Quantcast

Find Fossett from your computer..now!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A Google Earth satellite scan of the Steve Fossett search area has just been released from a couple nights ago. With it you can search a previously unassigned area for Fossett's plane. You could very likely find him.

To do this, here are the steps:

1. Download the kml file of the new satellite scan.
2. Go to a webpage to get your own coordinates to search.
3. Paste the coordinates into the Google Earth "fly to" window.
4. Search your area for few minutes.
5. Go back to the webpage and refresh it to get some new coordinates to search.

You can do all this from this page:
Amazon Mechanical Turk

At the right of the page, there is a link to download the KML file. Above it in bold are the coordinates that you will copy and paste into Google Earth. Then, refresh the page to get new coordinates when you are done.

If you do not have Google Earth, download it here.

More info: http://www.stevefossett.com/

it is totally obnoxious having to register on Amazon to do that part of it. Really poorly thought out on their part, considering all the effort made to make the rest of the system work so well.

You can still participate without doing the Hits thing by just refreshing the page to get new coordinates.

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
I think I found something. I'll try to attach the picture. But it looks like the main section of a plane including the wings. The interesting thing is that the length of the wings in what I saw is identical to the wingspan of the Decathlon he was flying... 32 feet. I already called and emailed this picture and coordinates to the search team. What do you guys think? Think it looks like a plane?

Attachments

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I think I found something. I'll try to attach the picture. But it looks like the main section of a plane including the wings. The interesting thing is that the length of the wings in what I saw is identical to the wingspan of the Decathlon he was flying... 32 feet. I already called and emailed this picture and coordinates to the search team. What do you guys think? Think it looks like a plane?
Good job Fayetteville. Maybe you found it.

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
wow...another person from fayettnam...we're taking over
Yes we are! You ride Lake Fayetteville a lot? I live really close to it, making it so convenient that I don't even ride anymore. :banghead:

Well, some other guy emailed me about the object I found from Google Earth needing to know the coordinates (they were on the picture but I had a typo in the email). He said they were taking a close look at it and thanked me for my help.

This must be a very thorough search. They've already found 8 undocumented crashes from who knows when.