Quantcast

First Impression of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's

Rynamite

Chimp
Nov 11, 2004
Well first I'd like to say awesome site. This is my first post... but I've been lurking around for awhile trying to learn a few things.

I got my set of Fire XC Pro's last night via UPS. I ordered them from pricepoint for $34.98 for the set. I figured I had nothing to lose for that price. I just got back from my first ride this morning and I must say they are a good tire. I was riding on some pretty hilly, rocky, rooty, loose sandy soil. (We can't figure out why it's sandy... I live in the middle of Pennsylvania.) Anyway... The first test they got was speed. To get to where I ride I take a flat, hardpacked dirt road. I was pleased at how fast they are. The next point in the ride was a pretty steep climb with lots of rocks and roots. There were times when I was sure I was going to spin out and lose traction... but these tires stuck it out. They did especially well in the loose stuff that used to give me trouble. After I hit the apex... it's a downhill singletrack with a lot of switchbacks and some pretty loose soil and loose rocks. I took the turns pretty fast to see how the tires would handle them. They seem like they pushed for a split second and then they'd bite and go right around the turn. Only once did they fail me, and I have some trailrash on my leg to show for it.... I'm not sure if any tire would have taken that turn though. I won't be able to comment on how they do in wet/muddy conditions until we get some more rain. I hear that's where the weak spot is with these tires... but we'll see.

All in all I am very please with these tires. I recommend them to anyone looking for a good XC tire at a good price. :thumb:

Aug 17, 2004
Va Beach
Those tires do pretty good for flat protection also. I personally don't like tires with striaght side blocks for cornering. I can corner and feel the edge of the tire biting but you push past that point and bye-bye....

I'm a Ritchey tire fan myself. Used those for about 6 years now. Can really go full speed ahead into the turns and feel that sucker BITE. Love it!

Had a friend who had those tires and he said the same thing about wet riding with those Panaracers, yikes...

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Here in So. Cal. those are very popular tires. I Have been running them for several years. More than anything, I used them for a rear tire these days.

mtnbikej

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Rynamite said:
I won't be able to comment on how they do in wet/muddy conditions until we get some more rain.
Yes a great tire for most things but the wet (as you have already heard). They do pack up and take a while to shed the cr@p. I like them a lot in the dry hard pack, loose topsoil/pine needles, and small gravel. Anything bigger like baby heads and what not I like the big brother Panaracer Fire 2.4 FR. It is a nice front with the 2.1 in the rear or a 2.25 Cinder in front. Oh, only pinch flatted the 2.1 once in 2.5 years, and I have had the same set on the bike for a long time. I switch back and forth between wet weather tires and the Fires.

Cheers!

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
i use to ride fire xc's, switched to specialized roll-x, lighter quicker, better grip in the wet. Just as nice in the loose. Nice tires though

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have ridden alot of the Fire XC's and but I like the Fire FR's even better. They seem a bit more sure footed but still pedal nicely.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Fire XCs are a bit too hard compound with knobs that are a bit too small and close together to be of much use in the wet. I used them for quite a while. Solid choice, can be had pretty cheaply. Flat protection was so-so in my experience. I don't think I'd use them again, though. I've been using Conti Vertical Pro 2.3s for over a year and they seem to be an improvement.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I just a pair of these on my bike. My initial impression was that they worked really well for climbing on loose dirt/gravel. I haven't done much fast, tight cornering yet or ridden in wet mud, but I've been impressed so far. For a price, they're a great deal.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I ride in the wet with them quite a bit and they seem to be ok. They do get a bit sketchy on slick roots but if you are prepared for it, they do ok.