Quantcast

First Impressions of Road Riding

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
It was the first nice day in over a week so the hubby took a vacation day and I called in sick (teachers don't get vacation days so I decided I needed a "mental health day") to embark on my first ever road ride. We knew that we would be stopping quite often at first to get my bike dialed in so we set out for our first ride not really expecting to get very far so we brought along the digital camera to capture some of our travels.

After the first mile, we stopped to adjust my seat (too far forward) and my bars. After a couple more miles, we found this lovely little memorial and had to stop for a picture of me with the tank.

After our stop at the tank, we traveled along rather quickly as Sq-Earl was trying to teach me how to draft with him. We were really flying for a few minutes and then he managed to drop me rather quickly on a climb (I really do need to figure out how to shift my bike). :rolleyes: Our next photo op came when we reached the Corinth Bluegrass Festival Site. Unfortunately, they aren’t open until summer, be Sq-Earl decided to pose with the sign anyway.

We were off again and I was in for some real climbing. For those of you who have visited our area, I am sure you have heard of Spier Falls. It’s a rather windy road with LOTS of climbing. Not wanting to kill me on our first time out, Sq-Earl thought we should tackle about half of it.
The first section that we climbed was a longer gradual climb.

More climbing and now we’re getting to the steeper sections:

The scenery is quite beautiful along the side of the road.

Despite being on a road bike, Sq-Earl can’t help but try notice some excellent features along the roadside and decided to try “extreme off the road riding” :D

What goes up, must eventually come down :D

All in all, we did a 20 mile ride in just under 2 hours (with our stops for pictures, a snack and bike adjustments). Next time we’re out, we’ll be able to get a true sense of our speed.

My observations about road riding (after my first ride):
1. Wind resistance is major!
2. Drafting is AWESOME (especially when Sq-Earl’s in the lead).
3. Riding down the hills is perhaps more of a rush than hitting a run on my DH bike. :eek:
4. Cars aren’t nearly as scary as 18-wheelers!

I’m looking forward to logging some more road miles soon!

splat

Nam I am
TreeSaw said:
My observations about road riding (after my first ride):
1. Wind resistance is major!
2. Drafting is AWESOME (especially when Sq-Earl’s in the lead).
3. Riding down the hills is perhaps more of a rush than hitting a run on my DH bike. :eek:
4. Cars aren’t nearly as scary as 18-wheelers!

I’m looking forward to logging some more road miles soon!
Ahh yes , but if you draft an 18 wheeler!!! :thumb:!!!

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
The girlfriend and I did a leasurely 25 mile ride today. The road is just faster than the woods. I wheelied over a road repair that I couldn't avoid, my very first road wheelie.

The road is helping me with my spinning and pedaling strength. Being a mountain biker, I still do a lot of things like I was on a mountain bike.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
TreeSaw said:
I was also amazed at how fluid my pedal strokes were getting. I aparently am a bit of a jerky pedaler and I really had to concentrate (for the first 3-4 miles) on smooth circles.
Yah there are alot of aspects of spinning correctly that translates well to XC. Especially if you're doing alot of dirt road stuff.
It's funny in spin class they try to make you do things like balance by doing a "standing hover" with one hand behind my back. Mt. biking gets you so dialed you don't need these exercises so sometimes i just go no-handed for a real challenge.:)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
splat said:
Ahh yes , but if you draft an 18 wheeler!!! :thumb:!!!
Around town I like to draft buses - its flat and they never go over 30. One of the few stupid things I should no longer do... except I cannot get enough - those riding on the bus have no idea what a huge draft a bus delivers. :rolleyes:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Great stuff T!

I did a short trek into and around Pittsburgh yesterday to deliver some business cards I designed and printed for our local MTB club. I rode the 575 (I am selling my old road bike and don't have anything else to ride) but it came in handy in town, I found a few sweet skinnys to drops that were cool and some stair sets that were fun to ride down. Best of all I got some time to push some gears. With all the rain the only trail time I am gettin is if I am building trail. I think my loop was probably around 12 miles. It felt good to ride that is for sure.

Congrats on the bike, and enjoying the ride!