Quantcast

First DH

legalize

Chimp
May 15, 2012
NYC
Went to give downhill biking a try with two friends, long story short... we all went to the ER. Nothing too serious though and only one broken bone between us three.

I was the first to fall, left the bike and landed about 5-6 feet ahead and from about as much in the air... rough landing I must say, took a few minutes to remember where I was and why :rofl: Nothing crazy, sprained shoulder and just banged up from the knees to the ribs thanks to the great availability of rocks on the trail... thank you helmet, knee pads, elbow pads... though my shins took a few bumps even through the guards. Also almost injured something very dear to me, but got away with just some bruising on the groin. So I basically got away pretty lucky aside from some cuts and bruises.

Coming down the mountain to get checked out, my two buddies picked up some speed... nothing but gravel and rocks down. I was barely moving and couldn't really function all that well yet. They didn't hear all the helpful riders we passed tell us to walk down, or even walk the trail instead of said rocky road. They were not barely moving... One fractured his clavicle and is missing half his skin on his back, one got away with a couple of bumps and bruises.

Yes, we don't know how to ride, but it was a hell of an experience... try again next year. I'll just stick to my xc for now.

Two hour drive to the park, 30 minutes on the trail, 2 hours in the ER, lunch + beer, 2 hours drive back. Fun :thumb:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Yes, we don't know how to ride, but it was a hell of an experience... try again next year. I'll just stick to my xc for now.:
Why wait til next year? You guys need to get more time in the saddle to get experience otherwise you should just expect the same results "next year". just sayin'

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
Yes it is! MCBP is for all skill levels!
How do you know they were at MCBP?
We took a first timer to Mountain Creek this past weekend who is a beast on 20". First run went down under crap shoot, knee pads slid and and his knee had some nice new mud flaps installed. It is a tough place for first timers, even with the green trails.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
We took a first timer to Mountain Creek this past weekend who is a beast on 20". First run went down under crap shoot, knee pads slid and and his knee had some nice new mud flaps installed. It is a tough place for first timers, even with the green trails.
You take greenhorn to domboo. It doesn't get easier.
That trail network is devoted to newbies. I've seen kids riding it age 8 or younger on Walmart bikes and guys older than 70 riding it!
It doesn't get easier than domboo and greenhorn when it comes to downhill

legalize

Chimp
May 15, 2012
NYC
I agree with all of you! It was sorta tough, or not, I didn't ride for more than 5-10 minutes to really rate the whole green trail, plus I might've crossed to the blue one as they intersected. I blame overconfidence, not having a feel for the bike, and the extremely grabby front brake... oh yea, speed might've been a factor :P

I'm eager to go back, but when I do I'm going to be crawling down that trail.

By the way, how did you all figure out where we went ? :D