Quantcast

Firefox 0.9.2 & Ridemonkey...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, yeah, I'm behind the times, but I've been working a lot - give me a break here. I just noticed that a newer version of Firefox - version 0.9.2 - was released.

Click!

Interestingly (and the point of this thread), it renders the Ridemonkey pages significantly faster (probably twice as fast) for me. For those of you using 0.8, give this newest version a shot.

For those who don't know what Firefox is, it's a web browser - go download it and check it out. Tabbed browsing and built in popup stoppers. You'll never go back to IE.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah RM works so much better with Firefox that I was considering putting a link to it in the header.

Everyone should save themselves a big headache and get rid of Internet Exploder ASAP!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ridemonkey said:
Yeah RM works so much better with Firefox that I was considering putting a link to it in the header.

Everyone should save themselves a big headache and get rid of Internet Exploder ASAP!
Actually, I meant it renders pages twice as fast as 0.8 did (for me).

But yeah, die, IE, die!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ridemonkey said:

That is a great idea.

The first thing I do with any family/friends that use me for tech support is make sure that they can't get to Internet Explorer and that they have Firefox as a browser. They don't know the difference, and it saves me SO MUCH TIME because I'm not back every week cleaning crap off.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
it is unquestionably the best browser ever. I love the extensability of it. You should see the plugin some guys on another forum (somethingawful) made to go with it. Highlights, posts, threads, all sorts of shiite. Incredible.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
You all need to d/l BBCode, it is a sweet contextual menu for PHPBB style boards. Allows you to just about everything in the Quick Reply with just a right-click.

:thumb:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
DHracer1067 said:
how do you make it work. i installed it and i cant like change any of the options. if i click it nothing opens. do i need to install it again or something to fix it?
Just right click in a text box and it should be first on the list.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
berkshire_rider said:
I'm still using 0.9.1, not sure if it's worth reloading extensions and themes for 0.9.2 :blah:
I believe the only change for 0.9.2 was a bugfix that is available from a link off the Firefox website.. It's a loadable extension.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Noticed this on their site:

Run Firefox from removable media

This advanced tip makes it possible to run Firefox from removable media, such as a USB memory stick. This will allow you to run Firefox with your personal settings from any computer, even those that don't have Firefox installed. It has only been tested on Windows XP/2000. The basic instructions are as follows:

1. Copy the Firefox application folder and your profile folder to the removable media. In this example we will use R:\Firefox for the application folder and R:\FFProfile as the profile folder, assuming the drive letter for the removable media is R:.
2. Create a simple batch file called R:\Firefox.bat with the following line:

start \Firefox\firefox.exe -profile \FFProfile

3. Optionally, disable the disk cache to reduce the amounts of file writes to the removable storage by entering about:config in the address field of Firefox and set browser.cache.disk.enable to false.

The reason why a batch file is needed instead of a simple shortcut is that a shortcut uses absolute paths, and since the actual drive letter for the removable media may change depending on which computer it is plugged into, the relative path used in the batch file is guaranteed to work anywhere.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
berkshire_rider said:
Run Firefox from removable media
Yeah, there's actually a company that makes a 128mb USB memory stick with a specially developed version of Firefox.. I think it's call Stealth Browser or something. Anyway, it keeps all files contained on the memory stick and leaves nothing resident on the computer when you're done. Kinda cool.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Ok, installed it. JAB to me. Just another browser. I'll use it and see what happens. Question - I know it's a file type association, but I don't know which one. I use outlook express for mail (hate all the extra garbage with outlook) and I'm wondering what I have to do to click on monkey email replies to have it bring up mozilla instead of IE. Anybody?

Knuckle

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuckleslammer said:
Yeah yeah yeah, now answer my question, please.

KNuckle

If I understand your question, you're clicking on hyperlinks within emails and its launching IE, and you want it to launch Firefox?

When you boot up Firefox it should ask if you want it to be your default browser. Just select "Yes". I think it's in the options somewhere if you said no and told it not to ask again.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Firefox definitely kicks ass!! Something a friend of mine pointed me to is mouse gestures. It's a plugin that allows you to browse by doing movements of the mouse. It's weird at first, but after a while they get to be second nature. Kinda handy for minimizing / switching tabs when the boss comes around and you are on RM. ;)

Linky Linky

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I installed and ran Firefox head to head with OPERA this morning. Opera edged out Firefox on loading RM but only just barely, and I imagine that it would vary from system to system. They seemed to be on par with each other in general in terms of speed. Both are really fast.

Firefox and Opera have their bookmarks laid out the same, the old Netscape 4 style, which , IMO, is the best bookmark layout ever. However, Opera gives you the ability to import bookmarks/faves from IE, or netscape and others, Firefox appears to not play well with other bookmark file formats.

Mouse gestures are sweet. Opera includes them built in... no plug ins required.

I like Firefoxes toolbar layout way better then OPERA. Smaller and simpler. Verrry nice. Operas FULL SCREEN option is still the best. No toolbars or scroll bars at all. (You don't ned a toolbar when you are using mouse gestures). Nothin like prOn in full screen, on a 21 inch monitor. Woah momma!

Firefox does seem to have one really big thing going for it that Opera does not... it's free. Opera does have a free version, but it has a banner ad in one corner. I use the full version so it's not issue for me but if I was looking for a new browser I would be going with the free one.

Overall I would say that I agree with you all, Firefox is a kick ass browser. Would I switch from Opera? nope. If I was using I.E. would I go to firefox? Absolutely(I.E. Sux A$$!). Would I go to Opera if I had been using Firefox already? Probably not. They seem to be about equal. Pretty nice F'n browser. But Opera has one thing that Firefox does not... The BORK Edition!
http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2003/02/14/index.dml

Ciaran

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
However, Opera gives you the ability to import bookmarks/faves from IE, or netscape and others, Firefox appears to not play well with other bookmark file formats.
Actually, 0.9.2 played very nicely with my IE bookmarks.. First time I booted it, it gave me the option to import favorites from IE, I clicked yes, and they were all imported.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Ever since Safari came out I stopped using IE. Testing this Firefox right now. Not bad. Haven't noticed it's any faster yet though.

Faster than IE, but what isn't?