Quantcast

First International Mountain Goat Bar Conference - Day 1

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
An epic weekend of riding and drinking it was!

Friday night, Sq-Earl and I decided to hit our local SMBA trails for a quick ride before our guests arrived. The weather was beautiful, but the bugs are definitely out in force so we tried not to stop much.

Some climbing practice for me:

And jumps for Sq-Earl:

Just as we’re leaving, we get a call that Echo & Ito have arrived so we get home and the drinking begins. After a short while and some tasty homemade hummus, Deyv & Isa arrive and more beers are consumed before we drift off to sleep.

Saturday, breakfast sandwiches were had and then it was off to Spier Falls for our epic deathmarch ride of glory. We rode for 5 ½ hours (5 of which were climbing) and were treated to some excellent technical singletrack, burning legs, millions of mosquito bites, various cuts, scrapes & bruises, an overlook view, another overlook (that we didn’t need to see, but did anyway ;) ) and a mystery trail roller coaster ride down to the cars.

The Group at the base of the mountain (boat launch area for the river): from Left to right, Deyv, Isa, Echo, Ito, Douglas, TreeSaw & Sq-Earl.

And so it begins (we’re still figuring out the camera so some pics are a bit blurry…sorry):

Isa:

Echo & Deyv:

TreeSaw:

Ito:

Deyv:

Playing on some rocks we have Ito, then Douglas & Echo.

Did we mention the mosquitoes?

Deyv showing us how to climb.

Deyv’s got so much style, he doesn’t even need a bike to do stunts:

A very large owl we saw along the way wasn’t sure whether we were dinner or just there to bother him.

TreeSaw navigating a steep climb between the rocks:

Ito showing us how to really climb rocks:

Back to the climbing and first up is Deyv, then Isa, TreeSaw & Ito:

A birds-eye view of Isa & TreeSaw climbing from the cliffs above:

More climbing? (Douglas & Ito rockin’ the SS 29ers):

Isa & TreeSaw on a scenic ledge climb:

Ah, the overlook…the place where we eat, rest and hope that the climbing is done.

Mmmm…..rocks (Doug & Echo, then Deyv & finally Isa):

FINALLY…some DH action!!! First up…Isa, followed by TreeSaw.

Wait a minute….I thought it was “all downhill from here” Why is Deyv climbing again?

Ito & Doug, still climbing on their SS 29ers:

Finally, after a DH on the mystery trail (no pics because it’s just too fun to stop and take them) we reach the last section of singletrack that winds through an old restaurant foundation. Echo & Isa showing us how it’s done.

The aftermath of TreeSaw brushing up against a tree rather lovingly & many mosquito bites later:

Lessons learned from Saturday’s ride…we never have enough water for epic spier rides, no amount of bug spray can deter the spier mosquitoes from eating us alive, it’s never really “all downhill from here” and Sq-Earl can and will ride anything!

Once home, it was to the showers, grilling some veggie burgers, chicken kabobs, veggie kabobs & shrimp kabobs and we were joined by some other friends for dinner & drinks. MANY good beers were consumed as well as a few rusty nails, some new drink we created involving pomegranate liquor & vodka (which was tasty) and good ole’ bourbon.

The bar Sq-Earl built:

Various party shots throughout the night:
At one point, Ito had 3 drinks going…crazy!!!

After countless hours of stories and cheers, we finally headed to bed and were sleeping before the lights were all out.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, me and MBC also had hummus and grilled shrimp Saturday night. Go figure. :D

That looks like a fun place to ride. Note to self: Convert garage into bar.