Quantcast

Firestone Walker Race

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
All right folks the time is upon us. Next week is the race, if you haven't registered you should;)

We spent a little time today pimping it out that extra little bit.
L'il Dave shows his mad skills here:D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Local guy Mitch getting his game face on.

We will have a sweet start house for Team Big Bear to set up in (they are doing all the timing for the race)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
This little hit is shortly after the start. Its really fun, but nuthin huge

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Those pictures came out good today, not to mention that my my mad riding skills had something to do with that. The race is going to be awesome, the course is lookin' sweet!

D

Dingus McGee

I didn't read the whole thread, but a huge SHOUT OUT to Zark and everyone involved in getting this DH race going! I really hope it works out...I can't make it this year, but definately next year!!!
Odd coincidence, my dad painted the big mural in the winery lobby (?) it's a Diego Rivera style piece he did in the '30s up here in S.F. I've never seen it in person and have been meaning to check it out -the DH race would be a perfect excuse!!! Hope it goes well so I can race next year!!!!!!! Grassroots racing is where its at!

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
cant wait to race next weekend. it'd be cool to meet a lot of you guys. thanks for putting in the work to get this thing going for the rest of us. we all appreciate it even though we might not say it.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I forgot to say hello a few weeks ago Beaverbiker, but I was with you guys when you came down and rode here. I showed up while you guys were at Granny's right after Chris hurt himself(I have a black Orange Patriot) The race will be fun though, its real fast.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
anyone tell me how far the race is from UCSB, im going to be down there starting fri afternoon/night til sun night. If someone is down to give me and my HT a ride id love to go
Charlie

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
Oh yeah Noah, I almost forgot... we're in the same category for the race:D.
19-29 huh? its on Dave!

Care to make it interesting?:devil:
A 40oz of the finest malt liquor to the best time?:D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
I'm down. You might just want to buy it for me now though, then you wont have to go search around after the race to find me one:D.
You'd get carded anyway, don't worry you can just pay me back:devil:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

How to they format the race? Is it like BMX where age group/novice/intermediate/expert race against eachother? If it's like 19-28 of all ages and skill level that might not be so good :(

How do they do this in the MTB world?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You race the clock dude, its not mountaincross ;)
Beginner,Sport, Expert, Semi Pro/Pro
and age groups

So I'm in 19-29 Sport for example.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
So since it'd be my first time racing I'd race beginer 19-29?

I'm not use to any form of MTB racing formats. BMX I am, MTB I am not.

Just wanting to make sure I got all this right.

Short travel rigs work well? Is the M1 too much for the DH course?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Spunger
So since it'd be my first time racing I'd race beginer 19-29?

I'm not use to any form of MTB racing formats. BMX I am, MTB I am not.

Just wanting to make sure I got all this right.

Short travel rigs work well? Is the M1 too much for the DH course?
Since its your first time racing take the M1. Your Cortina might be faster, but you'd have no margin for error. Its not worth the risk,

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by beaverbiker
we should have a super good pro class. definitely some good comp.
No kidding?! Sweet! I can't wait to see what the times are like!

You practicing tomorrow?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
is it a course that takes a lot of practice? im might try and get out there. i get out of class at 2pm i think. is there anyway they might run the shuttle a little longer than 5pm?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
You wont need that much practice, but there are some sketchy corners and one larger jump that takes a bit to get used to. Its really fast, pro times are going to be real fast.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Thanks everyone who came out, the race turned out really good (besides Noah screwing up in his second run) I was less than 2 seconds out of a podium. Next year I'm going to take it.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Originally posted by DFoxracing
are they posting results online?
Today is Monday, I personally handed over the results disk to my website guy last night on my way home and the results should be up a bit later today for all the races. You can also check the Team Big Bear site as well.

Thanks goes out to all the people who made the Downhill a raging success. Getting 118 racers for a first year DH, the day before a Fontana race, is huge. Everyone liked the course, and that is a bonus as well!

Overall the event nearly doubled in attendance. We had 675 starters in the XC and our total number of starts for all three events (DH, XC, and STX) was 793!

Thanks to Noah and Dave, as well as everyone else out there that did what they could to help make the Firestone Walker MTB Weekend a huge event!

Look for an even better race next year, and tell your friends!

Mike Hecker - Event Director

:)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Thanks to everyone who attended and had a good time. I want to say how great it is to see Mountain bike racing alive and well in Santa Barbara. I hope next year is even bigger.

I would like to mention one thing to everyone: Please do not ride the DH course, it is on private property and and everyone needs to respect that. If people do respect that our chances of having more races and events there improve.

I want to thank Mike Hecker for making this event happen. Without his efforts this would have never happened. Thanks Mike:thumb:
And more thanks to all the hard working folk who built, staffed and sponsered this event.

Noah

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yeah, thanks a bunch Mike for making everything happen for the weekend. I had a great time, and everyone seemed to be pretty psyched about the course.

Mar 16, 2004
Santa Maria
I also would like to thank Mike for all of his hard work and especially for putting on a local dh event. Also Thanks to Noah for manning the course building days. I had a whole lot of fun inspite of derailleur hanger issues in the rock garden.