Quantcast

Firestone Trail Work Days

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
DH'ers,

Last year the shuttle was $5, it didn't pay for the gas or the rental of the truck (This year I think we need 2 trucks, not sure yet).

The $30 price was an error by the webmaster, we did discuss different prices, it's only $20 for Shuttle rides starting at 7 AM and stoping at 5, that's 9 hours of shuttles. Sounds like a deal to me.

This is an expensive event to promote, and I'm just a washed up bike racer myself trying to something good for the sport, but I can't pay out of my own pocket to give you guys a chance to race at a great venue like this. I hope you understand that I need to cover the overhead.

Have a good day! :)

Hecky

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Well, if we get a "few" like at least 3 DH riders who want to start on the DH course then yep you guys can start that trail's rehab. But if we only get 5 or 6 people like last week then we'll need to try to push through with the new XC course. Nils and I have worked on the rototilling of another section of that new course so that needs to be scraped off and then we have to tackle the steepest section of trail, and this will require some support structure like staking telephone poles into the ground and backfilling these with dirt. Then that trail will be done.

See you all tomorrow, and remember to bring your tools, water, food, and bikes! :oink:

Thanks,

Mike

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
The 2nd official day of trail work and we completed the new 1.3 mile XC trail from the top of the DH course, and it is rad to say the least!

We all did a lap of the XC course as well and I'm happy to report that it is in better shape than ever. We even took mtnbrider with us and he dug it! :)

Our next date is next Saturday the 4th. Let's see if we can get some guys from Santa Barbara up there. Bring your bikes and after we dig for a few hours we'll ride!

No trail work on Super Bowl Sunday, I need to see my Steelers kick the tar out of Seattle!

Thanks to Gambo, mtnbrider, Jacob, Elijah, Nils, Niel, Drew and Timtanium!

Hecky :nopity:

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
So after getting a pm that basicaly questioned my motivation in organizing Firestone ... you know the type of note that said I was more concerned with making money than doing a first rate event (i set him straight that ther eis more to it than that) I have revisited the shuttle pricing. Now the Chamberlin Ranch DH Friday Shuttle is ONLY $10. HOPEFULLY this will cover the cost of 2 U-Hauls and gas. This is done, I will not lower it any further. Please don't ask me, or call me greedy, or accuse me of doing this event to get rich. I ONLY DO THIS TO BE OF SERVICE TO MY SPORT! :mad:

Now onto the positive stuff! We will again be doing a Trail Day this Sunday 2/19 meeting at the top of the DH course at 8 AM, working until 11:30-12/Noon, then riding the course. We'd like to start on the DH so it would be great if you DH'rs could be there. Please bring your own tools, water, food, etc., etc.

Thanks,

Mike :drool:

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
probley a stupid question, but what kind of trail tools should i bring? and heres the other, is a full face helmet required for the DH practice/race?

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Sorry monkeys but with the amount of rain we are getting today and tomorrow, and early Sunday, we are canceling this weekends trail work day this Sunday.

The next trail work day is Sunday the 5th of March. The 26th won't work because I will be busy working at the Tour of California that weekend.

Spread the word please.

MH :clue:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Last Sunday and probably next sunday. I'll be at Fontana.
Instead of the stepdown to the finish, we built a big berm going left, then the new section goes across the hillside making it longer. There will be some jumps and stuff there.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Bicyclist said:
Is Sunday, March 12 a go for trail work?
Ok, everyone yes even with the rain the course work at the Chamberlin Cattle Ranch portion of the Firestone Walker Classic is on for tomorrow, Sunday the 12th. I just looked at www.weather.com and while it could rain tomorrow morning it should be light. We will focus on XC course, driving onto the ranch in my 4x4 truck, we will go from one section to another. (If we get a lot of DH riders You guys can build on the DH course of course.)

Please leave the bikes at home this weekend, as while the conditions will be good for knocking down rough spots on the course the soil conditions are very poor for riding this weekend.

We have less than 7 weeks until the race, we need to work when ever possible. We have accomplished quite a bit in the past 2 months, but there is much more to do. So please join me and the other diehards that will be there, bring your rain gear, a flat head shovel, some food, perhaps something hot, a change of warm clothes for the ride home. Bring the camera as well!

We’ll meet at the top of the DH Trail off Foxen Canyon Road at 8 AM and probably only work for 3-4 hours.

We will be up there next Sunday as well and the Sunday after that, etc., etc!

Enjoy the ride,

Mike Hecker – Owner & Event Director
SG Production / www.ridesb.com
Organizer of fine cycling events on the Central Coast since 1998

PS: If you have not signed the online petition to build a Velodrome here in the SB area get with it and click here http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?CCVM1. As of today there are 1293 signatures and we’ve pledged over $40,000 towards this goal, we need $400,000, we’re more than 10% there!

monke880

Chimp
Dec 11, 2005
Ojai, SoCal
OK, so would it be cool if me and 2 others from Ojai came up and focused on the DH course? One of my friends that's coming up has helped out for the past two years so he knows what he's doing.

Also, should we bring shovels/mclouds?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Just saw above we should bring shovels. That's cool, we've got equipment.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
monke880 said:
OK, so would it be cool if me and 2 others from Ojai came up and focused on the DH course? One of my friends that's coming up has helped out for the past two years so he knows what he's doing.

Also, should we bring shovels/mclouds?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Just saw above we should bring shovels. That's cool, we've got equipment.
Sure come out and work the DH with your buds, just don't build anything that is too steep. Bring the tools, but it's too wet to ride so please leave the bikes at home.

Thanks,

MH

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Gambo said:
Here are some pics of the new XC down hill.

Just a small suggestion. The 4th pcture shows a pretty big bench cut. You might want to cut the upper part of the bench back a little at an angle to help the trail sustain itself. If not the sharp edge will eventually fall onto the trail.

Otherwise it looks pretty nice.

Here are some pics from the trails we are building for our local XC races.

mtnbikej

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
mtnbikej said:
Just a small suggestion. The 4th pcture shows a pretty big bench cut. You might want to cut the upper part of the bench back a little at an angle to help the trail sustain itself. If not the sharp edge will eventually fall onto the trail.
Hrm, your cut looks more vertical than the ones at Firestone that we built today.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Thanks to the three kids, Mark and his pals, that drove up from Ojai to wrk with me in the rain. We continued the new addition to the DH and started a nice table ... it started to rain pretty well around 1o or so, we worked till 11:30 and called it a day. :hot:

We will be up there next weekend, so all you SB guys who say your going to make it, I realy hope to see you there soon, or your input opportunities will be waisted. :help:

We miss you,

Hecky :clue:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
So the 19th, the 26th, and so on (sundays) until the race you guys are doing this stuff right?

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Hi everyone, YES we will be doing trail repair/work at the race course this Sunday.

Same bat time, and same bat channel ... 8 AM at the top of the DH off Foxen Canyon Road jusxt north of Los Olivos. Wotk from 8-11:30 and then ride from 12-2 PM.

Hope that you all can make it.

Hecktone :clue:

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
So we'll be up there at the race course yet again tomorrow, Sunday the 2nd of April digging on the DH and XC courses.

So you Monkies in the 805 please come out and help if you can, we need you.

8 AM at the top of the DH course, on Foxen Canyon Road north of Hwy 154 and Los Olivos.

For event info visit www.ridesb.com/firestone.htm

See you there!

Thanks,

Hecky :redhot: