Quantcast

first downhill race

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
So okay, Sunday is going to be my first downhill race, and I'm a little nervous. I don't think it's going to be anything too gnarly, but it will be an accomplishment for me.

Any words of wisdom? Advice?

* do alot of practice so you know the route well
* sit back
* relax
* and ride like you are the most amazing thing out there
* dont let other people (or the machines they have) intimidate you, your bike doesnt win races, your head, heart, and soul does
* have fun!

Good luck zoey! let us know how it goes!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Stay at a pace you can ride the entire race. Dont start off as fast as you can go. You will not make it. Relax and just ride is the key.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Relaxing is very important.

During practice, get to know the course. Look at different lines on the hard parts and compare them, then practice riding through those sections.

Also, try to be smooth and (act like you are the best while riding - good advice). Smoother is usually faster.

Remember to have fun!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Kanter said:
Stay at a pace you can ride the entire race. Dont start off as fast as you can go. You will not make it. Relax and just ride is the key.
It's a DH race. I say don't relax. Sometimes I end a race feeling too relaxed and I'm bummed. I like when I'm totally beat at the end.

Just have fun.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
"* and ride like you are the most amazing thing out there
* dont let other people (or the machines they have) intimidate you, your bike doesnt win races, your head, heart, and soul does"

great advice!

i also like to draw a map of the course during my trackwalk and include notes very specific to my own needs. then i study it before sleep then again first thing in the morning. knowing the course like the back of your hand can be extremely helpful on many levels, to say the least.

and if you get nervous before your race, do the loosey goosey dance. not only will it make you feel silly but also more relaxed, it'll freak out your opponents. mwwaaahahaha.

hum your favorite show tune or tv theme song. odd couple and the brady bunch are some of my faves.

good luck and have a blast. racing rocks.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ I drew the course for my first DH race in class a few times and marked all the sections :rofl:. Good idea. That's something I would do, as I draw all the time.

He, like I, may have meant mentally relaxed. I have a pretty relaxed mindset at races, and don't ever end up nervous. Physicaly, I try to go as fast as I can (not too fast though, so I can stay in control).

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
My first DH race was last month and I've done 1 more since and will be racing another on Saturday. My advice is just to have fun. I didn't focus on being fast for my first race, I just focused on having a clean run and not wrecking. I wanted to come away with a good experiance for my first time and focus on being faster in later races. I also decided beforehand to get off my bike and run it through one rock garden section that I had problems with so that I didn't have to chance wrecking. I was almost just as fast running it as I was picking my way through it!

Also get out there on the course early before it gets too crowded to get in your practice runs. I talked myself through the tough sections...saying over and over "you can do this". I think that helped my confidence through some sloppy low speed decents and turns.

Good luck on your first race? Where is it?

huckqueen

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
CT
I totally agree with VT Mtbkr. My first DH race was in June. And I just completed my third one this past weekend (w/great results... I won!) I really think the practice runs are very important to really learn the course and get the dhilling juices flowing. For all of my races I only practiced the day of the race. Though the weekend before my third race we were downhilling at Jiminy Peak... so that got me back into the DH-mode.

Good luck and have fun!

PS... I also talk to myself alot during the race.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Make sure you use the most of your practice time. Memorize your lines and stick with your lines! If you're having trouble through a section watch other people ride it for other options. Walk the course if you have to. I always find I ride with more confidence when I know how I'm going to get through the technical section.

Relax and enjoy. You're nerves will geth the best of you if you let them. It's just you, the course you've riden and know like the back of your hand, and the clock. Nothing else matters!

Have a blast and don't let the other riders scare you or make you nervous. You have just as much right to be riding as they do!

Good lucke and let us know how it went!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
weimie said:
Have a blast and don't let the other riders scare you or make you nervous. You have just as much right to be riding as they do!
has this happened to you?

people were totally awesome to me on my first race. the second i said i was scared and had never done this before people totally cheered me on and made me feel like a rock star.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Hike back up tricky sections and do them again. But before you do, stand and watch some other people go through the section. Check out their lines and see what works.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Definitely practice as much as you can. Hike up to the tricky sections and ride it more than once, trying out a couple of different lines. If you can, try to watch what lines others are using too.

Also, have fun!!! That's what riding is all about! I also find that I talk to myself throughout and definitely have a good song in your head.

Good luck and be sure to post up your thoughts post-race!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
what everybody else said, but also: before you're done practicing on Sat, do at least one complete run without stopping, just slower than race pace. It will give you an idea of how tired you're going to be at the different sections, and where you should conserve energy and where you can go all out. :)

oh yeah, and just have fun.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Toro Park? I might go there Sunday too. Don't worry you'll do great! I was super nervous my first race but realized it wasn't neccesary. Good luck!!!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I think I need to write all this down! LOL! Okay-mostly just know my lines and relax.

I'm getting all jittery thinking about it! :)

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I'll let you know on Monday. :) The one time I rode Toro Park I was so underwhelmed. There wasn't any cool singletrack and the fireroad had waterbars-ugh!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
zoey said:
I'll let you know on Monday. :) The one time I rode Toro Park I was so underwhelmed. There wasn't any cool singletrack and the fireroad had waterbars-ugh!
You could always come out to Tahoe on Saturday and do the Nevada State DH race.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
amydalayna said:
has this happened to you?

people were totally awesome to me on my first race. the second i said i was scared and had never done this before people totally cheered me on and made me feel like a rock star.
There's usually the 1 or 2 uptight guy's trying to win practice. It's usually been on my first or second run and I'm still a little nervous about the course and riding a little conservative. I've been sworn at before for not letting someone pass IMMEDIATELY....it's not like I don't let other riders pass me, it's just sometimes you have to wait until there's a place to let them pass. I was going over a rock step down section once and I guess I went through it a little slower than the guy behind me would have preferred and he started swearing at me....whatever :rolleyes:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
weimie said:
There's usually the 1 or 2 uptight guy's trying to win practice. It's usually been on my first or second run and I'm still a little nervous about the course and riding a little conservative. I've been sworn at before for not letting someone pass IMMEDIATELY....it's not like I don't let other riders pass me, it's just sometimes you have to wait until there's a place to let them pass. I was going over a rock step down section once and I guess I went through it a little slower than the guy behind me would have preferred and he started swearing at me....whatever :rolleyes:
that blows. sorry you've had to deal with that.

i've never encountered that [knock on wood]. now that i've sad that i'll probably encounter some real jerks at tomorrow's race. doh.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Where is the race in tahoe? Some friends and I were thinking of doing toads tomorrow and then D-Ville on sunday....

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
weimie said:
I've had to deal with that too. Love it when Pro's talk down to Sport riders. Real PROfessional. :rolleyes:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
amydalayna said:
There's the Nevada State downhill race up at Mt Rose.
Come out!

I'll be riding Toad's on Sunday.
I am still on the fence about going at all. I have been traveling a lot lately and a nice quiet weekend at home would be awesome. But I do need to get up there soon one way or another. If I go I think we'll stick to plan since it's a group thing and I'm just one of four. You want to ride D-Ville on sunday?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
punkassean said:
You want to ride D-Ville on sunday?
Thanks for the invite, but I'm feeling the same way you are. Too much traveling... not enough home time. I spent 2 weekends in a row in Dville last month. What's funny is that I was totally planning on going out there this weekend, but wussed out of meeting up with friends because I wanted to stay home for a weekend.

Should be a fun time though, it's been nice and cool out.

And I figure I'll race tomorrow as I don't know what other downhill races are going to be between now and the end of the season.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
McGRP01 said:
I've had to deal with that too. Love it when Pro's talk down to Sport riders. Real PROfessional. :rolleyes:
That's totally lame. You think pros would do anything to encourage more ams to stick with racing. The bigger racing gets, the more money they make.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
amydalayna said:
Thanks for the invite, but I'm feeling the same way you are. Too much traveling... not enough home time. I spent 2 weekends in a row in Dville last month. What's funny is that I was totally planning on going out there this weekend, but wussed out of meeting up with friends because I wanted to stay home for a weekend.

Should be a fun time though, it's been nice and cool out.

And I figure I'll race tomorrow as I don't know what other downhill races are going to be between now and the end of the season.

I spent two weeks in OK and TN for MX races and it was so exhausting and HOT I am still recovering. A relaxing weekend in Capitola might be the ticket this time. :)

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
amydalayna said:
That's totally lame. You think pros would do anything to encourage more ams to stick with racing. The bigger racing gets, the more money they make.
These aren't pro riders I encounter, they're Sport riders :rolleyes: It's usually the younger guys that are the a$$holes. I don't let it bother me...I find it rather silly and sad that people can be so uptight and inconsiderate. They don't realize that they are doing nothing for the sport except turning people off to it.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
weimie said:
These aren't pro riders I encounter, they're Sport riders :rolleyes: It's usually the younger guys that are the a$$holes. I don't let it bother me...I find it rather silly and sad that people can be so uptight and inconsiderate. They don't realize that they are doing nothing for the sport except turning people off to it.
i think those guys are going to be jerks no matter where they are.... races or just regular trails.

Last night my husband and I shuttled a local DHish run. On the way down we caught up with these 3 young guys totally rocking full on freeride gear and setups. We're on our trail bikes with xc helmets.
I passed one guy, but RIGHT before we finished the ride he came up from behind me and said he wanted to pass me. I know it's because he didn't want his friends to see him being slower than some chick on her xc bike.

Anyways. At the bottom we're both pumped because it was a great ride. I tried making small talk with the freeride kids, but they wouldn't have it. They just thought they were too cool for school.

I don't get it. If I'm at races or on the trails I'm always trying to make friends with people. Always looking for more people to ride with. Some people are just way to serious.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I totally agree. There's no need for that kind of behavior.

I was at Keystone last weekend and a local team rider almost took me out in a rock garden on the upcoming race course. Didn't let me know he was coming up or that he trying to pass me just blasted right past me. I had to hit the brakes and turn my front tire just to keep from hitting him. My boyfriend saw the whole thing and high tailed it after him, when he caught up to him a couple seconds later he found him off his bike because he crashed. He got himself an good talkin' to :)

But don't let these behaviors discourage you Zoey. There's always a few bad apples out there that ruin it for everyone and they are everywhere. The majority of people out there are kind and courteous. And the other female racers I've encountered are always really friendly and helpful.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
amydalayna said:
i think those guys are going to be jerks no matter where they are.... races or just regular trails.

Last night my husband and I shuttled a local DHish run. On the way down we caught up with these 3 young guys totally rocking full on freeride gear and setups. We're on our trail bikes with xc helmets.
I passed one guy, but RIGHT before we finished the ride he came up from behind me and said he wanted to pass me. I know it's because he didn't want his friends to see him being slower than some chick on her xc bike.

Anyways. At the bottom we're both pumped because it was a great ride. I tried making small talk with the freeride kids, but they wouldn't have it. They just thought they were too cool for school.

I don't get it. If I'm at races or on the trails I'm always trying to make friends with people. Always looking for more people to ride with. Some people are just way to serious.
LOL! I love that mentality--I can't let my guys see me get beat by a chick :p

I too try to make friends with people whenever we ride and am amazed at the lack of social skills some people have.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Just want to go out and do the mudhunnies proud. :) At the very least not squeal as I go downhill (I've done that before *blush*).

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I rode in the Sky Tavern race that Amy was gonna race in...it was a blast!!!!!!! Everyone was super nice, friendly and positive...and the chicks that were there were super duper cool and helpful...they weren't intimidating at all and one of them just got their pro card and the other one is, I think, one podium away from getting hers as well...

it was my first race...and I give the peeps there two thumbs up!!!!!