Quantcast

Finding/archiving technical and informative threads - a discussion

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
On the heels of this thread:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3447981

I want to discuss this because it's VERY important to keeping the forums valuable and informative, and providing a place to find information.

In particular, something like this:

I'll agree, I don't understand the reason for the preferential treatment towards some products compared to others in regard to sticky'd threads.
Preferential treatment? There are over 2,500 replies to the IH Sunday tuning thread. Is that preferential to a manufacturer, or is it preferential based on popularity? IH/Evil appeared to get "preferential" treatment because there are/were people here who had direct-from-the-source information that was really easy to trust/make available.

That said, of course there are many threads that are immensely useful that get lost.

Would I like it if there was a more streamlined approach of researching product setup advice and tips? Abso-freaking-lutely!, but I'm not really how one could build a user friendly structured web database/forum that would be optimized as such.
So, definitely. I agree with this.

I have been working with building a useful set of thread prefixes. A few threads thus far have had them - our news threads, particularly. The shirt contest I posted. Stuff like that.

These thread prefixes are indexed in the database, making them very easily searchable. I would love to start a system of marking useful threads with prefixes rather than relying on "sticky" threads. The stuck threads start cluttering up the forum and we can't/shouldn't keep old tech threads up there forever - but just because they're not topical doesn't mean they're not useful.

Check out the advanced search. If there were technical prefixes in there like "Suspension" or "Drivetrain", would you use them? Would it be better to just have one "Technical" prefix that we could encapsulate all high quality technical threads with?

We could very easily build a feed of all of the threads tagged with one or many specific prefixes, so it could be browsable as well as searchable.

Thoughts?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
great thread! can you make this a sticky?

:D

srsly though, i think the prefix idea might help but i'd prefer a simple prefix like 'technical'. and yeah, i'd use that in an advanced search.

so since 'technical' would come to mean, essentially, 'a useful thread with actual content', who would determine what threads get labelled or not labelled 'technical'? at what point in the thread's life?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I think any mfg'r directly supporting this site with banner ads or advertising co-op dollars should be allowed to have stickied threads. If the other guys want to step up there can be a entire tuning archive. until then, keep supporting those who support you.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I think any mfg'r directly supporting this site with banner ads or advertising co-op dollars should be allowed to have stickied threads. If the other guys want to step up there can be a entire tuning archive. until then, keep supporting those who support you.
and if they stop paying for the ad, then the sticky drops off into the void?

sorta the extortion model of business. sweet.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I have been working with building a useful set of thread prefixes. A few threads thus far have had them - our news threads, particularly. The shirt contest I posted. Stuff like that.

These thread prefixes are indexed in the database, making them very easily searchable. I would love to start a system of marking useful threads with prefixes rather than relying on "sticky" threads. The stuck threads start cluttering up the forum and we can't/shouldn't keep old tech threads up there forever - but just because they're not topical doesn't mean they're not useful.

Check out the advanced search. If there were technical prefixes in there like "Suspension" or "Drivetrain", would you use them? Would it be better to just have one "Technical" prefix that we could encapsulate all high quality technical threads with?

We could very easily build a feed of all of the threads tagged with one or many specific prefixes, so it could be browsable as well as searchable.

Thoughts?
I like that idea, but one thing I wish the admins would change that would help this along a lot, is giving people the ability to modify the title of threads they've already posted. A lot of the most interesting tech stuff doesn't pop up in threads that were specifically about that topic to begin with, it gets drawn in later as a result of discussion. As it stands, you may find that the prefixes aren't so useful because they can't be applied retrospectively to threads that contain lots of good info about something but weren't originally intended to cover that specific stuff.

I reckon the more specific, the better really. A few suggestions:
- Suspension setup
- Drivetrain
- New gear
- Geometry

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
A frame mod prefix one would be great. For example one of the most useful treads was the drilled turner mod and other similar treads.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like that idea, but one thing I wish the admins would change that would help this along a lot, is giving people the ability to modify the title of threads they've already posted. A lot of the most interesting tech stuff doesn't pop up in threads that were specifically about that topic to begin with, it gets drawn in later as a result of discussion. As it stands, you may find that the prefixes aren't so useful because they can't be applied retrospectively to threads that contain lots of good info about something but weren't originally intended to cover that specific stuff.
First, yes, you can modify the thread titles already posted. In the forum view, double click next to the thread title.

Second, the prefixes would probably have to be moderator-applied. Otherwise, everyone with anything that they think is remotely interesting would be applying the prefix - but in any event, it would/could be applied retrospectively. That'd actually be the idea - when a thread is clearly becoming something that's worthy of note, it could be prefixed to appear in the search engine.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's not really the way things work around here. I don't want advertisers to be directly driving the content of the forums. There are lots of ways that advertisers can help with content - participating in the forums, having their own dedicated forum, providing good, technical news articles/editorials/press releases... There are lots of advertiser-driven avenues to get content to you guys.

When we sticky something, it's on the basis of merit, not advertisers. It's not a perfect science, obviously... there are lots of things that don't get stuck and probably should. But I don't really like the concept of sticky threads as a way to keep technical information visible. It clutters the top of the forum and makes things like announcements or other transient, high-visibility items harder to see. I'd much prefer a system of prefixes or a dedicated forum to list the high-value, technical threads.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
First, yes, you can modify the thread titles already posted. In the forum view, double click next to the thread title.

Second, the prefixes would probably have to be moderator-applied. Otherwise, everyone with anything that they think is remotely interesting would be applying the prefix - but in any event, it would/could be applied retrospectively. That'd actually be the idea - when a thread is clearly becoming something that's worthy of note, it could be prefixed to appear in the search engine.
That doesn't seem to work for me, as far as I know that's a moderator-only means of editing? I'm a mod on Rotorburn and I can do it to anyone's threads on there by double clicking next to the title, but doesn't seem to work here on my own ones. Editing the OP in a thread alters the title that's shown when you actually open the thread but not the one you see from the forum view. Could you double check that for me please?

I'm cool with having mod-applied prefixes or whatever, just thought it'd mean more work for you guys.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Thoughts?
I think that's a great start! I clearly don't have web based technical know how or cognitive ability to brainstorm these sort of ideas :D, but I like it.

BTW, I didn't mean to come off as some sort of moral judge of how to run a website, and in general I like the attitude, and communal/fraternal nature of RM. There are some things and people that I believe are lowering the quality of the website and it's usefulness, but that doesn't mean that I'm in the right. As much as I never thought I'd do this, maybe it's time for me to become more of a "power user" and utilize some of the features available on RM to tailor it more towards my liking.

Anyway, thanks for listening. It's appreciated.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Could you double check that for me please?
Okay, this is now fixed. New threads should be able to have the title edited for 2 weeks after the thread is opened. Thanks for the heads-up, I thought everyone could edit their thread titles but there's a little tweak in vBulletin that required changing.

I'm cool with having mod-applied prefixes or whatever, just thought it'd mean more work for you guys.
It will. However, I just don't see another way to police the content. When the details are ironed out, we'll make sure there's some kind of convenient way for you guys to point out the great threads to make sure they're noticed and prefixed appropriately.

Inclag said:
BTW, I didn't mean to come off as some sort of moral judge of how to run a website
Hey, seriously, all input is appreciated. Even the people who come off like douchebags criticizing the site (and that's not you, just in general) are, in all reality, still part of the process and we still have to listen. It's a community site - who are we serving, if not the community? What good does it do to tailor a site to my specifications if nobody else likes it? It'd be awfully lonely sitting here in this big ol' DH forum posting by myself.

There are some things and people that I believe are lowering the quality of the website and it's usefulness
The things can and should be fixed. I'm a huge fan of building better tools.

The people can only be fixed to a certain extent. We can be hot and heavy with the ban hammer but it's only going to accomplish so much - in the end, there are a steady influx of new users and only at atmosphere that fosters helpfulness will guide them to the right place. If there are a lot of asshats, though, report the posts. Someone will look at them and decide whether it's acceptable or worthy of a banning/warning/deletion.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Okay, this is now fixed. New threads should be able to have the title edited for 2 weeks after the thread is opened.
Is there any chance you can take the time limit off it? The reason I suggest this is because often question threads turn into a wealth of information about a topic, but the thread title is still a lame question so it might not give insight into what's actually in the thread.

Other MTB forums seem to allow changing of thread title, always bothered me that RM didn't.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It will. However, I just don't see another way to police the content. When the details are ironed out, we'll make sure there's some kind of convenient way for you guys to point out the great threads to make sure they're noticed and prefixed appropriately.
Set up a binary rating system - "Do you think this thread should be archived as a tech doc?"

Set a threshold of X that when reached sends an alert to mods to review the thread and take appropriate action.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is there any chance you can take the time limit off it? The reason I suggest this is because often question threads turn into a wealth of information about a topic, but the thread title is still a lame question so it might not give insight into what's actually in the thread.
I agree.. I guess I figured if good information were to surface, it would be within two weeks. The average thread on here doesn't stay around for more than a couple weeks.

There's no way to remove the time limit, but I can extend it. Let me check.

gurp said:
Set up a binary rating system - "Do you think this thread should be archived as a tech doc?"
Definitely, only there's no built-in way to do it. Would have to install a hack in vBulletin or do something homegrown. Lots of stuff on our plate right now, but I'll look into it.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Definitely, only there's no built-in way to do it. Would have to install a hack in vBulletin or do something homegrown. Lots of stuff on our plate right now, but I'll look into it.
If you really want to dork out -

- Set-up a wiki
- Users can copy post information to the wiki at the click of a button, possibly using the same binary rating as a check (5 clicks moves the info to the wiki).
- Admin is responsible for filing