Quantcast

First job :-)

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
So just sent the signed contract back. As of February 1 2013 I'll be working for what I studied for the first effin time! :D:weee::monkeydance::headbang:

Just wanted to share it with the old wise people of the ridemonkeyz.

Any piece of wisdom for a noob in the labour world?

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
With what money? I'm too fat and keep breaking stuff.
Got enough paid vacations (6 weeks) to ride and a 40h/week, so more than enough time to hit the local trails after or before work :rolleyes: and travel a bit with the bike.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
What's your field of study
On Wednesday I should finally become MSc in Mechanical Eng. and my specific field is control systems/robotics. The job is as control systems engineer for high power traction systems, think high speed trains and freight trains, and I get to drive the things in the commissioning process. Sure that must become a pain in the ass after the first 2 days of "living" in a train, but should be interesting. One of the interviewers told me about how they got to play with two German ICE engines, one to brake and one to pull, for two weeks, while they commissioned a new upgraded traction system.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
a starting engineer , 6 weeks vaca, and only 40/week?

this has gotta be in europe or something.... oh yeah, congrats :P

i am whining cause i am jelly.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Congratulations. My best advice is look out for yourself because the company will look out for you even if you think the are. Protect your resume and keep building it. As EPMD said business never personal :)

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I know :( I only get 5.5 weeks off, working 37hrs/week with every Friday afternoon off ;)
Ugh, **** the U.S. i get **** for not putting in 10+ hour days, and not coming in on sat. If i want to take vaca in my first year at the company, i have to "borrow" from next year...... le sigh. WOO SALARY employed engineering!

anyone know of some xpat work in europe?

Last edited:

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Ugh, **** the U.S. i get **** for not putting in 10+ hour days, and not coming in on sat. If i want to take vaca in my first year at the company, i have to "borrow" from next year...... le sigh. WOO SALARY employed engineering!

anyone know of some xpat work in europe?
Generally in Switzerland qualified work force from the US is very welcomed. In Zürich at least you don't really have to speak german to get a job, english is sufficient. If you're serious about searching jobs send me a pm with your info, I might be able to help you.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
how in the....
yurp. I get 26 days without finishing my studies (it gives you more if you do) in the damn movie industry which is quite well known for not leaving people lots of free time

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Congratulations, most good US jobs are salaried and based on a theoretical 40 hour work week... Many newbies overachieve by putting 50 plus hour work weeks, old ****ers like me just make sure our work gets done faster so we can have Friday afternoons off.

My advice is to track and document your productivity; make your hours worked more productive than the next guy's. Don't get caught up in the work sucks mentality and develop an attitude that will decrease your future earning potential. Communicate with your peers to make sure you are the man you think you are and never store your lunch in a communal refrigerator...

If the company becomes the enemy, leave on your own terms.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
I just remember what I was going to say ... in the big people's world ..don't have sex with your colleagues. Not matter how much they ask you for it. It's not cool like it was at school.
You probably still will ... but at least your were warned. ;)