Quantcast

First Post... Need help finding non-hydraulic brake levers for Shimano Saint Shifter

Aaron D

Chimp
Apr 7, 2010
Hey all,
I hope this is in the right place the Saint shifter would qualify as a "downhill " shifter I suppose but it's not going on a downhill bike. I decided to convert my 21 speed to a 9 speed. I got a 9 speed chain and cassete and I ditched the front deraileur on my bike as well as converting to a single speed BMX style crank/sprocket. I then decided to replace the integrated shifter/brake lever setup as well. I attepted to use some very old levers I had laying around w/ a newly purchased Shimano Saint 9 speed shifter but the shifter just isnt designed to work w/ them:(. The Shimano Saint shifter will work w/ the Saint levers of course but I do not have hydraulic brakes.

I have since purchased a set of Avid Single Digit SL front and rear brake levers.

So my question is...

What are my lever options? I need to mate a Shimano Saint rear shifter to a set of centerpull levers going to Avid's Single Digit SL brakes.

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Try mounting the shifter INSIDE of the brake lever. Not certain this will work, but I had a hard time with my 98 XTR and saint brake lever until I mounted the shifter inside, and I removed the gear display. Give it a shot.

On my HT the shifters are mounted outside the levers...

Aaron D

Chimp
Apr 7, 2010
Sandwich,
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it will work. I just got back from 7 months w/ the Army but I remember trying everything before I left (and then again at Christmas). I tried both sides of the lever and above and below the lever mount itself (hard to explain).

Also, I don't have a gear display on my shifter...:confused:

NM, it looks like you said Saint BRAKE lever. I have a Saint SHIFTER and need a compatible brake lever set.

I have this:

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Hey dude,
thanks for your service. Here are a few photos of saint shifter in and outside of a brake lever. There's also an SLX shifter in there. Hopefully that will give you a few ideas. Not sure what else can be shown to explain it, but I can take photos of my setup if you need to. The saint shifter should be the easiest to fit since there is no gear display and it has an adjustable mount.

Aaron D

Chimp
Apr 7, 2010
Can't link from my phone but the old school Dia-Compe X-1 levers I had laying around were a definite no go. Looks like it's typically not an issue though.

So next question...

What kind of nifty levers would you recommend to go w/ the Single Digit brakes I have?

Thanks for the input guys, especially the pics.

Aaron

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are these them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230453831146&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF?&GUID=48b19bc71260a04373f64236fff87176&itemid=230453831146&ff4=263602_263622 ? Doesn't look like it would be an issue....

BUT....

the best levers are generally made by avid. Here are some good ones on sale: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15253-035_AVD2L6-3-Parts-911-Brakes/Rims/Avid-Speed-Dial-7-Brake-Levers-2009.htm
There is absolutely no reason the saint shifter won't work with those levers...if you can't get it to work, take it to a shop and they should be able to set it up.

What kind of bike is this going on?

Aaron D

Chimp
Apr 7, 2010
Sandwich,
Yes, that pic is the actual one I tried to link to last night (see below for reference). Those ARE the same levers I've had for quite some time, bought them for my BMX bike 15-20 years ago:eek:.

The bike I am putting them on is/was a Trek 7.1 (see below again). I wanted something I could cruise around town on at a good pace and would take more abuse than a road bike. I didn't need suspension though. This bike was a good choice at the time knowing what I knew. Unfortunately since this was my first new bike in decades I didn't know what I REALLY wanted until after I bought something and figured out what I didn't like about it. After hauling ass around town several times I realized I never got out of the largest gear. I replaced the stock cranks w/ some Profile BMX cranks and a single sprocket (Rennen Design was the only company that made one big enough that fit the cranks, nice part). I ditched the front derailleur of course.

I decided go from 7 to 9 speeds (lowest gear is same as stock but the high one gives me a little more top end that I wished I'd had for some fun downhill runs). I had to get a new shifter, cassette, and chain. The I found out the cassette wouldn't fit the cheap wheels on my cheap bike:(. I got new wheels and put everything together. The shifter actually fits (installs is a more accurate term) buts not worth a damn.

All this started last summer but 7 months playing Army in the meantime has effectivley squeezed it to much less. I'm really looking forward getting this thing going since I'm home and the waether is so nice.

I'll check out Avid's levers I bought a set of their Single Digit SL brakes before I left, I haven't installed them yet but it seems like good quality stuff.

Everybody,
Thanks for yor help on this, it was an easy fix but I don't know enough about it to figure it out obviously. I tried my bike shop over Christmas but it didn't get resolved for whatever reason. I'll post some pics of my bike when I'm done. I sent a lot of parts out to get anodized before I left. I haven't got ot put back together yet, I really wanna see what it looks like. I have other priorites right now though but I did want to get the lever issue resolved so I can have them on hand when I'm ready.

Thanks again,
Aaron

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Pretty funny honestly putting a $100 shifter on a $400 bike...BUT

If you're dead set on the upgrade, the single digit levers should work well with their brakes and that shifter. If your LBS (Bike shop) can't get it sorted, find a new one...that's a pretty simple upgrade in all honesty. In fact, they should have a pair of cheap levers lying around that will work for the time being...those are the kind of cheap impulse items that bike shops usually carry.

What size chainring are you running? A 36t front and 11-34 in the rear will give you enough range to ride just about anything, maybe not as fast as others but it should work. If you're on-road only, a bigger front should work too.

Aaron D

Chimp
Apr 7, 2010
I got the shifter used off eBay along w/ the $200 wheelset lol. Hey it's a hobby that I enjoy and it helps keep me out of the bars:thumb:.

After seeing what was going to happen eventually I have decided to pretty much replace everything and give the Trek to my wife, seriously. I have no idea how to pick a new frame to replace the 7.1 though. I dont' even know the difference/benefits in the different Trek 7 series frames besides materials and finish. The 7.1 is $430 and the 7.9 is $2,600. I don't really have any gripes about the current frame and fork set. Something lighter is always interesting but I want to keep the durability. I'm 5'10 and 170# so I'm not too hard on parts.

I did get an 11-34 cassette but I have a 49t front:eek:. Stock was 14-34 (7 speeds) and 48t. The stock setup seemed fine for starting out but I wanted a little to grow into plus the cranks are 5mm longer (175mm now). Bike is pretty much on-road only w/ some short cuts through grass. Tires aren't wide enough for anything too exciting.