Quantcast

### First FTS###

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First day of spring break with the kids. Was supposed to rain, but it's sunny. Currently enjoying my coffee in my backyard. Will take the boys for a hike this morning, and one of them will play Magic with his classmate in he afternoon. Maybe I can convince the little one to go for a bike ride...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yo estoy aqui

trying to keep my shit together for another day at work. getting my resume together anyways.

narrowly? missed out on some levers and master cylinders for my new brakes...disappointing but at least it informs what I need to do in order to get the bike together.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I held off on swapping our car wheels given the forecast this week, although with all the 70's of the last couple of weeks I'm glad we've hardly been driving as the snow tyres were new this winter.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Saw perhaps the worst house we've seen so far. Was filthy, stank, was in a state of disrepair, had a neglected in-ground pool, was in an undesirable neighborhood, and had what I can only assume was a DIY cantilevered second floor balcony. And they had the nerve to ask 400K for something that probably needed 80K worth of work to become a 350K house. :disgust1:

Busy day on tap. Personally that is, work wise, it'll only be moderate.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Mornin!

Saw perhaps the worst house we've seen so far. Was filthy, stank, was in a state of disrepair, had a neglected in-ground pool, was in an undesirable neighborhood, and had what I can only assume was a DIY cantilevered second floor balcony. And they had the nerve to ask 400K for something that probably needed 80K worth of work to become a 350K house. :disgust1:

you know, you seemed less grumpy when you still lived here.

just sayin'

:monkeydance:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mornin!

we saw some really bad ones too. some highlights:

• one house wasn't particularly clean, but there was snow on the ground outside, and they hadn't bothered to clean up after their dog outside (in front of the entrance they had people coming in when they showed the house). at one point our agent asked "what's that smell?" turns out my wife stepped in their dog shit and walked all over their house with it. our agent's response was "oh well that's their problem. shoulda cleaned up"
  • saw one house that had been abandoned and the left windows to the basement open. power was cut, lots of rain, and the sump pump stopped working. basement was black mold like a stephen king book. there was a box of respirators on the kitchen counter by the door to the basement.
  • saw a large house (close to 4k sqf) that very clearly had a large extended asian family living there. i'm talking at least a dozen people.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I remember when we were looking at houses we went to one that had a big raised crack in the center of the driveway running from the street to the garage. I looked at the roof and the ridgeline had a rise that matched the driveway. went around the back and the drywall and foundation were cracked on the same line. Side of the house had a concrete walk that sloped away from the house. I realized that the house was built on a cut and fill slope with no downhill retaining wall. clearly 1/3 of the house was separating. They wanted 500k for the house, foundation and hill repair was going to cost over 100k we ran away...

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Herp. Another busy day. Begining of a week of webinars and smile & dial days. Painters here tomorrow for basement and new baseboards on main floor and basement. On fence about having them out to finish painting of all remaining baseboards (whole top floor and stairs up/down) plus 4 rooms in a few months once I have everything installed. I might be getting towards FTS for home work/renovations.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
@stoney type lament: was painting the kitchen with an existing shade we've used in other parts of the house... and the wife said, "touch up those spots on the old walls."

Discovered either the shade is *slightly* different from the new gallon I have, or the old walls have faded a bit... so now I have to completely re-paint the old walls with the slightly different shade. :mad:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We saw a couple of real doozies when we moved here in 05, that in retrospect were clearly signs of what was coming. Lots of just trashed and unkempt places that clearly needed work, but the one that sticks with me still is the place we walked into that had multiple bill late notices and a foreclosure statement laying on the kitchen table.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Day off today. On the last half roll of toilet paper. Risky!

Not sure what happened with work stuff on my phone, but I no longer see the individual email notifications as they arrive. It's nice. However since I woke up, I can see the new message number has gone from 40 to 70 in a short period - I shall not bother looking until I return.

First day of spring break with the kids. Was supposed to rain, but it's sunny. Currently enjoying my coffee in my backyard. Will take the boys for a hike this morning, and one of them will play Magic with his classmate in he afternoon. Maybe I can convince the little one to go for a bike ride...
It was supposed to be sunny here, but its gloomy and rainy!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney type lament: was painting the kitchen with an existing shade we've used in other parts of the house... and the wife said, "touch up those spots on the old walls."

Discovered either the shade is *slightly* different from the new gallon I have, or the old walls have faded a bit... so now I have to completely re-paint the old walls with the slightly different shade. :mad:
Thankfully I painted less than a year ago, so not too much of an issue. The walls getting painted upstairs are all relatively small and I guess "isolated" would be the description, from others that would cause shading to be visibly different.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

Such a rookie move for such an elder man

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I remember when we were looking at houses we went to one that had a big raised crack in the center of the driveway running from the street to the garage. I looked at the roof and the ridgeline had a rise that matched the driveway. went around the back and the drywall and foundation were cracked on the same line. Side of the house had a concrete walk that sloped away from the house. I realized that the house was built on a cut and fill slope with no downhill retaining wall. clearly 1/3 of the house was separating. They wanted 500k for the house, foundation and hill repair was going to cost over 100k we ran away...
We found a few places that Wifey loved, but we're in areas with known clay soil issues, that had large vertical cracks in the foundation. Looking at $20-30k in likely repairs because of the extent. Most were at the top of the range and one even had in the listing "no concessions
will be made". I was just mind boggled.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I am working from @stoney 's hood again today, which means a nice free lunch for me from the doctors lounge

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
We saw a couple of real doozies when we moved here in 05, that in retrospect were clearly signs of what was coming. Lots of just trashed and unkempt places that clearly needed work, but the one that sticks with me still is the place we walked into that had multiple bill late notices and a foreclosure statement laying on the kitchen table.
I think the one that stuck with me was the house where someone had clearly had explosive diarrhea on the wall by the toilet and didn't bother to clean it off.

Same house that had a cracked and exposed cover on the septic tank. Like, a small child sized hole.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the one that stuck with me was the house where someone had clearly had explosive diarrhea on the wall by the toilet and didn't bother to clean it off.

Same house that had a cracked and exposed cover on the septic tank. Like, a small child sized hole.

How else are you supposed to get the children into the tank? Takes a lot of work to make them flushable.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I put the summer tires on Saturday night while wife was on night shift and after the kids were down. Also after my semi drunk perception of strength kicked in. My back still hurts. Pickup truck size wheels are heavy...

On a less painful note, I exercised my brake seals on my Codes like this guy:

Seems my problem wasn't a bad bleeds, it was sloppy/sticky pistons. They feel like new again. Happy days.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The more stories about SC's "customer service" I find on the interwebz these days, the more convinced I am that I will be back on the Riot sooner than later.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Day off today. On the last half roll of toilet paper. Risky!

Not sure what happened with work stuff on my phone, but I no longer see the individual email notifications as they arrive. It's nice. However since I woke up, I can see the new message number has gone from 40 to 70 in a short period - I shall not bother looking until I return.

It was supposed to be sunny here, but its gloomy and rainy!
sorry I took your weather

Took the boys for a hike. it was nice. ordered 3 tires from Canadian Tire, which I've been meaning to do all winter. Last fall they replaced one my tires through the "no questions asked warranty". The tires were 90% worn, so I had three worn tires and one new one. The warranty is saving me $200, so I'd say it payed for itself.

Maybe one of the boys still has it in them to go for a mountain bike ride?