Quantcast

First Contact with Granola Throwers..

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I have heard about the granola throwers- the ultra environmentalists who will do anything to save the environment including burning HUMMVs...

And I have heard the rules of the trail.... don't go off the single track..... which is understandable...

But THIS guy takes the cake and shoves it up the bride's butt-

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/

make sure you scroll down to where this individual compares mountain bikers to Locusts...... :confused:

Forgive me if this is not news to you all... I am a newbie and can't believe this crap.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
"Mountain Biking is a latter day method of raping nature." Ernie Crist

I've never been called a rapist before:think: Oh well, i guess theres a first for everything:D

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
www.safetrails.net

This asshat, Jim Childress, needs to go to a party with that asshat and drink some Jim Jones juicetogether an do us all a favor:devil:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Ahahahahahaha :p :p :p

If you want a good laugh. Click the Michael J. Vandeman P.h. D link at the top, and then read his list of "Passions".

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
"Laziness

Why ride a bike, when you can walk? Only because you can get to your destination a lot faster and with a lot less energy. In spite of their muscular, "hard-body" appearance, mountain bikers are lazy!

Bad Role Modelling

Mountain biking also provides very bad role modeling for our children. Whether or not a bike is ever ridden off-road, any child looking at one will get the impression that it is used to tear up wildlife habitat, and that this is okay."

it gets better the more i read it.
:D

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by Lexx D
"Laziness

Why ride a bike, when you can walk? Only because you can get to your destination a lot faster and with a lot less energy. In spite of their muscular, "hard-body" appearance, mountain bikers are lazy!

Bad Role Modelling

Mountain biking also provides very bad role modeling for our children. Whether or not a bike is ever ridden off-road, any child looking at one will get the impression that it is used to tear up wildlife habitat, and that this is okay."

it gets better the more i read it.
:D
I guess when you have a PhD, you can completely disregard the conservation of energy law.

This is great stuff :p

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
The scary thing is that people like this are active in writing letters and making it difficult to get trail access. He has a bunch of his letters on there and they are well written/researched and if you didn't know that he was an extremist you would believe them.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Fuk that, burn his house down:angry: I know it won't help the situation but it may make you feel better. :D

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
"Mountain Biking is a latter day method of raping nature." Ernie Crist

I've never been called a rapist before:think: Oh well, i guess theres a first for everything:D
Crist has apperently been trying to shut down the north shore...he's been taking serious heat in the papers and on NSMB...it's almost sad.

Zark, even Childress' friends think they are zealots. I ran into them last year on Jesusita, they said they had helped with the site. They also said that they had never had problems with bikers and even liked some of us. That lady and her husband(?) are nut balls.

The Ito

EDIT: Isn't there a mountain bike team called "Wheeled Locusts"? I think they need to sue for copyright infringement and defamation :p

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I am most worried about the people who are following him (I assume that there must be a few).

He said that he doesn't have kids, and has had a vasectomy...so I guess that is a good thing...

but I really do wonder how many people have fallen for his redundant ranting. I bet a few have caved just so they can stop hearing the same thing over and again.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
Aren't humans just another part of creation? With his logic we should be living in an uninhabitable part of the earth such as caves where we don't disturb any animals...oh wait I guess bats and cave spiders live there. Are we supposed to live on the moon so that the earth is a pristine planet that no one can enjoy?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
at the very bottom of the page:

"WARNING: It is probably impossible to understand my web page, if you own a car.
Or a mountain bike."

hahahaha:p

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by splat
Yup. And he still posts all the time in usenet in alt.montain-bike
That guy is like the perpetual troll. He never gets tired of saying the same exact thing all the time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by splat
Yup. And he still posts all the time in usenet in alt.montain-bike
he was the reason i stopped posting in a.m-b and the various rec.bicycles.* newsgroups.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Haha, in his letter to REI he had this to say:

I have been getting more and more disillusioned with REI over the years, and will shop there only if I have no other choice. I suggest that you seriously consider removing deeply treaded tires and hiking shoes from your stores. I have never noticed any disadvantage to the relatively smooth tires and soles I have used for the last 52 years.

So now hiking boots are causing too much erosion now too huh? :rolleyes: :mad:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Honeywell
Haha, in his letter to REI he had this to say:

I have been getting more and more disillusioned with REI over the years, and will shop there only if I have no other choice. I suggest that you seriously consider removing deeply treaded tires and hiking shoes from your stores. I have never noticed any disadvantage to the relatively smooth tires and soles I have used for the last 52 years.

So now hiking boots are causing too much erosion now too huh? :rolleyes: :mad:
Hippies, I hate Hippies. All they do is sit around in trees and smoke weed.
Hippies suck!!!!!!!! It's just that simple.
Yeah!!!!! Hippies and terrorists are the samething. - Brian

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
'They risk their image, their job, their relationships, their freedom, even their life, just to continue seeking the ultimate "high". Many subscribe to mountain biking mailing lists at work, risking losing their job."

He compares us to hard core drug addicts. That is some funny stuff.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Hippies, I hate Hippies. All they do is sit around in trees and smoke weed.
Hippies suck!!!!!!!! It's just that simple.
Yeah!!!!! Hippies and terrorists are the samething. - Brian
:think: This guy is far beyond hippie. I'd like to watch him for a day and see what he does that may be harmful to the enviroment. On second thought I'll keep my ditance.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I would love to see the house he lives in, the computer he writes on, the place he works (Berkley from what I understand, as a math teacher), and how he keeps his job.

Every single thing that he does in some way affects the environment.

Does he live in a house? Trees anyone?

Where does he think he gets the materials for his road bike from?

It all comes from somewhere.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:think: This guy is far beyond hippie. I'd like to watch him for a day and see what he does that may be harmful to the enviroment. On second thought I'll keep my ditance.
whether he's self consistent or not doesn't matter. he's a nut.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Toshi
he was the reason i stopped posting in a.m-b and the various rec.bicycles.* newsgroups.
Geez what chased me away from a.m-b was everyone else that posted there. You would be hard pressed to find a more closed minded bunch of flaming, elitist trolls anywhere else on the internet.

Vandeman was a pleasent distraction most of the time. :monkey:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by Jesus
Is it a surprise that he teaches at Berkley?

Hippie capitol of the world!!!!!
Not just hippies, but all around nut jobs. My brother went there for a semester and hated it. One of the primary reasons being all the nuts. He really wanted out after the second or third time the anarchists tried to burn down the McDonalds and he was assaulted.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Here's a little note I beamed off to that dangerously unstable furball Vandeman at mjvande@pacbell.net:

You, sir, are a complete nutball. The .00005% of the earth’s surface that is subject to mild and temporary disturbance by mountain bike tires is insignificant in comparison to the land ruined by the meat animal industry, all resource-based industries, golf courses, highways, housing for humans that are so stupid they breed like rabbits, garbage dumps, and industries that produce absolutely useless products. Don’t you think that a planet that has recovered quite nicely thank you from several ice ages, constant tectonic upheaval, migration of continental land masses, sea bottoms and land areas swapping places, a cataclysmic event that extinguished 90% of the life on earth, and a World War with a nuclear finale may have an outside chance of surviving the onslaught of the demonic mountain bike?

Get a grip, back away from your obsessive hang-ups, and maybe some people will begin to take you seriously. The more you whine and complain about issues that are patently absurd, the more you are used as an example of what is very wrong with enviro-Nazis.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good thought, jaydee, but the guy is dedicated to his "cause" if nothing else. :dead:

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Originally posted by Skookum
i think the guy raises some valid points....

Obviously the environment is a major concern, but this guy is way over the top. He takes his valid points, blows them up out of proportion, and then comes to absurd conclusions as to how to remedy the problems. He appears to be pathologically pursuing a personal vendetta. People that want to enjoy outdoor sports are not going away; the solution lies in convincing them to exercise intelligence and treat the environment responsibly, not in fencing them out of everywhere that a blade of grass is growing or that some spotted murrelet may become traumatized by seeing them.

:monkey:

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I don't know how that last post of mine came out as a quote from Skookum. Those were my thoughts, not his. My apologies, Skookum.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by jaydee
I don't know how that last post of mine came out as a quote from Skookum. Those were my thoughts, not his. My apologies, Skookum.
Apology NOT ACCEPTED you trail locust!!!!:angry:

i'm just monkeying around fellas.....

see!:monkey: ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Personally, I have never seen Skookum and Mike Vandeman in the same place at the same time...

:think:
Yah as well as i've never seen Tenchiro and BikerFox in the same place at the same time neither....

:think: