Quantcast

Firearm and ammo shortage.

Walked into a gun store in pasadena and all the shelves and cases were empty besides a few revolvers and hunting shotguns. No auto loading, semi auto anything. Clerk said it has been like this since Oct, before the election and B Obama is the greatest firearm salesman in the history of our country.

Did some online searches for ammo and every thing is back ordered or sold out.
Is it the economy? Can people be that scared of the new president? Did anyone here purchase a firearm that otherwise didn't think about self protection?

If you don't want people to drive cars don't sell them gas. If you don't want people to have guns don't sell them ammo.
I have plenty of ammo stocked and lots of brass for reloading but even primers are hard to come by.
What's it like your side of town?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the Assault Weapon Ban is going to be reinstated, but I doubt Obama would back a political loser like trying to increasing handgun control.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i contemplated the idea of selling one of my AR's and word got around the office. I paid $600 for it 3 years ago and I had coworkers offering me $1400 for it 'cause they're impossible to find since the election.

i know that my agency has had to resort to cheaper training ammo just to have something to shoot as our usual supplier is currently out of stock.
between the wars and domestic demand, ammo is in short supply.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Obama is reducing arms production so we can't use our guns. All ammo is actually made in the basement of the whitehouse.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
i contemplated the idea of selling one of my AR's and word got around the office. I paid $600 for it 3 years ago and I had coworkers offering me $1400 for it 'cause they're impossible to find since the election.

i know that my agency has had to resort to less cheaper training ammo just to have something to shoot as our usual supplier is currently out of stock.
between the wars and domestic demand, ammo is in short supply.
You paid $600 for an AR? Nice. I was thinking about getting a Mini-14, but an AR would be nicer (of course) but the price difference now is crazy.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
You paid $600 for an AR? Nice. I was thinking about getting a Mini-14, but an AR would be nicer (of course) but the price difference now is crazy.
yeah, and the funny thing is that it was post ban so it doesn't have a flash hider or bayonet lug...and i was still getting ridiculous offers on it.

it's stupid how the AR becomes an assault rifle if you put a flash hider or bayonet stud on it :rolleyes: i haven't heard of any bayonet death stats and you can buy aftermarket flash hiders/suppressors. yay for ineffective policies!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
It's a California thing. Was in "The Gun Store" and "Machine Gun Kelly's" in vegas not too long ago and those two places were stocked to the ceiling with all the goodies I could ever want.

I'm glad I have the weapons I have now and that I reload for every one of them except the .22's.

Although, the way things are going.. I may need to get myself a big bore black powder gun.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Planning on going back for another beef bowl soon or something?
Only if I get to kill a cow from 200yards and have them slaughter and prep it for me.

I've decided not to go to that specific place for a couple of months... just in case one of the cooks is a buddy of those guys. I like my food regular and "unhookedup" if you know what I mean. :thumb:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Plenty of ARs around here (Columbia, MO). I was just at a local store looking for a skeet gun for my wife and there were six AR-15s on the shelf. Prices seemed high, but they were there.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Local walmart was down to a few boxes of this and that, mostly cleaned out.

I think it's just a feeding frenzy at this point.

Even I bought some 30-06 I vaguely needed.

I actually just got an email from the ATF about applying for an importers license. Might try to start bringing in AK parts kits from Eastern Europe. Cut the receiver with a torch and they waltz right through customs.

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Our WalMarts are pretty much empty of ammo in upstate NY.
I've never seen the gun stores so busy. I haven't seen a semi auto rifle anywhere. Even the Saiga's went up $100 and are all gone. I used to walk in, be the only customer, get some reloading stuff, BS a little and go on my way.
Now I go in and pick thru what's left of the reloading stuff and I am lucky if I find something I want. They'll tell me they can order stuff, but they can't promise anything.

Crazy, crazy times boys. They use to say that .223/5.56 and .308 will never run out since the armies of the world use this ammo, try to find some surplus of these calibers now. I have about 2000 cases of lake city brass but I don't feel like swaging primer pockets to reload them. I don't even have a swaging tool!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Crazy, crazy times boys. They use to say that .223/5.56 and .308 will never run out since the armies of the world use this ammo, try to find some surplus of these calibers now. I have about 2000 cases of lake city brass but I don't feel like swaging primer pockets to reload them. I don't even have a swaging tool!

How much you want for the brass?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Our WalMarts are pretty much empty of ammo in upstate NY.
I've never seen the gun stores so busy. I haven't seen a semi auto rifle anywhere. Even the Saiga's went up $100 and are all gone. I used to walk in, be the only customer, get some reloading stuff, BS a little and go on my way.
Now I go in and pick thru what's left of the reloading stuff and I am lucky if I find something I want. They'll tell me they can order stuff, but they can't promise anything.
Binghamton?