Quantcast

Find all the fractures

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh damn...sorry! Hope for a speedy recovery and none of the neuropathic pain I had a few months ago when I got my cast off!

To pass the time, I put together a workout routine that didn't need my foot, so upper body, sitting, stuff on back, etc. I'm slowing incorporating more weight on my foot into it still, not quite doing weighted squats at this point, but getting close.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That sucks, Eric. Heal up soon.

So, I can only spot the obvious break in the fib, above the joint. Where are the other fractures?
The one you saw is an oblique lateral malleolus fracture at the syndesmosis.

The other one is a transverse medial malleolus fracture.

Ankle mortise is also a little widened.

Should be a good recovery as the articular surface, the tibial plafond, looks ok.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Should be a good recovery as the articular surface, the tibial plafond, looks ok.
I was about to say the same, plus he has a slight contusion on his knee the x-ray doesn't show.

Glad it wasn't worse and you were somewhere accessible/with someone who could help you out.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

The resident from podiatry went to town on the leg getting the mortice back into its proper place.4 mg of morphine and a nerve block made it tolerable while he did it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

I saw these two

but had to look this up. I assume this is a result of the nature of the way the ankle twisted/broke? Everything "shifting" one direction?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

time to fire up the ms paint machine and mark up that xray for me!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You got it, Shane. Mortise is widened because its two walls that normally confine it are fractured.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:eek:

So much for fishing being a safe alternative.

Heal up quick! Hate to see you down just as the weather starts turning nice.

This mean no more ambalamps duty for a while?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ok so now that I am not all doped up. Here is what happened. The creek was running really high and fast and there were limited access points to fish. I had tried 3-4 spots and had no bites. I was walking up stream on the bluff above the creek when I spotted a likely place to fish. so I made my way down a tiny trail to creek level. I was probably a 50-75 foot descent then made my way to the water. It looked solid but as I got near the bank gave way and took me with it. I think my leg got caught on a root as I twisted and fell back first into the water and mud. I got lucky that it was shallow slack water. I knew instantly that the Fibula was broken. I grabbed some brush and pulled myself up and onto the bank. When I was able to stand and put weight on the leg I figured that the Tibia was mostly intact. One of the guys in the group I was with from the Tri Valley Fly Fishing Club saw the fall and came over to check on me. I used his wading staff to work my way back up to the truck. Once there I got a cardboard splint out from behind the back seat and my first aid kit out and got my waders and boots off. I could feel the fibula break and with that we splinted the ankle and I got in the truck and drove myself 18 miles to Kaiser Vacaville. The pain was intense but bearable

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The most common fishing issue we have here is people getting stuck in the mud, then the 20 foot tide comes in. They had one that was stuck so bad they had to use a pipe so they could breathe, but they ended up dying because the suction was so great. They've revised procedures some, but people still get caught and die.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The most common fishing issue we have here is people getting stuck in the mud, then the 20 foot tide comes in. They had one that was stuck so bad they had to use a pipe so they could breathe, but they ended up dying because the suction was so great. They've revised procedures some, but people still get caught and die.
Well, that and the bears...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Now i understand the post about Tylenol 3... damn son... glad you're "good" (i.e. not stuck underwater). Here's to a swift and full recovery.