Quantcast

First Obama Scandal

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Frigid Fingers Were Live but the Music Wasn’t
By DANIEL J. WAKIN

It was not precisely lip-synching, but pretty close.

The somber, elegiac tones before President Obama’s oath of office at the inauguration on Tuesday came from the instruments of Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman and two colleagues. But what the millions on the Mall and watching on television heard was in fact a recording, made two days earlier by the quartet and matched tone for tone by the musicians playing along.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/arts/music/23band.html?hp

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
So? They knew that it was going to be freezing and that the music would sound like crap with frozen fingers.
Some people just need to find negatives in everything. Doesn't surprise me that it is coming from the NY times.
The less you read and watch the news the happier you will be and you will actually enjoy life.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Man, I was actually figuring they had hand warmers in their pockets and left the cocoon at the last second before playing...it hurt just to watch the fingering in all that cold.

(That wasfun to say.)

Kinda disappointing. The music was sort of a strange choice, though...very atmospheric, but not very thematic. I mean, I liked it...just didn't seem the type of thing for the occasion. Will Obama have the first ambient presidency?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Compared to invading a country that posed no threat, costing us trillions, thousands of lives and sinking us into financial ruin, there really isn't much of a comparison.

I'm patiently waiting to see all the old crap coming to an end. Step 1 - gitmo. If after 7 years if we don't have enough info to try someone, then it will never happen.

We have got a lot of crap to clean up.

Plus, we should deport yo yo ma for his deceit of the american people.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I was kind of relieved to know it was recorded...although also a bit sad to think they endured the cold fingers and weren't being heard live. Yo-Yo Ma didn't seem bummed about it at all. I love watching that guy play. All of them actually but he can be exceptionally delightful.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Cellist Yo-Yo Ma, violinist Itzhak Perlman, pianist Gabriella Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill made the decision a day before Tuesday's inauguration after a sound check to use a previously recorded audio tape for the broadcast of the ceremonies.

Carole Florman, a spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, said the weather was too cold for the instruments to stay in tune.

"It would have been a disaster if we had done it any other way," Perlman told the New York Times, which first reported that the music was taped on its Web site Thursday. "This occasion's got to be perfect. You can't have any slip-ups."

The Marine Band, the youth choruses and the Navy Band Sea Chanters performed live, Florman said, although Aretha Franklin was accompanied by taped music and voices.

Florman said all the acts "laid down tape" before Tuesday's inauguration. When they did their sound checks on Monday, all but the quartet made the decision to have their live performances broadcast.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/22/famed-quartet-played-recordings-tunes-inauguration/

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
As much as I am against it, any stringed instrument would have gone out of tune in that weather/temperature. Makes sense.
Not to mention, I somehow doubt Itzak brought his Strat (stratovarius) on stage, but rather a lesser valued model...a $1M+ instrument is not something you bring out in dry cold air just for show...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Not to mention, I somehow doubt Itzak brought his Strat (stratovarius) on stage, but rather a lesser valued model...a $1M+ instrument is not something you bring out in dry cold air just for show...
Yeah...you put a crack in that bad boy, game over.

I can haz new soundpost?!?

MikeD said:
The music was sort of a strange choice, though...very atmospheric, but not very thematic.
Two words: "John. Williams."

Blech.

I like how right before breaking into a variation on 'Simple Gifts' they put up Johnny's name and his "original compositions" title. Good thing he only directly plagiarizes public domain pieces...(wok wok wok)

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I was kind of relieved to know it was recorded...although also a bit sad to think they endured the cold fingers and weren't being heard live. Yo-Yo Ma didn't seem bummed about it at all. I love watching that guy play. All of them actually but he can be exceptionally delightful.
The president and surrounding members on the "stage" heard it live since they actually played. They just didn't have any sound equipment hooked up.