Quantcast

>>>Fire roasting Monday<<<

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You should upgrade to EP8 and tell me how to do it/what's necessary.
Send me $3k for the motor and I’ll be happy too! Actually to be serious, I once read that there was some sort of deep pairing between a new motor and battery that requires ‘Shimano admin’ level software access. My understanding is you can ‘just buy a new battery’ of the same type but not ‘just swap out the motor’. Anyone — Happy to be corrected on this.

If it is not true, then simply replacing the motor is easier than a fork service for sure. It is very literally; unbolt, unplug, reverse. The EP8 does have the same bolt pattern, and should fit inside nearly any existing guard.

However just FYI it is only 300g lighter and 15 extra torques. Just poop before ride… and I don’t know about you but I have never felt the need for more torques, I think my rear tyre has always broken traction before I have got to max torque.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Not for the weight savings, but for the increased torque. I'm sure it requires the new little dash-computer thing as well.

Interesting re battery pairing. I have 3 504 Wh Shimano batteries now, but all from the current E8000 generation.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Not for the weight savings, but for the increased torque. I'm sure it requires the new little dash-computer thing as well.

Interesting re battery pairing. I have 3 504 Wh Shimano batteries now, but all from the current E8000 generation.
It might be fine with Shimano standard batteries, but I have the custom YT battery, which one assumes as well as a higher watt-hour rating has slightly different other electrical characteristics, I expect that’s what needs to get changed.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
TBH what I would really like is actually a smaller battery. I very, very rarely use my whole charge before either I am thrashed or I run out of available ride time. I recon a 400w/h would be perfect for me (on most rides), and I’d totally take those weight savings.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Re the dash thing, actually I think you can use any of those on any model, you can just switch them out. I have the 7000 on my E8000 because YT thought (and I agree) that the monochrome display is less distracting than the colour 8000 display. I am 99% sure I have seen people on forums who have switched it out to the 8000 display though.

Edit: it is conceivable this is different for the EP8 as it is a ‘different generation’. Hmmm…

Edit 2: Yes the EP8 has a different connection on its wires, so you need to be either the world’s greatest soldering boss, or new mode switch, new display, new magnet sensor. And, as above, probably a visit to a serious Shimano service center.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley's newly tuned fork is going over well with her already. Her playing around the neighborhood has already gotten more aggressive - faster onto/off of things, pushing corners with bumps harder, and generally just charging harder. She's clearly more comfortable and confident in her bike. I can't wait to get her onto dirt next weekend.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Actually rode an E-bike yesterday. Riding buddy brought an e-biking friend (he has muscular dystrophy so has a reason other than being lazy)

Took a quick spin on a short trail. When asked if I was a convert gave a hard nope. I did recommend he upgrade to some burlier tires more appropriate for the terrain we were riding.
What bike was it?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Wait

They willingly let a black man not named Tiger or OJ into Thousand Oaks?
Hey now, Jamie Foxx lives here too, saw him at Lowe’s a couple weeks back, and Kobe owned a gym here, but haven’t seen Kobe around much lately…

Actually the sad part about TO is that when the Rams moved their training camp here you could tell. It’s a mostly great place to live, but the fact that a single football teams coaching staff can make a noticeable difference in the ethnic diversity of a whole city this size is a bit of an issue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What bike was it?
A Specialized Levo SL Comp I believe . The step cast Fox 34 and weenie tires seemed like a joke for such a porky bike. A few pounds for a stiffer fork and proper tires wouldn't even be noticed. He would probably benefit from an angleset too. Can't give him shit for the purchase, he is a noob and in pandemic times he got what was available. Will probably offer to lend him a front wheel shod with a 2.5" maxxgrip DHF if I ride with him again.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
jstuhlman said:
It honestly doesn't fucking matter. E-bikes fucking suck and should only be used if you have debilitating physical issues. "But I can get two whole more laps/kilometers from my ride" = you should be fucking binned
F8CD70E9-9AC7-421F-9AC1-F07E63A41474.jpeg