD issue?!?!

Well! I for one, am dissappointed! :sneaky:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Full Trucker said:
A page and HALF?!?!?! In a whole DAY? When did I post those pictures... Sunday night? Monday first thing? Monday Noon? I resurrected the Yeti 303 thread and a page and a HALF of bickering is all you people can give me?!?!?! After A DAY AND A HALF?!?! And it took over 24 HOURS for someone to mention the MUD issue?!?!

Well! I for one, am dissappointed! :sneaky:
Oops, what were we thinking? Ahem, let me just say:

It's ugly and will never work. When it gets muddy it bucks you off and cries for it's mommy...the DH9, which we all know was a proven and perfect design from the very first prototype, and nobody ever saw one until they were on the showroom floor, and you never EVER needed to maintain or replace, and I can't believe they tried to come up with something new...and...and....somebody call the WHAAAAMBULANCE!!!!

how's that?