Quantcast

finaly deciding on a fr frame- I think

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I got an evolution, but I need a dh/fr bike. I think I have finally decided on a frame: sgs fr '03 or '04. My plan is to run a super-t with e13 reduction cups. Are there any major flaws in this frame/design?

Is anyone selling one?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
should I do an 8,7,9 speed drivetrain?

I am so desperate, I rode a stab at whistler and I have to have fr bike. I don't really care about weight too much. I don't have much money, so maybe my dad can get me a frame for around $350 and I will get all the parts.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
mtnbrider said:
I got an evolution, but I need a dh/fr bike. I think I have finally decided on a frame: sgs fr '03 or '04. My plan is to run a super-t with e13 reduction cups. Are there any major flaws in this frame/design?

Is anyone selling one?
SGS's are nice bikes. really solid. a super t will be a good match on one of those

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
ioscope said:
Look for demo bikes. Ones that large bike companies like kona and giant use.
If you honestly loved the garbonzo or freight train, they sell the rental stabs and other rentals at the various shops at the end of each year for peanuts if you can wait that long...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Arn't the rentals ridden pretty hard by people? How much would they sell them for? Are they still selling any bikes from last year?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay to solve all question about the sgs.

1st the freeride editions come dont come with 12mm bolt thru. that is only dh versions. second only the dh version linkages have had problems and e13 and ironhorse will send you a brand new linkage if you have problems and will guarentee that it will not move. also the super t will be a good match for it. i run one on my sgs team dh 03 and it is awsome. so no worries about that.

about the rental bikes.yeh never buy a rental if you plan to keep the bike. the rentals are not taken care of and will deffinatly fall apart. the bike shops will do anything to get them running and dont really care what the outcome is as long as they have them running and people are riding them. so short version **** gets broke and it stays broke with out serious $

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
mtnbrider said:
HOw much play doe the '03 have? Can I fix it?
The lower shock pivot bolt tends to get bent and induce slop. Replace it with a grade 8 bolt or shcs(allen), new eyelet reducers and yer better than new. For 04 they added a brace to the e-13 linkage to reduce lateral flex. On the 04 sgs DH models, the lower chainstays were redesigned and are being sold as an 03 upgrade. Not sure if the FR model went through the same changes. At 5'9, I rode a small sgs DH and absolutly loved it (aside from the weight, HUGE downtube...), but would have needed a medium FR. Hope this helps.

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
i have an 04 SGS freeride pro and i love it. theyre really nice bikes and a super-T would kick ass on it. I say go for it

-Ashlon

Jou

Monkey
May 16, 2004
Powell/Laramie, Wyoming
frznnomad said:
...second only the dh version linkages have had problems and e13 and ironhorse will send you a brand new linkage if you have problems and will guarentee that it will not move...
They'll guarantee it won't move, and they will send you a brand new linkage...

...for $225.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Originally Posted by frznnomad
...second only the dh version linkages have had problems and e13 and ironhorse will send you a brand new linkage if you have problems and will guarentee that it will not move...__________________________________________________________-

What about the fr version

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have seen a lot of dh frames and not fr frames. Would I be able to fr a dh one? In the geometry, what is different besides HT angle (is this really slack w/ a super-t).