Quantcast

FINALLY!!!!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I talked the wife into picking out herself a pistol of her own. M&P shield 9mm. She is even going to allow me to put her threw a few stresser classes and some run and gun stuff.
Even better got it for 299!!!
Now I get to pick out my new rifle, finally broke it down and planning on a .223/556 bolt action. Decided against the 22-250 just because of cost to use. Of course I will be reloading like all my other rifles but at 20cents a round I can't go wrong.

Now to narrow that down...
Ruger American or savage axis... That is the question

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
love the two Shields that ive had. theyve run like a clock since ive had them with easily 3k rounds through them with only the occasional hard primer on my reloads.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
True, the package I was able to get came with three 8 round extended mags. The le gth is fine it's just too skinny for my likes.

With that said it doesn't really matter what I think cause it's not for me, and she likes it and that makes me happy. Looks like I will be signing her up for a training class here soon too.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
well it is a subcompact. Hyve Technologies makes an mag extension for the 8rd mag too if you need more to grab onto.
+1 for the hyve mags. I carry/train with them and love them. ive had a 40, but I sold it and then got the 9, haven't looked back since. id love to try the 45 shield out, my buddy who has had plenty of time with one said it shoots like a dream!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My wife also chose the M&P 9mm.

Nary a problem with hers either. I also don't like the fit, I prefer the Springfield XDS in that category....

I just picked up a Springfield Saint to compliment my XD Mod 2. Very fun and easy to use. Picking up a 22lr conversion for it shortly so I can plink with it cost effectively.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Picking up a 22lr conversion for it shortly so I can plink with it cost effectively.
I don't know much about them except one of the instructors I train with is always having issues with his. get a good one if you do. you could always get a dedicated upper and swap between the two.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
yeah my buddy mentioned something about certain something or other types....I'm not all up on my lingo yet, i just shoot em, clean em, and repeat.

He basically said get the good conversion kit with something or other coating/material as well....I dunno, he's a range rat and his dad is a CPL instructor, so whatever he says lol

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't know much about them except one of the instructors I train with is always having issues with his. get a good one if you do. you could always get a dedicated upper and swap between the two.
i have nothing but problems with my CMMG conversion kit for my full size rifle. ftf, fte, double feeds..the works. i got a M&P 15-22 to resolve the issue.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i have nothing but problems with my CMMG conversion kit for my full size rifle. ftf, fte, double feeds..the works. i got a M&P 15-22 to resolve the issue.
it is very interesting you say that, his is a CMMG conv kit too (although its a pistol kit). the last time he used it, he had feeding issues with it and it ended up getting a live round stuck in it and couldn't get it to eject. he finally got it out, then promptly put it back in its case. LOL

I keep forgetting about the 15-22s. they sell like hot cakes at the range I work at from time to time. its nice too as you get a whole dedicated firearm, compared to always swapping out uppers off one lower. I think you can buy the 15-22 for what it costs to build an upper (I think they're a little under 300 @ cost, IIRC). I really dig that they have last round bolt hold open too.

with that said, I finally managed to amass my grandfathers 22 stash. its only 4k rounds or so, but it looks like ive got some 22 to burn!!!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I have yet to see a 22lr conversion that works properly.

Use this as food for thought, is it really cost effective to add a 200 -300 dollar kit to shoot 22lr to your gun, or should you just buy another gun meant for 22lr

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Use this as food for thought, is it really cost effective to add a 200 -300 dollar kit to shoot 22lr to your gun, or should you just buy another gun meant for 22lr
yeah for the price of the conversion kits, id get a Ruger 10/22 or spend a bit more on the 15-22..though that latter has been nearly as reliable for me