Quantcast

First BMX

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
I'm looking into getting a BMX bike soon. I've found a good deal on either an Iron Horse FS 970 or Lunar. I'll be using it mostly for dirt jumpin and playing around on. Are either of these bikes worth getting? I can get either for around $200. Can any of you BMXer give me some help here?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'd get the 970. Part spec looks a bit better. IF you were going to really be beatin that crap out of it, you might want to check some others out, but for jumping and general bmx riding, either would be a killer ride. For the price you can't beat them, and the 970 seems to have a longer tt.

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
Thanks for the feedback!! I was starting to think I wouldn't get any feedback on this forum. Do I know you? Been around Eaton or CDCC functions?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sounds like you got a couple decent choices there.

In the long run if you decide you like it, you will probably want to set yourself up with a full cr-mo frame/fork and sealed hubs/bb.

Enjoy!

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I go to Eden all the time, in fact I'm about to go out there right now. I used to ride a Black .243 hardtail, and now I have a DMR Rhythm. I'm glad I could help, oh yeah, and I work at the Full Cycle in Boulder.

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
It's a bit windy right now. Do you ride up at the CU research center? A friend and I are going to build it up some more. Do you know who owns the land?

I've seen pics of your DMR, looks sweet! I'm on a black turner DHR. Soon to be seen on a 970 though I think! :D

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Is it real windy out there? I might just have to wait till tomorrow. I'm gonna take some more pics of the bike built, it is awesome. If you go out to Eden a lot, check into a hardtail. Those jumps can be kinda sckech on a 20inch. Nice choice though, you really can learn to jump any bike, I'm just a bit more comfortable on a hardtail(not that it means I don't suck anyway)

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
Yah, I wouldn't recommend trying it today unless it calms down later on. I brought the bike in hoping to get out at lunch. I work in the building on the other side of the school, so Edens "pretty" close. It's too windy for me though.

Do you know who's building the new big line?

I just started jumping last fall. I've been really working the small five pack on the west side. I can get the whole line two out of three times now. I guess it's time to start working the middle line.:cool:

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I tried going out there anyways, I just wanted to ride my new bike. It really sucked, it was way to windy. I haven't been trying the middle line at all. I saw some BMXers building on that line yesterday, so I'm assuming they're trhe ones who started it. It's not looking too bad.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yeah, Eden is Gunbarrel. I was just out there. there are still a few wet spots, but nothing major. I'm a big sissy, I can't get myself to try any of the bigger ones.

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
Technically Eaton is in Boulder, I think. It might as well be gunbarrel though. It's at the very end of Nautilus Dr, behind the the school.

I know what you mean about the "bigger" lines. I've been eyballing them for awhile now!

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
i'm just now starting to hit the bigger one's. i can get the first jump on the line next to the huge ones. when are you guys going out there next?