Quantcast

Finds from the SotD

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Its sorta like bands you are digging but let's see if we can give Narlus some motivation to keep this up.

For me its definately The Black Keys. Very much into them right now. I bought the one album they had at the store and ordered the other two.

I'm also digging Jawbox, Silver Jews, and the bevis fond.

And a reminder about Ween.

Thanks Narlus. This has been awesome. I hope you keep it up.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
DRB said:
Its sorta like bands you are digging but let's see if we can give Narlus some motivation to keep this up.

For me its definately The Black Keys. Very much into them right now. I bought the one album they had at the store and ordered the other two.

I'm also digging Jawbox, Silver Jews, and the bevis fond.

And a reminder about Ween.

Thanks Narlus. This has been awesome. I hope you keep it up.
I am right with you...

I think there may have been one song of the day that I didn't like, and now I can't even remember what it was... as a matter of fact I probably like it now cause all of TSOD are in my que on the puter!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
spreading the word is what it's all about. it's why i spend so much time and money at stores, clubs, and reading/writing/listening about or to music. i have found word of mouth works far better than any marketing scheme.

just a small caveat to remember: these SotD choices are just a sliver, and not always meant to be representative of a band's overall sound (and remember bands constantly evolve as well), so if you are interested and want to delve deeper, shoot me a PM and i can try to steer you to a good cd to start w/ , which is key when you take a look at someone like the Bevis Frond who has released over 20 cds.

i remember a friend of mine buying Cat Power's _What Would The Community Think_ after i put "taking people" on a comp for her, and she absolutely hated the rest of the cd. :wonky2:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Narlus is just a tool of the large media corporations, I refuse to give in.

Actually my home PC has been down along with a very sketchy home intarweb connection. I was only able to download the first few. Looking forward to being able to download them again.

On a side musical note going to see Ween tonight. Not of the obscure Narlus style but I've heard they are good live.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Narlus supplied with another helping of The Black Keys... they rock. Going to have to go out and find me some more!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Westy said:
On a side musical note going to see Ween tonight. Not of the obscure Narlus style but I've heard they are good live.

i just got introduced to the slanted genius of Ween two years ago...i'd always dismissed them based on the "Push the Little Daisies" song and not investigated further. MISTAKE!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
i just got introduced to the slanted genius of Ween two years ago...i'd always dismissed them based on the "Push the Little Daisies" song and not investigated further. MISTAKE!
I did the same thing until I heard someone else do a cover of Roses are Free.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
narlus said:
i remember a friend of mine buying Cat Power's _What Would The Community Think_ after i put "taking people" on a comp for her, and she absolutely hated the rest of the cd. :wonky2:
Ah, Cat Power. A friend of mine was trying to talk me into going to one of her shows (which was opened by former Flat Duo Jets member Dexter Romwebber). I had heard that her shows were either mind-blowingly awesome or gawdawfully dreadful and she melts down on stage. How can you pass that up? Either you get a great performance or epic human drama. We got one of the meltdown shows.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've seen her twice, and she pretty much made it through ok w/o any real issues. both shows were excellent overall too...GBV/Railroad Jerk was one, and Palace/Smog the other.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
My wife's comment after the show was "why the hell would you tour if you were afraid of being on stage?". That said, there were moments of brilliance in the show, but it ended with Chan running off stage and apologizing about how bad it was.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
binary visions said:
Narlus supplied with another helping of The Black Keys... they rock. Going to have to go out and find me some more!
if you go to their site... you can listen to their new stuff... it is great... they have a player so you don't have to download... you can get an idea of the new album... it RAWKS... you may even recognize that one of their songs is now in a car ad... (I don't know if that is good but it sure aint bad) :thumb: