Quantcast

First flight should be today!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
This is a big deal! The first plastic airplane! I hope the weather cooperates.
Are the wings "plastic" or traditional AL skin over AL structure?

If by plastic we're talking carbon fiber composite, then the Beech Starship, Premier 1, and Hawker Horizon / 4000 beat the 787.......but it's the first airliner that's "plastic".......I'll give you that one ;)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Yes, and we all recall what a major success the Starship was. :rolleyes:
Well I never claimed it was a sucess that's sure. I did a repair on a Starship several years ago that ran off the runway. The aero fairing that closedout the area behind the rear wing spar was cracked open. When I looked in there all I saw was huge cured "puddles" of resin where they had literally slopped it on joining the wing elements. It looked like something my 5 year old would have built..........

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My only regret is that MMike isn't close enough for it to crash into him. Here's to a successful flight and to a random asteroid hitting some Canadian Peckerwood.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I was hoping this was for spaceship two.

Still cool.

I can't wait until all of the interwebs composite experts are proven right and it disintegrates on landing, just like the carbon street luge they made with their buddy back in '92.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I think it's safe to say that this is more screwed up than the A380.....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2013713745_dreamliner19.html
Horizontal tails poorly built by Alenia in Italy are still being reworked. With the workmanship on the tails varying from one plane to the next, mechanics have to painstakingly customize the fixes plane by plane.

I'm personally shocked to hear of shoddy workmanship coming out of Italy. This has to be the first documented case of that, right?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Horizontal tails poorly built by Alenia in Italy are still being reworked. With the workmanship on the tails varying from one plane to the next, mechanics have to painstakingly customize the fixes plane by plane.

I'm personally shocked to hear of shoddy workmanship coming out of Italy. This has to be the first documented case of that, right?
Mussolini says, "STFU!!!"

Oh wait....he might say that tomorrow...or the next day...he's on the Riviera damn it and can't be bothered.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Little known story: The meathook they hung his body on was made in Italy, and only supported his weight for 30 seconds...
But it was a really stylish meathook, with awesome paint and a truly sweet exhaust note.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Well smoke in the cabin as recently as November last year means a Q3 delivery to ANA is optimistic at best. Be good if Boeing could their sh*t together so I can go and see Partsy without doing a 4 airport shuffle.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well smoke in the cabin as recently as November last year means a Q3 delivery to ANA is optimistic at best. Be good if Boeing could their sh*t together so I can go and see Partsy without doing a 4 airport shuffle.
Where is that ****er now?

My bikes are actually willed to him. I went to Iraq and wrote up a hasty will and he was the closest guy I knew at the time who'd be able to take them of Steph's hands and see they were properly taken care of should I not come back. (ie, if I slipped and cracked my head in Kuwait airport, or as almost actually happened, I ended up at the bottom of the Tigris thanks to a ****headed dump truck driver...)

Anyhow, guess it's time to change that.

Oh, and I hope the flying Glock gets airborne soon.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Where is that ****er now?

My bikes are actually willed to him. I went to Iraq and wrote up a hasty will and he was the closest guy I knew at the time who'd be able to take them of Steph's hands and see they were properly taken care of should I not come back. (ie, if I slipped and cracked my head in Kuwait airport, or as almost actually happened, I ended up at the bottom of the Tigris thanks to a ****headed dump truck driver...)

Anyhow, guess it's time to change that.

Oh, and I hope the flying Glock gets airborne soon.
Been on Skype a fair bit with him lately and he's well. His missus just got back from the sandbox last week so he's probably been on the nest. Hope you didn't tell him about the bikes or he might have come and tried to knock you off through the intake of unfeasible quantities of hard liquor.