Quantcast

### First FTS###

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
actually, i just visited their site. they have pivoted to making ti hardtails.
I mean, the DW-link design could not have been cheap to use. Pivot, Ibis, and who else were also using it? It's not like they were standing out as a FS carbon manufacturer anymore. Whereas gravel bikes are an accelerating market. It makes sense. Also not many people are making Ti hardtails anymore.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The more stories about SC's "customer service" I find on the interwebz these days, the more convinced I am that I will be back on the Riot sooner than later.
Weird, a company previously known for excellent customer service got bought out by a private equity firm and now their customer service sucks? Sounds unlikely.

Next you'll claim they're recycling old product names for some shitty e-bikes to try and draw on the reputation built in the glory days, and there's no way they'd do anything like that.

now they make gravel bikes.
Are you blaming Westy for the downfall of Turner? Because it does sorta sound like it's his fault, they made rad bikes, he forced them to warranty a frame and now they make portly roadbikes. Not sure what other conclusion we're supposed to come to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you blaming Westy for the downfall of Turner? Because it does sorta sound like it's his fault, they made rad bikes, he forced them to warranty a frame and now they make portly roadbikes. Not sure what other conclusion we're supposed to come to.
Have you ever overnight shipped a bike frame to assholeville? Shits expensive.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think those things have a lifetime warranty. There is a shit ton of corrosion under the powdercoat of that frame. I should try to get it replaced.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When I broke the front triangle on my (used, out of warranty) DHR, I had a new front triangle in a few days.

Turner was a kickass company making kickass bikes in the early/mid 2000s, IMO. Kind of makes me sad to see them end up the way they did, but it's definitely not a surprise.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I broke the front triangle on my (used, out of warranty) DHR, I had a new front triangle in a few days.

Turner was a kickass company making kickass bikes in the early/mid 2000s, IMO. Kind of makes me sad to see them end up the way they did, but it's definitely not a surprise.
They used to be one of the premier mtb brands. I never owned one, but it sure bums me out.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I always thought I was pretty quick on my Yeti then I borrowed a friend's DHR. When I realized the I couldn't brake outside of straight lines on that bike, it really changed a LOT about I rode in general. Made a huge difference when I got back onto the Yeti and had learned this new concept. That was when I very quickly bumped from expert (where I had been for 2 seasons) to semi.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I always thought I was pretty quick on my Yeti then I borrowed a friend's DHR. When I realized the I couldn't brake outside of straight lines on that bike, it really changed a LOT about I rode in general. Made a huge difference when I got back onto the Yeti and had learned this new concept. That was when I very quickly bumped from expert (where I had been for 2 seasons) to semi.
I should have mentioned I broke the front triangle casing a step up with granite face landing. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The warm spring weather for the last couple of weeks is definitely over, high temp was 35 freedums today and there's snow inbound for tonight :(

(But we need the snowpack :))

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
After record lows this weekend even slightly into the negative Fs, it has blown up to around 50 degrees today and stating that way for the foreseeable future. Snow melting crazy fast, puddles and wet everywhere. Trails were great yesterday but this is likely the end unless you get up really early, like 5am. There might be a shot at crust riding in the higher elevations this weekend.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I mean, the DW-link design could not have been cheap to use. Pivot, Ibis, and who else were also using it? It's not like they were standing out as a FS carbon manufacturer anymore. Whereas gravel bikes are an accelerating market. It makes sense. Also not many people are making Ti hardtails anymore.
That’s not it. It was basically all the stuff we complain about here on RM. Industry moves too fast. If you don’t have 79.5 degrees STA then f*ck you. Too many mfrs lying about their numbers. Get off my lawn type stuff, but harder and harder for a small operation of just a couple people.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Finally got my shit together and went out for a post work Mt Bike ride. I saw some really cool stuff. In the Grasslands I saw a Black Shouldered Kit dive and make a kill. Further on I spotted some Kestrels nesting in a hole in a burned out tree. Came across a pregnant Doe. But the highlight was coming around a corner and seeing a big old Rattler in the middle of the fire road. Nose wheelie stop and backward bunny hop then I pulled out the camera. I was out for an hour and 20 minutes. not bad for being off the bike for a few months
DSCF3939 (2).JPG
DSCF3947 (3).JPG
173080505_4492732450743730_2141000726403782439_n.jpg
172987560_4492732484077060_6980770580378330146_n.jpg

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That’s not it. It was basically all the stuff we complain about here on RM. Industry moves too fast. If you don’t have 79.5 degrees STA then f*ck you. Too many mfrs lying about their numbers. Get off my lawn type stuff, but harder and harder for a small operation of just a couple people.
Which is a damn shame, because that was never their strength. Their stuff was seldom at the forefront of any measurable statistic, but it flat out worked and continued to do so for years after. I'd happily buy a metal RFX today if they made one.

But you are right, the frenetic pace at which the industry churns through dubiously justified "standards" was impossible for them to keep up with. Throw in the transition from metal frames to carbon and they had no chance. It's impossible for a small operation like that to move the volumes required to cover tooling costs year after year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Which is a damn shame, because that was never their strength. Their stuff was seldom at the forefront of any measurable statistic, but it flat out worked and continued to do so for years after. I'd happily buy a metal RFX today if they made one.

But you are right, the frenetic pace at which the industry churns through dubiously justified "standards" was impossible for them to keep up with. Throw in the transition from metal frames to carbon and they had no chance. It's impossible for a small operation like that to move the volumes required to cover tooling costs year after year.
I'd say the adoption of carbon killed them. Doesn't take too much to changeover an aluminum setup to adopt a new hub width or geometry. But as a "high end" brand they went the way of carbon and those changes probably go deep into 6 figures for a single model of bike.

I'd love to see them come back with some solid value aluminum options.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm probably close to 10000 miles of riding on my 2012 bought Turner Burner, it's been well looked after and serviced during the last 8+ years of riding and there's nothing wrong with it at this point.

I bet there's not many of the current trail bikes will be as well lasting 8 years from now given the same wear and tear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Somehow, 3D printing needs to save the small mfrs by allowing for quickly changing the CF mold. I think there are temperature issues, so the cheap thermoplastic kind won't work for this, but there's got to be a way to harness it in this respect.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm probably close to 10000 miles of riding on my 2012 bought Turner Burner, it's been well looked after and serviced during the last 8+ years of riding and there's nothing wrong with it at this point.

I bet there's not many of the current trail bikes will be as well lasting 8 years from now given the same wear and tear.

My 2006 polished/anodized Flux is a work of art and will never leave my ownership. I rode the everlasting shit out of it untill 2016 when I moved out west. That old geometry is no match for the steep trails here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Somehow, 3D printing needs to save the small mfrs by allowing for quickly changing the CF mold. I think there are temperature issues, so the cheap thermoplastic kind won't work for this, but there's got to be a way to harness it in this respect.
my understanding is that current 3d printing tech isn't yet suitable for production quality cf molds. you can get a few cycles of out of a mold at most, which at least works for prototyping.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Fiberglass molds are common for lower production parts. Machine a negative part out of foam, bondo/sand then make your fiberglass tool. I just don't know what their limit is, 10 parts, 100 or 1000.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know a few brilliant composite fabrication experts. If I only had some seed money and the ability to convince them into dumb ideas.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Called a dude at work on 3rd shift to get the scoop of what is going on for a project I am getting dragged into. He is a friend and I was off hours so beers were consumed on my part. Then I got dragged into a larger conference call somewhat shitfaced, dropping f-bombs and heckling managers. No regrets.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
there is a spooky junebug on ebay I will resist at all costs in not bidding on...

regarding ti hardtails....there was a black sheep ti hardtail I resisted the urge to buy...

Last edited: