Quantcast

first post, going FS

capfitrus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
SW Az
Hi People. New to this forum. I was hoping you could lend me your insight. I have been riding XC/All mnt for about a year now. I would consider myself an intermediate/begginer rider. I have been riding a 19'' Ironhorse Warrior Expert HT. This bike has been great on the single tracks I have been riding. I am now going to buy a FS bike to complement my HT. After quite a bit of looking I am down to two bikes. The first is a'06 Specialized Epic with a few modifications, RS Reba race fork w/remote lockout and an upgraded shimano drivetrain and shifters, Mavic rims with Stans tubeless conversion to name a few. Bike is used with very little mileage and impeccably maintaned for $1,700. The second is a '07 Cannondale Rush 3z fully stock NIB for $2,100. I have test rode both and am stumped. Checked MTBR and they are really close on ratings. BTW I am 6' 195lbs. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Nice looking forum you folks have here.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm a larger dude... (6'7" 265). I do realize that Cannondale has improved since my experiences with them, but I'd go with the Specialized. The parts spec looks better suited to someone over 175. But that's just me. Wait for Sanjuro to chime in, he has a lot of insight into this (I think...:think: )

capfitrus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
SW Az
Thanks for the input Squirrel. This decision has become an obsession for me. I keep looking at every little detail on both of these bikes and picking the right one has almost become a nightmare ordeal. I wish I could just afford both, ride them for awhile and then decide. This XC riding has really gotten into my blood, I crave my time on the trails, I have become a real dirt junkie. If anyone else has ANY opinions on these bikes please let me know.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You have test rode both and liked them both equally? Or you had things you liked about one vs. things you liked about the other?

The test ride should mostly settle the debate, since comfort on the bike is the ultimate measure of how well you will ride it. There's no equal for being on a bike that just feels right underneath you.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
I agree with Binary Visions. Although both bikes are pretty much made for the same type of riding and are fairly speced equally on components it really comes down to ride and feel. They are both good bikes from reputable companies. If all the companies made their frame geometries identical then there would be nothing to differentiate them from the other manufacturers. Specialized is going to make their XC full suspensions to their geometries that they think is the best suited for their bike and the same for Cannondale. So just test ride both and see which geometry is going to fit you better.

capfitrus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
SW Az
That is exactly my dilema, I have ridden both and like them equally. I have read numerous reviews and reports and it seems they are very close in comparison. I am just looking for opinions from anyone that may have expirence or insight with these brands, I value what everyday riders think more than official reports and testings.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
If they feel about the same I would go for components specs then. If the Rush has a Lefty on it I would think about getting the Rush. The Lefty fork although looks really weird and scary is acutally very well balanced and plush and you won't run into a fork that is as light that has as much travel as the Lefty. My experience with Cannondale is that they are great. I currently got a Chase dirtjumper and I love the frame. I have a buddy that has a 95 F700 cross country bike that has taken the abuse of a beginner trials bike, xc bike, and urban bike. That frame has been used and abused and there isn't a sign of it breaking or cracking at all.

Diablo13

Chimp
Apr 7, 2007
I would go with the Cannondale because if you are looking for your first fs than I would suspect the Cannondale would have better components and I am sure would have a better front fork. The Cannondale's I have seen are strong and have a very durable frame. I have a friend who is 18 and is a volunteer fireman and is really strong and around 200 pounds and he has a Cannondale and it holds up for him just fine so I think it will be a great bike for you.

capfitrus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
SW Az
Thanks for all the input. I went with the Specialized Epic and plan on it being my XC racer, I am still considering getting the Rush and beefing it up for my AM bike. There is no law against both, right?