Quantcast

first DH bike, looking for some advice

happity

Chimp
Jun 14, 2009
okay, first post, so sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

I have not alot of expierience in mountain biking but I have decided I want to build a DH bike. this is because A) I think building one would be a good expierience and B) well obviously becuase I like to mountain bike.
I am going with downhill becuase I want to do stuff that you cant normally do on an all mountain bike (I recently blew out a tire and screwed up the shocks on a rental giant trance)

I looked online and found a cool grouping of parts that I want to build the bike from. the reason I posted in this thread is to get some input on the parts selection. please help me find cheap entry level parts if this list isnt satisfactory.
frame: mongoose ECD (07 or 08, whatever is available on pinkbike)
fork: manitou sherman breakout(these looked cheap and had good ratings)
everything else: pricepoint sram x.7 disc build kit

how does it sound?
thanks

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Just buy a used complete, ride it for a while, figure out what you like and what you don't, then either sell it or start swapping out parts.

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
mongoose sucks, and manipoo (pun intended) is the worst suspension company conceived since Romic. find a used complete as mentioned above. ebay, craigslist, mtbr, here on ride money, punkbike for starters. In my learning days I figured out which components work, and which don't so heres a little list of stuff for you to avoid if possible in your purchase;

Hayes, manipoo, romic, 5th element, vivid shocks, mavic wheels (I use the rims but there hubs and complete wheelsets are baloney,) azonic,:ban: and well you know what.. i'm tired and complaining and being critical are dull and repetative. so you know what?

Get a bike, ride it, and love it. Its america!:banana: so it it works run it! and if it ain't broke don't fix it... lol so let freedom ring and all that jazz :cheers:

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
There are plenty of good used DH bike on the market that are affordable. I would avoid any full on race only type of machine. Things like adjustable this and tunable that should be avoided for your first bike. You wont know the difference in anything untill after a season or two. used Kona might fit the bill. Relitively bombproff for a first bike not a lot of mauntenance. plus they are pretty cheap. Dont worry about gaining experiance by building a bike. You will learn by replacing all the parts several times along the way. Dh is hard on parts and rocks are pretty much unforgiving. My 2 cents.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
There are plenty of good used DH bike on the market that are affordable. I would avoid any full on race only type of machine. Things like adjustable this and tunable that should be avoided for your first bike. You wont know the difference in anything untill after a season or two. used Kona might fit the bill. Relitively bombproff for a first bike not a lot of mauntenance. plus they are pretty cheap. Dont worry about gaining experiance by building a bike. You will learn by replacing all the parts several times along the way. Dh is hard on parts and rocks are pretty much unforgiving. My 2 cents.
Like everyone else said, you're better off picking up a used complete bike first. DH riding is really tough on bikes, so you'll learn how to fix/replace parts on your bike piece by piece. If you ride DH with some buddies, get used to riding your bike first and then take some of their bikes for a couple of runs on trails that you usually ride on your own bike. That way you'll recognize the differences right away and you'll know what you like/don't like about how different bikes ride.

happity

Chimp
Jun 14, 2009
okay, so the verdict is mongoose and manitou suck and I should just buy a used DH on pinkbike or craigslist? cool, I can live with that....any suggestions on what model of bike to buy?
I actually really do like the ECD and they go for cheap used, I think.....
theres also the devinci Ollie...

please give me some suggestions

thanks

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
mongoose sucks, and manipoo (pun intended) is the worst suspension company conceived since Romic. find a used complete as mentioned above. ebay, craigslist, mtbr, here on ride money, punkbike for starters. In my learning days I figured out which components work, and which don't so heres a little list of stuff for you to avoid if possible in your purchase;

Hayes, manipoo, romic, 5th element, vivid shocks, mavic wheels (I use the rims but there hubs and complete wheelsets are baloney,) azonic,:ban: and well you know what.. i'm tired and complaining and being critical are dull and repetative. so you know what?

Get a bike, ride it, and love it. Its america!:banana: so it it works run it! and if it ain't broke don't fix it... lol so let freedom ring and all that jazz :cheers:

Actualy the EC-D is quite a good bike for it's price. Don't hate the brand, hate the product as it makes you sound silly as some of the brands you mentioned have some quite good products.
BTW. Didn't they fix the vivid problems?

@ Happity look for used bikes here and maybe on mtbr. I wouldn't risk pinkbike as half of the retards there don't even know how to take care of their bikes (or even notice if there is something wrong). Of course it can happen on RM classfields but the chances are muuuuuch smaller. Especialy if you're unexperienced and don't know what flaws to look for.

happity

Chimp
Jun 14, 2009
okay, so say somebody saw an 07 kona stinky, with D.O.P.E. system frame, for $500, is that a trustworthy buy or is there likely to be something wrong with it?
how about a mongoose ecd frame with a 350 lb rear coil for $450?
anyway, what is the general price range to look in for a used kona stinky full bike(06-07), becuase I see lots of variation($500-$2000).
also, the most money I could have any time soon is around $500, is there any good full bike that I could get used for that?

thanks

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
12-1500 should get you a pretty legit starting point. I would keep an eye out for a used Transition Blindside, Kona Stinky, or a Giant Glory or Faith. Little things wrong with cheap(ish) frames can turn into big headaches.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Also depending what you came off of, you may want to get a "mini-DH" bike. I ride full blown DH rigs, but i see alot of newer riders that cant handle all the suspension yet. 6 inches is enough to ride most trails but not too cumbersome. Just some food for thought.

happity

Chimp
Jun 14, 2009
okay...this is a bit of a blow, since I have no job and It will probably take me a year to save up 12-1500...but if I must then I must.
thanks guys this was a big help.
I will post some pics of my rig when I get one, in case anyone wants to know what I end up with.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
keep a look out for like a specialized big hit. sometimes they go for dirt cheap.

I would defo stay away from building up unless you know what you are doing its a pain with different, BB widths, chainlines, headsets, wheel axels, chain guides.. blah blah....

also the ecd mongoose is fine I rode one, it was nice. if you are a beginner you wont really notice the feel of most suspension , just make sure you get about 8 inches of travle, its great hitting dropps you get so much confidence.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I am not trying to rain on your parade but if you only have around $500 you are in a tough situation. The problem is even if you could find a half way descent bike for that money (which is highly unlikely) the up keep is pretty spendy. you could easily spend that amount in a season on tubes, tires, a few broken parts, fork and brake maintainance. The less money you spend initially usually means you will be spending more to maintain.

I'm not saying you need to buy a brand new bike but realistically I think you want to be around the $2000 mark for a descent used DH bike. I assume you are young. Get creative, start a basic landscaping business or something. Work your butt off, pick up any kind of work you can and save your money. It will make you a better person.

You've got to pay to play in this sport, but it is worth it!

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
On craigslist I see 06-07 stinkys for as low as 800 in pretty good shape, there will usually be about 10 up on the 2 closest craiglists areas to choose from, along with some demo's, some big hits and a few other assorted DH/FR bikes. Just watch it like a hawk, and when you have the money and you see a deal jump on it, some people will get desperate to sell a bike if they are moving/need money.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
If you are short on cash whay don't you just start with a long travel DH worthy hardtail. Lots of guys start out with them. Not a lot of investement and you will definatly learn mad skillz. Something stout Like a Banshee Morphene or something similar. A good old fashion hardtail Northshore Huck Machine You can Save up for your FS bike while getting experiance and learning true bike handeling skills like a lot of us older guys did. Then, when you get finally get your FS bike you will really be cookin up the trails.