Quantcast

first a camelback, then lycra, now a roadie???

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What's this world coming to?

Pics of my new roadie - an 05 Jamis Quest. Size 55, Reynolds 631 frame, easton ec70 carbon fork, easton/velomax vista wheels, 105 levers/derailleurs, truvativ elita cranks, easton bar/stem/post, fizik pave saddle. After about 10 minutes and 1 mechanical, so far I'm really liking it.

yes, it's a triple, yes they are mountain pedals - deal with it.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Nice bike. I definetly wish i had the money to get a road bike i'd rather ride road then run to get/stay in shape.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I Are Baboon said:
Everyone has a nicer road bike than me....
Er, yeah, my old C-dale with the threaded headset and 600 components isn't winning any prizes...

That Jamis is sweet. Except the triple... :p

MD

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Triple? I'm so disappointed.

Looks like you could rotate your handlebars a bit up for a little more comfort. Just a thought. If if little Jackson starts complaining, nose down a tad.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
Looks like you could rotate your handlebars a bit up for a little more comfort. Just a thought. If if little Jackson starts complaining, nose down a tad.
yep... haven't had any real time in the saddle yet, so I'm sure there will be lots of little tweaking to come.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Nice bike.

jacksonpt said:
Yep, but I'm hoping to pick up a set of cheap used road pedals at some point... that way I'm not always switching cleats/pedals.
Be careful. With such a small cleat you can put a hurting on yourself. Mountain bike shoes have the sole to help keep your feet from rocking sideways, but the roadies won't. Some of the early Shimano road pedals used spd and it didn't agree with quite a few people.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Wumpus said:
Be careful. With such a small cleat you can put a hurting on yourself. Mountain bike shoes have the sole to help keep your feet from rocking sideways, but the roadies won't. Some of the early Shimano road pedals used spd and it didn't agree with quite a few people.
yea, it's just a temporary thing until I can get my hands on some road pedals.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice bike Jackson. I rock the triple, MTB pedals, MTB shoes, MTB gloves and helmet on the road. Really hair legs too.

I would like to invite anyone who bags triples for one of my regular rides and see what they think then.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Don't listen to them...who the hell cares, I rode a triple for like 3 years before I upgraded to a double. Does that make me a wuss or something? I'd venture to think not.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wumpus said:
:eek:

it's amazing the things one learns at random!

That probably explains, in part, why my knee hurt a lot more when on SPD, but not as much on SPD-SL.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
mobius said:
<Snip> I definetly wish i had the money to get a road bike i'd rather ride road then run to get/stay in shape.
Yeah, I'm sure you would, then you would atleast have an excuse to shave your legs and wear spandex. :rolleyes:

splat

Nam I am
Wumpus said:

I have used Look Pedals on my Road Bike for years. I wanted to use my road bike one day at the office and all I had were my Mt bike shoes so I swaped the pedal to have SPD on my road bike and I could not believe how much I could feel such a small contact point. to the point by the end of the ride it was beggining to hurt.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Heidi said:
Don't listen to them...who the hell cares, I rode a triple for like 3 years before I upgraded to a double. Does that make me a wuss or something? I'd venture to think not.
believe me... I'm not even remotely worried about it. If I went with a double right now, I'd spend more time walking my bike than I would riding it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
took the bike out for a quick spin around campus. Only about 20 minutes, but damn this thing is fast. Can't wait to get more saddle time, and with the crappy weather forecast for the week, looks like the pavement and I will become pretty good friends.

J

JRB

Looks nice, Jackson. I particularly like those sassy ass shiny rings. :thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Westy said:
Nice bike Jackson. I rock the triple, MTB pedals, MTB shoes, MTB gloves and helmet on the road. Really hair legs too.
Can you explain to me the difference between mtb gloves and road gloves?

Hairy legs are fine but triples are still for weiners. :monkey:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Serial Midget said:
Hairy legs are fine but triples are still for weiners. :monkey:
BRING IT!

Mtb gloves are gloves you mountain bike in.

Road gloves are gloves you road ride in.

:)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Heidi said:
No but when it came time to upgrade your bike did you even consider a triple? Narrow range cassettes and double rings simply shift better and run smoother.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been thinking of getting a shop deal on that same bike. I get to ride a lot of different road bikes were I work. Some really nice bikes. I was surprised when I built a quest and test rode it. It doesn't feel like a bike at that price point. Make sure you get those wheels tensioned after a few rides. I would drop the triple and just run a 12/26 rear cassette. The saddle was kind of funny but you might get used to it.....jdcamb

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I used to want a quest bad we had a few at the shop i worked at a year ago and i liked them. I was real close to buying one but the heckler took my money.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I love the look of thin-sleek steel.
Have a 853 Roadie myself.
Its fun 'goin fast.

jacksonpt said:
... looks like the pavement and I will become pretty good friends...
Hopefully not too fast, one year on the Road Bike myself so far & not one fall yet...

Serial Midget said:
... triples are still for weiners.
It's a guy thing.

Heidi said:
... upgraded to a double...
Upgrade? :think:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Serial Midget said:
No but when it came time to upgrade your bike did you even consider a triple? Narrow range cassettes and double rings simply shift better and run smoother.
If that was part of the standard Dura Ace package I would have gotten it, but Titus built it with the double so I took it! :)