Quantcast

Fire in Downieville

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/506
Summary

Fire began Tuesday afternoon and burned east from the Gold Lake Road at a rapid rate of spread due to winds. Handline and dozer line are being built tonight. Two recreation residence tracts were advised to evacuate. These tracts are on National Forest and contain recreation cabins. Carvin Creek was evacuated earlier with about 20 cabins and Haskell Creek was recently recommended to evacuate and contains about 30 cabins.

east of the Sierra Buttes north of Hwy 49
15 miles east of Downieville and north of Hwy 49

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
when i got up this morning there was a sh1t load of smoke in the air... burn d-ville burn :(.. this whole region is a freakin tinderbox if ever i ve seen one...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Uh...You ever see downieville?

Trees like that don't grow back in a year dude.
Because they're bigger, the trees are probably fine. They usually only get the outside burned and all the leaves and stuff burned off. They'll probably look a little crusty for a while, but fires are what weed out the unhealthy, dying trees all the healthy ones will be ok.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
It really depends on the condition of the forest. A maintained forest, either by thinning or controlled burns, will survive a fire much better than most current forests.

Basically, the long held practice of extinguishing fires as quickly as possible has had a detrimental effect on forests. They have become overgrown, the underbrush is too thick, and the trees are too close together.
If/when it catches on fire, everything burns, not just the underbrush and small trees.

Kindof a catch-22. Since we've been fighting fires, we're making them worse, which kills more trees, and is more difficult to control.

Where this fire is located (north east of d'ville) didn't seem overgrown (last I can recall anyway). Hopefully it will be okay, many areas around d'ville (if burned) will basically burn to the ground.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Does anyone know when they stop running shuttles? I would like to go up for October 14th... That is, if we don't get a bunch of snow between now and then. I'm guessing it might be an early winter.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey Amy -

There's a trail day on Sat the 14th and riding Sunday the 15th, so hopefully it won't be too tough to get a lift that weekend. I hope to go, still a bit up in the air.

http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?event=ZPGPJQCSMXZOFLFKDSKZ&li=iq&src=email

Downieville Fall Colors Celebration/New Trail Dedication
you're invited! Print Invitation Details

Host: Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship
105 Commercial, Downieville, CA View Map
When: Saturday, October 14, 8:30am
Phone: 530-289-3010
Come on up to Downieville and help us celebrate the fall colors and the much anticipated, official opening of the Sunrise Trail.

On Saturday we will provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for all Trail Daze participants as well as the customary after-work beer.

Metal Mike will also be DJ-ing the traditional Halloween “Pimp-n-Ho” costume party/dance at the Downieville Community Center.

One of the Trail Daze projects will be to complete the last few feet of the Sunrise Trail and put up the signs. The Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship will be adopting Sunrise Trail and sponsoring all its care. (We will auction off name-space on the trailhead signs to the highest bidders to help with this effort, so bring your checkbook.)

Sunday we will be riding, so don't forget your bikes!!

Feel free to invite anyone who may be interested in attending. Just be sure to include the total number you are bringing along with your RSVP by October 7th.

Hope to see you all up here on October 14th!!!!!

Erik

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
that might be an option... trail work on saturday and ride sunday. saturday is my birthday and i was looking forward to riding with some friends and mr.amyd.

i've been on the east coast and won't be able to ride again until next monday. i'm getting antsy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
that might be an option... trail work on saturday and ride sunday. saturday is my birthday and i was looking forward to riding with some friends and mr.amyd.

i've been on the east coast and won't be able to ride again until next monday. i'm getting antsy.
Uh, your best friend in the world will be doing trail maintenance while you ride on your birthday...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Uh, your best friend in the world will be doing trail maintenance while you ride on your birthday...
annie's doing trail maintenance? really? she doesn't even ride bikes. that's craziness.

you better bake me a cake for my birthday or i'll be pissed. right now i'm hating life, so i'm looking forward to a nice weekend out on the 14th.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
annie's doing trail maintenance? really? she doesn't even ride bikes. that's craziness.

you better bake me a cake for my birthday or i'll be pissed. right now i'm hating life, so i'm looking forward to a nice weekend out on the 14th.
So much for our relationship...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
remember how we were supposed to ride together 2 weeks ago. and remember how you blew me off? those wounds are still fresh.

you missed out anyways. it was the last time to be able to ride xmas valley before they wrecked it. it's awful now.

anyways.... maybe i'll come out october 14th for the trail maintenance thingy. that would be nice. but if there is no snow here i may try to squeeze in another ride down toad's. but i guess snow is on the way. hopefully ben's at home chopping up lots of firewood.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
remember how we were supposed to ride together 2 weeks ago. and remember how you blew me off? those wounds are still fresh.

you missed out anyways. it was the last time to be able to ride xmas valley before they wrecked it. it's awful now.

anyways.... maybe i'll come out october 14th for the trail maintenance thingy. that would be nice. but if there is no snow here i may try to squeeze in another ride down toad's. but i guess snow is on the way. hopefully ben's at home chopping up lots of firewood.
Don't feel bad about sanjuro flaking, he is basicly worthless as far as showing up ontime/ showing up at all.

Although to his credit he is getting alot better

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't feel bad about sanjuro flaking, he is basicly worthless as far as showing up ontime/ showing up at all.

Although to his credit he is getting alot better
What I am good for is standing up for friends. Like how I threatened to quit if you didn't get hired?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Yeah, it is funny how when you have to work the weekend of your birthday, you don't have much time to play...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Wait. What happened to xmas valley???
The rerouted the crap out of it. If it was fun and even a bit challenging.... then it is gone. Seriously. Loose rocky bit, the stairs, it's all gone. Makes me very very sad.

Does anyone know if Downieville will be ridable this weekend w/ the snow we're getting? It's coming down pretty good right now. I'm not ready for it yet. Sad that Toad's is probably done for the year.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I just got back from D'ville on Sunday. There was no snow yet, but we got some rain Friday night. We were camping in the rain! The trails were perfect in the morning on Saturday though. I think it's supposed to be clear up there this week. The shuttles are still running. Call ahead to let them know you are coming.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
yeah. i saw on the news yesterday that south tahoe was pretty much the only area hit with snow.
and it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. it was pretty damn cold out last night.
That's why I won't go to Tahoe in winter... too cold.