Quantcast

first car...woohoo!!!

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
mindlessfr said:
im 16, and ive always had a thing for jeeps
So what you're saying is, You've got a Jeep Thing? If so, I sympathize. If you're getting it for looks, get something fast that looks better. If you're getting it to wheel, get a Toyota or Land Rover

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Man I'm on my first car still, 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra...now that is a proper first car. Having a really old car with no perks and several quirks will make you appreciate it when you get one that is nice.

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
the reason im not getting a toyota or a land rover (which i would love to have) is because im not spoiled i actually have a job and ive been saving for a long while

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Congrats on the first rig!

My first car was bad ass! 1972 Grand Prix, got 6 mpg (also had 390 bhp) and cost a whoppin' $1300. I worked all summer at a pizza joint to pay for it. Then my folks sold it as soon as I left for boot camp because they were sick of it leaking oil on the driveway. :thumb:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My first car was a 1985 Mercedes 190e 2.3, in beige no less. Set me back a cool $1200, rallyed the crap out of it untill it finally crapped out with 432,987 miles on the clock.

Then I got a 1963 T-bird, it got a frugal 4mpg on a good day going downhill with a tail-wind, but damn it was cool and fast.

Currently I have a '98 Disco, but there were a smattering of other cars in between there. The Disco just kind of stuck with me, and as a bonus it's damn reliable.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
My grandparents sold my first car to the family for $1.00. 1988 Pontiac 6000se, big American car with a tiny 4 cyclinder engine. POS. The best little road trips ever were with 5 or 6 BMX bikes on the roof, between 4 and 7 people inside, going down to Monterey to ride the skatepark. The car still got like 15mph with all that weight, too. It survived numerous wrecks and crack ups. 0-60 in about 18 seconds, unloaded and with heater on high.

All the goodness ended when the catalytic converter got smashed on a shuttle run, and put a ton of back pressure on the motor. Something about the wrecked exterior, torn up interior, and pure ugliness just didn't seem worth it for a new motor. I still wish we put a V8 in that thing though....

Congrats on the new car!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice, like how you guys have pre-judged someone based on the fact that they're getting a new car.

Some people have money. It doesn't mean they're completely spoiled. No need to go all sour grapes just because nobody bought you a new car :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new Jeep :thumb:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
My little sister picked one of those up last year and the old man had one when I was in high school. We've had issues w/ stone chips on the windshield, my sister has gone through 3 full replacements already. They are fun little things and are super easy to park on tight streets. You could do much, much worse for a first car.......

...........like an 86 Dodge Aries. It was a turd that I had to bungee cord the rear doors together and it had a leaf blower for a motor. But it got me around and did okay for a small car in the snow.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
binary visions said:
Nice, like how you guys have pre-judged someone based on the fact that they're getting a new car.

Some people have money. It doesn't mean they're completely spoiled. No need to go all sour grapes just because nobody bought you a new car :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new Jeep :thumb:

Regardless of how much money the parents have, a 16 year-old shouldn't get a new car. Call it character building, or a rite of passage..or whatever. Otherwise you end up like BrianHCM.

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
MMike said:
Regardless of how much money the parents have, a 16 year-old shouldn't get a new car. Call it character building, or a rite of passage..or whatever. Otherwise you end up like BrianHCM.
its not like i just turned 16 and im getting it for my birthday or anything infact im almost 17 and ive been working for the last 3 years so i think i deserve a new car and ill call all the work ive done character building:mumble:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
mindlessfr said:
its not like i just turned 16 and im getting it for my birthday or anything infact im almost 17 and ive been working for the last 3 years so i think i deserve a new car and ill call all the work ive done character building:mumble:

Oh well....almost 17...that makes all the difference. my apologies.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMike said:
Your thoughts on the "rite of passage" or whatever don't apply to the fact that a few people (and maybe you as well) decided he was a spoiled brat for getting one.

Talk to his parents if you don't like it.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
sirknight6 said:
Jealousy can be a very negative thing..... :p
Heh....CLEARLY. We all know MMike would have turned DOWN the opportunity to get a brand new car when he was 17, you know, because he'd have felt the need to drive a sh*tbox for the sake of character building. :)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I Are Baboon said:
Heh....CLEARLY. We all know MMike would have turned DOWN the opportunity to get a brand new car when he was 17, you know, because he'd have felt the need to drive a sh*tbox for the sake of character building. :)

And we can ALL see how it built his character...:rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
mindlessfr said:
You should get a cheap car and spend your money on trips to great places. :D

J/K - congrats on the Jeep.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMike said:
Hey nutlick!!!! I work for what I have:redhot:

J

JRB

Congrats on the jeep. Who cares how he got it??? Who cares if his parents buy him a jeep or a $7000 downhill bike??? How does that possibly affect any of your days??? How about you just get on board with being happy for people??? Who knows his circumstances, or how his parents feel about him??? Stop being assholes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
Congrats on the jeep. Who cares how he got it??? Who cares if his parents buy him a jeep or a $7000 downhill bike??? How does that possibly affect any of your days??? How about you just get on board with being happy for people??? Who knows his circumstances, or how his parents feel about him??? Stop being assholes.
Settle down, Beavis. :rolleyes:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Congratulations on your first car, and big props for working and saving your own money to purchase this Jeep. Several of my friends have owned Jeeps over the past several years, and they were a blast to take off-road. Enjoy…

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
That's kinda funny coming from you....

"SOmeone changed my avatar!! Call the national guard!!"
Loco is the eternal victim. I bet he got beat up by freckled red headed girls in 8th grade and had his mommy come into school to complain about it.

J

JRB

MMike said:
That's kinda funny coming from you....

"SOmeone changed my avatar!! Call the national guard!!"
Piss off. I knew the circumstances when it happened. What do you know about this kids life?? You don't need to try to sh*t on his parade. That is crap that stoney does. Grow up. :mumble:

J

JRB

Westy said:
Loco is the eternal victim. I bet he got beat up by freckled red headed girls in 8th grade and had his mommy come into school to complain about it.
I do my own complaining, bitch. :nuts: