Quantcast

first day as a shop wrench...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
...and i don't think i worked on anything valued over $100.

it was cool, though, and i enjoyed it. 9.5hrs of wrenching with a 10min lunch break.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
Badass man. I like Jesse pretty well. Dylan's a super cool cat too. If I didn't wrench on my own, I would likely use them or Todd. Mechanic here is not so hot.

Congrats. I know how long you have been trying.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
who's Jesse?

i like Dylan. he's good people. Ron is also cool.

one guy i was working with today, whose name i can't remember, but wish i could 'cause he was nice, started talking to me about Comfort DH. kind of funny.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
who's Jesse?

i like Dylan. he's good people. Ron is also cool.
He's the big guy. Is he not there now??? I forget about Ron. Remember when he would piss everyone on mojo off???

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Ron posted on Mojo? got a link by chance, 'cause i don't remember.

today, i worked with an asian guy...Satuki? Ron, and a guy who was about 6'2", early 50s...school teacher. the only other wrenches i recall offhand, are Marshall and Dylan.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i put brakes on 2 16"-ers. annoying as hell.

and you know what? i just realized that i had my shirt on backwards the whole ****in' day and no one said anything. what the ****? store manager, service assistant manager, 6 or so other employees, and no one said "yo...uh...look in the mirror."

(long story short, i had to change shirts in my truck, from a plain black button down short sleeve to a BSS t-shirt)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mazeltov, I know you have been stoked to do this. I wrenched for 25 years, If you have any Q's, feel free to throw them I out. I do know a lot of little tricks for all kinds of scenarios. Have fun, they let you have a ten minute break? WEAK!!:)

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Today I went riding. I used to work in a shop though. It can be fun but the pay wasn't so great.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
rideit said:
Mazeltov, I know you have been stoked to do this. I wrenched for 25 years, If you have any Q's, feel free to throw them I out. I do know a lot of little tricks for all kinds of scenarios. Have fun, they let you have a ten minute break? WEAK!!:)
yeah a 10 minute break seemed quite short. at my bike shop people usually go on a half hour or so break.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bballe336 said:
Today I went riding. I used to work in a shop though. It can be fun but the pay wasn't so great.
they're paying me $1.50 more than i asked.

rule is, on Saturdays, the shop buys lunch, but we don't get a lunch break. we just eat when there's time. i finished up something i was working on, then went and ate. i didn't want the other guys to get behind because i was busy stuffing my face, so i hurried (plus, i was starving).

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
that's what it was like working outside at the golf course. "maintenance mondays" and thursdays sucked ass during the summer. 8 - 5, no lunch, 100*+, dust and **** from dirt roads and construction. ugh.

r3y35

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
i don't know if the "north" guys ever swap places with the "south" guys, but if you get a chance, say hi to anthony for me if he still works there. i grew up with him and he's hella cool.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i think they do switch, actually. the asian guy today normally works down at the central store. i'll let Anthony know (if i see him).

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
rideit said:
I was kidding in the other direction...in a busy shop, like working in a busy kitchen, there are no 'breaks', unless it all chills out....
true that. on weekends they are very short breaks or we all just do working lunches. but on weekdays its a little more mellow but breaks still arent too long. im still used to working there when its pretty mellow because its usually pretty slow over the winter and in the early spring.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Oh man this thread has me all nostalgic. The first day as a wrench, I took out the trash and then was put incharge of building a $6,000 Litespeed, that was the coolest hazing ever. Those were good times. Have fun at the shop, I may just get myself a piuart time gig at a shop.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
the Inbred said:
and you know what? i just realized that i had my shirt on backwards the whole ****in' day and no one said anything. what the ****? store manager, service assistant manager, 6 or so other employees, and no one said "yo...uh...look in the mirror."

(long story short, i had to change shirts in my truck, from a plain black button down short sleeve to a BSS t-shirt)

Yo, inbred, the buttons go on the front. There's your tip for tomorrow.