first FS ride

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
the Inbred said:
i've been sort of leaning towards the 5 Spot,
Lean harder.
The 5-spot for me, is the perfect trail bike.
It does everything right, and requires minimal care.
Shoot some grease in the pivots every six months or so, and keep
riding. Its the best bike that I have owned.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just got word that the shop i plan on going through is no longer a Turner dealer. this happened at some point within the past 2 - 3 weeks, as far as i can tell. Blur 4x...the bb height is really bothering me. i can't seem to figure out whether or not the IH MKIII is available as a frameset-only thing.

right now, i think it's down to the Moto Lite and the HH100X.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
the Inbred said:
just got word that the shop i plan on going through is no longer a Turner dealer. this happened at some point within the past 2 - 3 weeks, as far as i can tell. Blur 4x...the bb height is really bothering me. i can't seem to figure out whether or not the IH MKIII is available as a frameset-only thing.

MkIII is available as a frameset. http://www.go-ride.com/prod_frames_ironhorse.html

Blur 4x is a 4x bike. Lowwwwwwwwwww BB and slack HA. Not what i'd want.

The only downside to the Motolite is horrible tire clearance.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
the Inbred said:

madduck in dallas is a turner dealer.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
the Inbred said:
2 of the bikes i'm trying are true Horst links, and one is a faux-bar. customer service, and brand reputation are 2 huge factors, which cut out 95% of manufacturers. the remaining are manufacturers that stick with either Horst or faux-bar.

Iron Horse is one company that i'd like to try, but i don't think the service i can get from my top choices can be surpassed.

I have two Horst link bikes I love, Titus Talas Switchblade, and Specialized Epic. Both are sweet rides, but focused on slightly different areas.

About a month after getting the epic, I had my first accident. Threw it over a cliff in SoMo, watched it cartwheel down 30 feet of granite babyheads, as I hung from the side. Picked it up, brushed it off and kept riding. That earned my respect.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you think more than 4" is overkill, the blur 4X is probably not the bike for you. Check out the blur classic XC rig, it's lighter and the angles are steeper than the 4X. It makes more sense as a first XC FS bike. On the other hand, if you plan any dirt jumping, dual slalom, or light DH/Freeride, the 4X is a great choice. But that's not what I'm hearing from you.

Regardless, glad you're digging the FS. Just about every FS will have some bob when you stand up to climb. After a little while you learn to smooth it out a bit and get less bob. If you tune your suspension (regardless of the frame) to eliminate it, you end up with very little small bump compliance. I see people do that a lot and it works for them but they are really missing out on the comfort and traction afforded by a softer ride. Also, personally I don't stand nearly as much on an FS bike because I can just sit and hammer through technical climbs in a way I could never get away with on a rigid bike, especially one with only one gear.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i think any bob issues i had will be just about eliminated with the 2006 RP3. supposed to have a wider range of settings. when i first rode the 2005, i couldn't really notice much difference. a short review of a 2006 RP3, ridden on the same bike, states that the firm setting is firmer, and the soft setting is more plush. sounds good to me.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
going out on a MotoLite tomorrow. the TT (well, measuring from tip of saddle to middle of handlebar) is 1" shorter than the TT on my DOC, with a longer stem and the saddle pushed all the way back. a guy came into the shop not too long ago with the same size ML, same size as me, and he had a setback seatpost. not a big fan of that idea...we'll see how the test ride goes.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
best ride i've had in a long time...best climbing i think i've ever experienced. fantastic ride. longer review to come.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i just got finished doing a test ride on a Moto Lite. won't go into details about what's all lead up to me riding this, but i'll spout my short review. first, though, this is what i wrote about a HH 100X that i spent some time on about a year ago. (HH's personal bike).
the Inbred said:
not only was it my first full-sussy ride, but i can't remember the last time i had gears. my typical XC bike is rigid, also. bike setup was just slightly different than what i would do. mainly, wider bars. narrow bars make me feel cramped. SRAM triggers, Marta SL brakes, XTR cranks, SRAM X0 RD, XTR FD, MAXM bars. King, Thomson, Kenda, etc.

test riding a potential future bike (4"x4") on a rocky trail (HOL and beyond for you local folks). it was interesting. going down was rather odd. i was not used to the rear end, controlled by an RP3, being so smooth. i have to say, it was a little uncomfortable, and by uncomfortable, i mean odd. the front, a Float RLC, was damn smooth. overall, it was smoother than i was expecting, and tracked better than i was expecting.

climbing was a pleasure. i had always considered myself a masher...but damn, with gears, spinning is fun. it's nice making it up a climb that you had never made it up before. it's also nice not feeling absolutely battered after a ride. i absolutely love the fit of the frame. 23.5" TT, with 120mm stem felt perfect. anyway, i wasn't expecting to make it up about 50% of the climbs i faced today (long, and steady, as well as short and steep), but i pleasantly surprised myself.

SRAM triggers are nice. however, i don't know if it's this particular bike's setup, but the left trigger felt odd. i accidently hit the black trigger multiple times, while not being quite able to reach the silver one. i'm wondering if it's possible to bring the silver one in a little, so that the trigger body can be moved inwards...?

Turning was spot on. the bike went where i pointed it. low speed, high speed...nice. wasn't expecting that. my Inbred is quite twitchy, this bike felt like a good mix between a twitchy frame and a point-and-go-sled. like a "muted twitch", i guess? i don't know.

only semi-big problem was dropping the chain while in the middle ring. i did some adjusting, and that was solved. also, getting the front end up was a little harder than i was expecting. i'm sure this is only temporary, until i actually get used to have a properly setup suspension fork (as opposed to the super stiff Sherman Jumper on my DOC).

cannot comment on the stiffness of the rear end 'cause i have nothing to compare it to, except my Inbred, and DOC.

this is mainly just a stream of thought...hense the randomness.
and this is what i have to say after todays ride on a ML.

first and foremost, the TT was a little short. i knew this before picking up the bike, and was prepared...i guess. i've spent the past couple months riding a long Evil DOC HT with a 4" Revelation up front, and a 90X5* stem. the ML is a medium with...looks to be a 100x10* stem. from the middle of the handlebar to the middle of the seatpost, the ML was just shy of an inch shorter. i quickly set up the TALAS and RP3 for my weight (with help from Howard (the other guy behind Hammerhead) at the trailhead). set up of the ML was typical, i'd say, other than the XO gripshifts and XO rear derailleur. i put my King/ 5.1/ Larsen TT wheels on it.

it took me very little time to feel comfortable on the ML. despite it being a little short, descending was absolutely fantastic. felt so nimble when wanting/ needing to change lines. i felt more comfortable descending on the ML than i did the HH 100X. it was a little more "smooth." not smooth as in soaking up the bumps, but smooth as in Jack Kerouac. the ML just went. i doubt that makes much sense to y'all. whenever i take out a FS bike to ride, i'm always a bit leary as to how it's going to ride...is it going to be a "point and go" type bike that runs over everything, or will i be able to control it. the ML felt like a mix of the 2. had i wanted to just bomb down, i think i could have. it felt stable enough with speed. however, i maneuvered the bike with ease. no problems what-so-ever controlling the bike, while still mainting a calm flow.

ascending is where i was most surprised. the first time going up, i wasn't working with the bike...i was sort of working against it. it felt mushy...any time i hit a little step, it felt like all my momentum was being sucked into the RP3 and disappearing. going up the first time was frustrating as hell. when i got to the top, i remembered Howard mentioning i could use a little more air in the RP3. pumped it up a little more, descended, then turned around to go back up. something clicked between me and the ML. i just put it in the granny ring and started going up. i had to stop a couple times just to look back and think "wait a minute...did i just climb that? badass!" climbing became fun. have to admit...i like how the ML climbed compared to the 100X. seems it was just more comfortable. compared to my DOC, the ML was better, also. the rear end was planted to the ground. the only problem i experienced was some skipping (XT rings, perhaps? or maybe my cassette combined with the bike's chain). slow steering (both going up and down) was perfect. like i said, the bike went. smoothly.

in the end, after 3hrs on this bike, i think it's quite possibly the most fun bicycle i've ridden, despite being a hair tight (the seatpost also slid down a little...didn't notice until after the ride). as an aside, the XO shifters were unreal. 0 mis-shifts. i might have to switch from my X9 triggers...

also as an aside, Adidas Evil Eye Pros get 2 thumbs up from me.

high 90s, and no sweat in my eyes. wonderful. and the coverage was perfect.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
honestly, i don't know. the ride was so much more than i was expecting. i haven't been that happy after a ride in so long. i need to see if Titus will work with me through the shop i work at, and if they do, how much they'll $work$ with me.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It is...

Shop I ride for is a major Titus dealer...if you happen to get backordered or want to pay near retail for one, let me know...

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
N8 said:
90mm of the plushest travel you've ever ridden on and the rotors are Hopes.
They look really nice on there. The gold HS is nice, but green would just be hotness. I dug around your album and saw the hubs. Nice. :thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
rumor has it that my shop didn't go with Titus because one of the head guys waited 3mos for a 29-er from Titus.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm going to call them tomorrow. if they'll work with me directly, or with the shop, yes. right away. if not, more than likely, but a month or so down the road.